Roll Call - GB & IRE

Hi guys,
I’m from Meath about 1 hour from Dublin where I work. Long time lurker here but signing in to say 100% in on an Irish Refuge get together.

4 Likes

Yeah the 14th was the one I was thinking about, I know they redesigned it as they had started when I last played and from what we seen they look to have vastly improved it

Might get up for an open during the summer months!

1 Like

Played The Island last summer and it immediately went into my top 5 played and for me it’s a far better golf course than a couple of the more highly rated ones in Ireland!

I see you’ve played my place as well from your profile pic!

1 Like

Which passport? If ever there was a man who had access to multiple passports, it must be you!

I have two Andy. British & Irish. As a fellow Norn Irelander surely you’ve pulled that trick yourself?

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. If the members were to be believed the course would better be served as a cow pat, although I’d guessa section of the members of all courses have that view of their own place.

Indeed, I went up August 2017 with my brother and parents and played both courses along with a trip over to murvagh. It was so much fun, can’t wait to get back up to the North West. There are so many good courses up there along with the Tom coyne favourite cruit island that I’ve made it my mission to get to soon.

Absolutely, we can. Sure the country is tiny, wouldn’t take much in the form of logistics to get it arranged.

Sure we have taken as much credit as possible for Clarke, Gmac and Rory so you’re more than welcome.

1 Like

I’ve been telling anyone who’ll listen for ten years that I’m from the same town as Rory. Even though we left there before he was born! :joy:

1 Like

I plan on it! Haven’t got round to it yet though. Part of me wants to do it so I can hide one of the passports with a wad of cash in case I need to flee the country in a hurry.

1 Like

Fuck me. Supposed to be playing The Grove tomorrow on an away day with my club. Sat here excited, thinking about what time to get up and all that.

On Twitter. There’s a pic of all my mates at The Grove. I’m like wtf?!

Turns out I got the day wrong and it was today.

What a fucking idiot.

£200 wasted. :rage:

Yeah all clubs have a section of members that think their course is crap and also a section who believe it’s the best course in the country! It’s usually the ones who never play anywhere other than their home course and if they do occasionally venture somewhere else they play awful and blame it on the course being crap and can’t wait to get back to their home course :roll_eyes:

I’ve not played Cruit Island although I did take a drive up to it one day when me and the wife were away for a weekend and it is some setting and looks great fun, promised myself a run up to play it one day! Plenty good courses up this way and well worth making a base up here for a few days golf that you’ll not be more than an hour away from if you stay in the right place!

Chaps (and chapesses, if we have any!)

I’ve got our first RACDG meeting coming up next weekend. For those who don’t know, we set up a wee society out of NLU listeners / Refugee golf perverts and the GB&I lot are having their first meeting next weekend 14-15th April at Moortown and Alwoodley in Yorkshire. Plan is to play, watch Rory win the Masters, then play again Monday and have the craic.

One of the participants had to pull out yesterday so I thought I’d come in here and see if anyone happened to be free and fancied it? Cost is £250 for golf, dinner, bed & breakfast. All a bit last minute and I’m not expecting much here, but I’m gonna be down £250 if I don’t find anyone.

Thanks

Very sorry not to be making this, I will be on my way to Scotland with the family for Easter. Will def try and make the next one.

1 Like

Moved there about 6 months ago and I’d be happy to play anytime around Dublin. The Island is amazing, though a tad difficult :slight_smile: Was Lucky enough to play there once already.

Philippe

Count me in.

Hi all,

Looking into a trip to Carne Golf Links on May 1st. For The Golfers Journal afficionados, it’s been featured by Tom Coyne in Issue #7 of TGJ.
Anyone interested to join ? It’s quite a drive from Dublin, but I think definitely worth it.

Philippe

1 Like

I’d love to but don’t have the leave available. Been wanting to get to Carne (having read Coyne’s ‘A Course Called Ireland’) and hope to get there someday. May have to use my in-laws house as a half way house, and even then it’s nearly 3 hours to get out there!

Yeah it is quite a ride. I still work for France so I’m off on the 1st. Probably looking at leaving Dublin around 4 am and back (very) late that same day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jesus that’s a long day! :flushed:

That’s like driving from Paris to Seignosse, playing 18, and driving back!

1 Like