Roll Call: Idaho- South

New to the refuge, so I apologize ahead of time if I’m posting in the wrong section. Relocating from the Bay Area to Boise in 2 months. Hoping to connect with some refuge/NLU members in the area.

4 Likes

Welcome to Idaho! Hope that the move goes smoothly. I’m living in the northern part of the state, but grew up Boise and go back frequently. My DM’s are open if you need recs/suggestions on anything, and would love to link up and play a round when I’m in town. Hope you enjoy the golf scene as well. I think it’s great value/variety.

2 Likes

Would definitely welcome a round if you’re ever in the area. Played a couple different courses around there on some scouting trips over the last few years. Really thought the quality of the courses exceeded the value.

The front 9 at Shadow Valley is my favorite in the Treasure Valley. Probably heavily influenced by nostalgia (used to pay $5 as a junior to play), but I think it still provides the most interesting variety of shots in the area.

The back nine is extremely boring. Truly a tale of two nines.

3 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have another Refugee in the Treasure Valley.

1 Like

Fellow Boise golfer and nester her - both relatively recently

We moved back right before Covid, I work from home, and we have a one year old… so socializing has been at a minimum. Good to meet everyone, would love to get out and play with anyone who needs a fourth!

4 Likes

Couple of us playing Circling Raven tomorrow late morning if anyone fancies the drive up?

Not exactly the most popping of threads but wanted to throw out that I’m in Boise this week for work and have an open slot at Falcon Crest tomorrow (Sunday 4/30) at 3:30.

If any of the Treasure Valley contingent wants to join - let me know!

2 Likes

Let me know the next time you make it down to Rexburg / Idaho Falls / Pocatello area. We’ve got to have some type of meetup this summer. I’ve got some connections at Snake River Sporting Club (Jackson Hole) that I’m trying to work a deal to host an event at next year.

1 Like

For sure. Should have some work down there hopefully this summer!

1 Like

Sorry I missed this message. Hope you are back here again. There are dozens of Refugees here. Dozens!

Hello Idaho! I am coming through Boise (late June) on a journey back to Austin, Texas and looking for golf course suggestions and/or a Sherpa or two willing to play with me.

Any suggestions appreciated

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have a fellow Refugee come through - we seem to be few and far between. My travel schedule is a bit up in the air so I’m not sure if I will be available, but if I am, I would be happy to play Sherpa. Keep me posted on dates. As far as golf course selections go…

1. Shadow Valley Golf Course - this is the course I played the most as a kid and is my favorite. A tale of two nines - the front nine is fairly hilly and has the most interesting holes, and the back nine is a pretty standard parkland course. This course is walkable, but there are a few hikes on the front nine that are no joke.

2. Quail Hollow Golf Course - I’ve only played this once, but had a great time. It is similar to Shadow Valley, but not as walkable. I would recommend using a cart here, especially if you are playing 18. I walked nine and about passed out.

3. Banbury - The best neighborhood course in the area that I’ve played. Lots of houses, but is usually in great shape and not completely boring holes.

Other courses in the area to consider: Falconcrest in Kuna, Ridgecrest in Nampa/Caldwell area, and Timberstone in Wilder. These courses are a bit of a drive from Boise but are the most notable. Falconcrest is great, but 18 there is the worst hole I’ve ever played. So bad it might be good. I’ve never played Timberstone but toured the course for work and it seemed great.

Let me know what questions you have and when you are coming through!

1 Like

I brought it up in the Yuck Club thread after I played it last month.

So bad.

I drive in the afternoon/night of June 29th. Ready to play on the 30th, the earlier the better.

@finaumenal gave some great recommendations. If you make it to the east side of the state (Pocatello/Idaho Falls) I’d be happy to take you out somewhere! I’m guessing if you’re headed to Austin, you’d probably cut down and go through Salt Lake— Pocatello is about an hour detour off that route.

Anyone ever stay at Franklin House? Looks intriguing.

I may be making my way to Jackson Hole. So the East side may work.

I plan to play Quail Hollow. If you can join just tell me.

This is way late, but I just moved out here to the Treasure Valley from Iowa and would love to join some fellow Refugees for a couple rounds.