Roll Call: Idaho- South

Hey Andy-
As you can see, the Refuge outreach in Idaho is a bit of a tuff scene. That being said-- would love to set up a weekend in the Treasure Valley to get out somewhere. Lots of respectable courses to choose from!

I’m noticing that, but that’s ok. I’m flying solo next weekend (25th-27th) and most weeknights until Labor Day, so if you’re looking to get out I’d love to join. I played Falcon Ridge over the weekend and really enjoyed the course, although pace of play was a bit slow. How would you rank the Treasure Valley courses? Any specific ones I should knock off my list before the season is over?

There are a few of us around but certainly not a lot of activity and interaction in the refuge to date. It appears you galvanized a group in Iowa previously. Maybe we can finally get something kick started here as the group gets larger. What brings you here from Iowa? Welcome.

I wouldn’t really claim galvanizing the group in Iowa, but I did technically start that Roll Call thread. I would love to see something similar develop here like I saw one of our members start up in Iowa. Thanks to Strapped: Iowa (S/O my old neighborhood and home course, Waveland), we have a yearly Butter Cow tournament. The tourney was based on the Strapped episodes and featured a butter cow trophy, as a nod to our most famous state fair sculpture.

I am not super knowledgeable on the depths of Idaho history and its unique quirks, but something similar would be an awesome event. Even just a small group such as those guys in Waveland Breakfast Ball Club out in Chicago would be a nice touch and great opportunity to build some interest.

I got brought out here for a job. After seeing the state, and my wife trying The STIL, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to come out this way.

1 Like

Welcome to the Treasure Valley! I will be interested to see what you think of area - feel free to fire off any questions. It would be awesome to get some kind of event started. I will say; between having small children and just taking over a family business, I’m not a reliable golf partner at the moment. Hope to start playing more next year when things have hopefully settled a bit.

My very subjective Treasure Valley course rankings. Note that these are the courses I play most regularly.

1. Shadow Valley Golf Course
  2. Quail Hollow
  3. Banbury
  4. Falconcrest - would be higher, but too much room between holes to walk and the 18th hole is an award-winning terrible hole
  5. River Birch
  6. Ridgecrest
  7. Eagle Hills
  8. Lakeview

I’ve heard good things about Timberstone in Wilder, but haven’t actually played it. There is a Tom Weiskopf designed planned for Star that I’m excited about. If you are a country club guy, I’ve played Spurwing and Hillcrest. I thought Hillcrest was a more interesting course. My understanding is that those two clubs are bursting at the seams with membership due to all the growth in the area. I have no clue about Crane Creek.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more about scheduling constraints, there never seems to be enough time. I am originally from here and played nearly every course, other than Crane Creek. I am happy to provide some feedback as well. Finaumental gave you a decent starting point. If you are willing to venture out of Boise, I think you can find other options too. Some of these may be worth driving too if you are flying solo and travel time isn’t as big of a concern. I like our mountain courses a lot and have driven to parts of Oregon and Washington for great experiences too. I would list the following for your awareness in no particular order:

Treasure Valley Area

• Timberstone (Caldwell/Wilder Area) may be one of perferred in the area
  • Red Hawk (Nampa Area- near Lake Lowell)- my closest course
  • RiverBend (Wilder) (a quirky course along the Snake River near our wine country) (bug spray)
    -Purple Sage- good bang for buck, drive it straight…

Take a trip to McCall area for a couple days and play:

• Jug Mountain (Outside Donnelly/McCall area) ( a big favorite of many)
  • McCall Courses (in McCall)
  • MeadowCreek (New Meadows area) about 30 mins out of McCall

As a fellow NLU fan, I will note that you are about 4 hours to Silvies Valley Ranch (Central Oregon). As you will recall, it was featured by Tour Sauce and on a few pod episodes. It is a semi reversable without gimic. It is definitely a two-day minimum so you can play both routings and par 3 options too. It has a golfer summer mountain camp vibe. Playing it in the fall is great as the temperatures fall (higher elevation), the fairways are baked from summer, and it plays hard and fast. My buddies and I have been a few times, if you need more information, just say the word. Finally, I am a big Walla Walla, WA fan (4 hours away). In addition to being great wine country, the Wine Valley golf course is one of my favorites (same architect as Silvies Valley Ranch).

2 Likes

Thank you @finaumenal and @Snaphooks2020 for the recommendations.

I completely get the small children and no time thing. My wife just got out here last weekend, and with the 5 month old I feel like I’ll never have a free moment again. That being said, if either of you are looking to get out one of these next few weekends let me know! Meeting people and playing golf would be great.

I played Falcon Crest when I first got out here and really enjoyed the course. The comment about 18 is hilarious because, while I hated the forced layup that backed up the hole 3 groups, it is the only hole I birdied in what was a very forgettable round. Made all the more ridiculous by the fact that I played the hole in the dark due to pace of play.

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem active here but let’s get it going again. Does anyone have Coeur d’Alene recs/connections (didn’t have time to go through the thread thoroughly)?

The ideal is hitting Gozzer Ranch and Black Rock, which I know are private, but you never know and I have some potential ways on if this doesn’t work. Also looking to hit CDA’s resort course and Circling Raven.

Osprey Meadows at Tamarack looks like it is building back up maybe?

Like some here, I’m a sicko and want to see a lot of places, so my initial inquiries always start out dreaming.

For reference…

I’ll tag @lazyjk here too.

@notjustinkaiser might have some. You’ve got the ones I know about (Circling Raven is fun).

2 Likes

When are you headed up there? Originally from CdA. Happy to answer questions.

1 Like

Gozzer is the regional white whale, super hard to get access. Black Rock is do able, but unfortunately I don’t have any more direct connections there. CDA National Reserve is the new one across the street from Black Rock, and no idea how hard that one is to get on… I actually just found out about it like 6 months ago after googling something along the lines of “what happened to the 2nd Black Rock course in Coeur d’Alene”. The Idaho Club I think is partially private/partially private. Never played it, heard good things, but I also personally hate Nicklaus designs so I’m not in a rush to play it.

In terms of public tracks in the area, Circling Raven and Palouse Ridge are FANTASTIC. Wine Valley is a few hours away and also highly recommended. The Coeur d’Alene Resort course is at the bottom of the list, but I feel like if you are only coming to the area once, you might as well play it. Will be great conditions, but outside of the par 3’s, it’s kind of meh.

3 Likes

What’s the opening date for courses? Originally weee looking at the 3rd week of May but if that is too early we’ll just go somewhere else this year.

@Jtkersh any local recs as far as restaurants/things to do?

I’ll give @notjustinkaiser a stamp of approval on everything noted here. 3rd week of May should be pretty safe weather wise-- most of the snow in the valleys should be melted by that point. Might get some cooler/wetter weather, but unlikely to have snow at that point.

Gozzer is near impossible to get access too, even with connections. Put that on the same lists as your other ultra private courses-- you need to know a member who will sponsor you and my understanding is they cap the number of visitors members can bring each year. Wouldn’t count on getting on.

Black Rock much easier to get on (at least in my experience) but my connection up there moved down to the Yellowstone Club, so unfortunately, I don’t have a hookup for you there either.

Idaho Club is a fun track-- semi-private, but with enough notice you can snag a tee time. Great hospitality-- they’ve really gone above and beyond to bring people back since their clubhouse burned down several years ago. They have some issues with drainage, so if its a wet spring, likely several holes will be closed. They’re right on the flood plane up there-- much better later in the season than early. I’m not a big Nicklaus design guy either, but this is my favorite of his along with The Old Works, just outside of Butte, MT.

Circling Raven is my personal favorite in the area. Grossly underrated course, IMO. I’d also echo Palouse Ridge being fantastic. Both are “play everyday” courses.

Galena Ridge is another one that I rarely see on anyone’s North Idaho lists that is a gem-- 9 hole course, but we’re talking legitimate mountain golf. Sights are unparalleled and there are multiple best hole contenders. Doesn’t see a ton of play, but god it’s so much fun.

The CDA Resort course stinks. Very gimmicky-- have to take a fore-caddie, stuffy/snobby, wildly overpriced for the experience. If you have the money aren’t too hot on the other options, I guess it’s worth seeing? I’ve played it a handful of times and I don’t ever need to go back.

I put a check on everything I can get on with a quick phone call-- many of these are public or semi-private courses. Couple of the private ones (Tributary, Headwaters, Blue Lakes, Hillcrest) can be tricky, but I’ve got shared membership at a few of them and have reliable connections at the others.

You know this already, but most of these are in the southern part of the state, where I live. The drive south from CDA is a jaunt and flying can be a tough scene. Traveling North - South through Idaho is a time sink-- no major freeways and you’re mostly doing switchbacks through the forest. Beautiful drive-- but plan on 6-10 hours, no matter your route.

3 Likes

Also tagging His Grace, @The_Cad_Says for another CDA perspective.

3 Likes

You can book Idaho Club tee times online.

2 Likes

I meant to put Galena Ridge in my list as well… quirky fun spot. Like @ty1x said, true mountain golf. I wish I had taken more pictures. Found more pictures!

4 Likes

Hudson’s Hamburgers in downtown C’dA!

1 Like

This is all great stuff guys. Thank you!

I’ll be doing CDA either way since it’s on my Top 100 quest. But the rest of this is awesome. Galena Ridge looks awesome.

1 Like

Would love to hear your impression! Maybe its not special to me because I’ve overpaid several times now :joy:

If you ever make your way to the southern part of the state be sure to hit me up! I’m 3 hours or less away from everything down here!

1 Like

Hi there.

I’ll echo a lot of what @ty1x has said, although I personally enjoy the resort. It’s not woke. At all. And yeah, the course isn’t that interesting other than maybe 3 or 4 holes (which are gimmicky, but still). I just like being pampered sometimes and I don’t find the $200 including cart and free range balls all that excessive. I also really enjoy getting up early and taking my boat to the golf course, which helps my overall positive impression!

Again, Circling Raven is by far the best golf course of the lot, and super damn cheap as well. Last time I was there in Sept 2022 it was still under $100 for a round, with cart. Do take a cart though. It’s a fucking loooong walk.

Black Rock I have lots of friends at and can most likely get you in there. It’ll depend on your dates and if anyone is actually resident at that point. A lot of them live in Vegas and only come up late May / early June. I’m not sure if they do unaccompanied at BR, I’ve never tried. It’s a really fun day out. Course is mental. Bar / restaurant / pool are good.

The National I’m not a huge fan of. It’s really fucking hard so unless you’re a + golfer who hits it arrow straight you spend too much time looking in dense brush for balls you are never finding. Where Black Rock goes in for fun times The National is just a slog. I did know someone there but unsure if he’s still got his house on property. I wouldn’t go out of your way to get a tee time though.

Galena I’ve not played yet but it’s on the list. I rarely get down to Kellogg in summer. The rest of the CDA courses are fine, but nothing special. Got lots of friends at Hayden CC if you want a swing round there. It’s okay. Great condition and old school charm, but the course is just a bunch of holes up and down a big field.

The Links out on the prairie between Post Falls and Rathdrum is definitely the best of the rest. It’s a treeless, undulating affair. Nothing like actual links, but fun nonetheless and super damn cheap. Usually not much more than $50.

Indian Canyon by the airport in Spokane is very much worth a knock. Again, crazy cheap and the oldest course in the region. They used to do Tour events there back is the day. Think hogan won a few. You’ll never play anywhere and wish they had a great big chainsaw so much. That place could be epic if they cleared it out and improved play lines. But still fun.

If you want any info on anywhere else in the area, just ask. I’ve played them all multiple times. I am also due to be out there in the spring at some point and am planning to be there for 4th July this year as well. So if I’m around when you are that would be cool. Happy to host you anywhere you like.

As a general note spring can be unpredictable. You can get lovely sunny weather. It can also snow. It’s usually in that “fine but not exciting” space. Most of the courses will open in May but the grass can be a bit patchy as it’s only really getting going about then, so the quality isn’t great. The season runs May - November up there. It doesn’t really get ‘hot’ until the start of July and they don’t raise the lake until well into June, so there’s no having fun on the water until then as the snow melt is still racing through the system and it’s cold as all hell.

As Justin said, Hudsons on Sherman is sublime for a the basic burger experience. Only two things on the menu - burger and cheesecake. You get to choose one patty or two, cheese or onions. And usually chocolate or lime pie. That’s it. So good.

There are a bunch of good restaurants around Sherman these days so just wander about and see what you fancy, but there’s another bunch up 4th Street if you’re happy to drive. Tony’s along the lake is good, although under new management I hear. Cedar’s I’m never that impressed with but some people like being on the lake. I prefer the places in Riverstone for value. Few good restaurants around Post Falls these days too. Especially along Spokane Street down to the Red Lion hotel by the bridge.

5 Likes