Roll Call: Houston

Signing up my buddy who’s not on the Refuge, but he’s in for Oct 1st! Looks like we’re up to 11 people…

2 Likes

Anyone played Memorial recently? Have a buddy coming in from out of town and he wants to play the course because of it it’s Houston history, but I’ve heard conditions have been rough over the hot summer.

It’s in the best shape it been in a long time. I know at some point in October they are moving to only 1PM shotgun starts every day for the rest of the month and then will close at the end of October until the Houston Open.

2 Likes

I played it on Labor Day. The greens were fantastic. Quick and smooth. Rough is growing up, and you easily could lose balls if you weren’t watching where they went into the rough. It was wet and played very long the morning we played.

2 Likes

Looks like East River 9 is getting very close. The website has a lot of info on it and says check back Oct 24th for tee times.

I’d love to have a Houston meet up there for some pitch and putt shenanigans.

15 Likes

The website isn’t loading tee times yet, but they did publish their rates…

Is it just me or is 34 a lot for a short course?

1 Like

Those prices are outrageous.

I wonder what their memberships will look like. :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

$46.00 for a nine hole par 3 course seems outrageous IMO.

4 Likes

Not to mention the $15 for a Bud Light (at least I’m assuming f&b will be ridiculously expensive too)

And this is why I play evening 9’s at Memorial for $28 walking…

Little OT discussion here but its one of my favorite Houston Discussion topics.

What is your favorite restaurant to go to? I am looking for some new places to try.

My favorite is definitely Hugos.

2 Likes

B&B Butcher’s or Tiny’s No. 5

1 Like

Depends what you’re looking for.

Steakhouse: Pappas Bros. or B&B Butchers.

Italian: Sorrento or Giacomo’s

Vietnamese: Huynh

Burger: Christian’s Tailgate

Chinese: China Garden

Let us know what you’re looking for.

Have you tried his other restaurants? Xochi and Caracol are great as is Backstreet Cafe. Haven’t tried URBE yet though.

Uchi doesn’t disappoint, especially at HH. Marmo is new but was really good. Kau Ba is another favorite.

1 Like

Eugene’s is a nice little spot as well

I treat myself to that $120 Steak sandwich at B&B once a year. Its worth it.

2 Likes

This is an awful take.

Enlighten us with your wisdom.

In light of Cafe TH’s untimely demise (RIP), I submit Nam Eatery on 20th and Moon Rabbit on 19th.

1 Like

Was popping in to tell all you Houstonians how lucky you are to have East River 9. Went out yesterday evening when in town. It was a blast!

Then went up thread and saw the disappointment in rates.

Maybe a touch high yet not more than folks drop at Top Golf without even thinking.

Anyhow, one visitor’s opinion

6 Likes