Roll Call: Houston

Gus Wortham is another solid, walkable Muni closer to the center of town that’s worth exploring. Wildcat has two fun public options as well.

So I married into a Houston family and love the city. I’ll be in town on Thursday 2/6 and playing Memorial at 7:40am, I’m pretty sure we have 1 spot open. If you’re interested let me know and I’ll confirm availability. I think we might be playing Wild Horse on Sunday 2/9 but that might be in flux.

Anyways, I did an internship in Houston back in 2011 and lived in Willowbrook/worked in Gunspoint (as told to me by my coworkers). We don’t get back often enough, the food scene in H-town is unreal.

How did you book memorial so far in advance?

1 Like

I don’t know, my FIL took care of it. I think he had said there are “premium tee times” that are available to book further out in advance but I don’t know details about them. I wish I was more helpful. On the other hand, he may be canceling this outing so I’ll have to make another trip back.

Went to the driving range at Memorial last night and could not have been more disappointed. Not being able to hit driver, woods, or hybrids unless you got one of like eight spots sucks and the “rough” style mats are even worse. I’m very curious how they plan to accommodate Tour players wanting to warm up before the tournament in October.

5 Likes

I’ve played at Memorial three times since the renovation, but I am still pretty convinced that people are using bots to lock up tee times. San Francisco / Bay Area had as huge problem with bots for booking camp sites, which can be found here: https://www.adventure-journal.com/2018/08/campsite-hopelessly-booked-could-be-bots/

I tried to talk to the guys in the pro shop about the issue and could not have been met with more apathy.

How did I get on three times? On a Friday night randomly found an 11:00am tee time for Saturday, which I’m pretty sure someone cancelled and I just got lucky. The other two times I walked on as a single, and only had to wait 30 minutes. If your group is more than a single and you want to walk on, get ready to wait a couple of hours.

In my opinion, until they fix the reservation system Gus Wortham is Houston’s go-to muni.

I’m not sure if this is a new feature (I did not notice it until last Thursday when I attempted to beat the clock for a Sunday tee time), but the Memorial site now has the option to book Advance Tee Times for a fee of $15. They let you book up to 30 days out now

2 Likes

Woah! Thanks for sharing. Do you know if it’s $15 per person or $15 for the tee time? I guessing the former, but thought I would ask.

Looks to be $15/person unfortunately. I’m thinking that’s still worth it just to guarantee a weekend morning though

1 Like

Played Memorial yesterday … a glorious Sunday destroyed by Tom Doak’s evil genius. I had heard horror stories about the excruciatingly long rounds but we whipped through in just over 4 hours. I’m a short knocker off the tee and it was soggy from previous rain. After the 5th hole I accepted that the green contours were going to punish the trajectory of longer irons. So I just layed up (yeah yeah…) leaned on my wedges and enjoyed the round. Considering how cheap it is to play the 15 buck to lock in a tee time isn’t really that bad. Parking was the worst part of the day.

3 Likes

Psych on me. My nightmare sister-in-law has her wedding the next day in Austin and put the kibosh on Memorial for next week.

booooo

1 Like

Should definitely give Public Services, Bad News Bar, Tongue Cut Sparrow, and La Carafe a look if you are in Downtown. Plenty of Bars in Midtown, probably just start at Little Woodrows and Walk around. In the heights check out Lei Low, Cedar Creek (plenty of places around there), or 8th row flint.To add to the great list of restaurants you should check out One Fifth.

2 Likes

Anyone in here been to Whiskey River out in Willowbrook or Drink Houston (now closed) off Katie?

Whiskey River is decent, not amazing by any stretch but one of the better bars in the area. If you like country music, Big Texas is pretty close and better.

Thanks to the advance thing, I have a Memorial Park tee time for the asscrack of dawn on a Wednesday in February as a solo. Gonna call up the pro shop tomorrow and beg and plead for them to let me show up early so I can get in a full walking round before I go in to the Houston office for the day.

1 Like

Haven’t been since I lived in town in 2011 but was living out that way. Coming from New England I really had no idea what to expect the first time I went; it was eye opening to say the least.

If we block a few advanced tee times off at Memorial or Gus, we could get a mini meet up going.

I’m in for either…those are two of my favorites in the area.

Let’s do it