Roll Call - GB & IRE

Another new member in London, UK, but from Dublin originally. Only started playing golf recently (22-23 Handicap) but looking to join up with some other golfers in the area!

4 Likes

Hello mates, hope this message finds everyone well. I have pulled the trigger on a week in Ireland (5/21-58) and am seeking advice and intel. I am about to dig into a Course Called Ireland, but for now my knowledge is limited to Tourist Sauce.

As such, my tentative plan would be to land in DUB midday on 5/21 and try to play a “warmup” round around Dublin (ideas I have been thrown: Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, St. Anne’s, K Club). Stay in Dublin Sun night then make my way clockwise around the coast.

Original plan was for Old Head that Monday, but didn’t realize it’s “stature”/desirability. 400$/round and only one time available that week. So have been advised maybe a skip due to value. So, first specific question. Anyone know of Cork Golf Club? Seems nice and on the way to Waterville. Or maybe just try to do the whole jaunt that AM and try to play Waterville that PM?

The rest of the courses I’m hoping to play would be Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Carne. Then I just learned this morning that this little place called Royal County Down is GolfDigest’s #1 course in the WORLD (who knew?? not me clearly). So on the off chance I could get on there then finish up with that. Otherwise this new St. Patrick’s Links is esteemed, but new so no feedback from friends on it.

I feel like I’m rambling now, so I’ll just finish by asking if this sounds like a reasonable plan? As a single I’m hopeful that I can more easily get on courses. Also if there’s any courses that I’ve missed that are “must see” or “hidden gems” please let me know. Apologize if this comes across as ignorant (ie RCD), but truly struggling to contain my excitement about making my first international golf trip.

Appreciate any thoughts. Cheers!

5 Likes

There are many (some may say too many) Ireland trip planning threads. What I love about your post is that you plan to play the incredible courses in and around Dublin. Many don’t. Avoid the K Club. Play Portmarnock (the Championship course, but the hotel and links course is ok too), the Island GC, Royal Dublin and Corballis.

As regards the rest of your trip, I refer you to the gazillions of Irish trip itineraries.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/the-honourable-association-of-trip-planners/83854/699

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/ireland-trip-recommendations/9976/2398

4 Likes

As @Thinbullet said definitely get into the other threads.

That said… I love that you are looking into Cork Golf Club. Most people focus on links in Ireland (rightly so), but Cork GC is a recently renovated MacKenzie and is so damn good. It’s fun, has some quirky holes, and won’t beat you up too bad. Last time I played it was in 2021 and I think was around 130 euro.

2 Likes

I feel @TomKGolf might be able to help too…

2 Likes

Happy to help and thanks to @Wabinez for the mention too!

Cork GC, not really on the way to Waterville (approx 3-4 hours away) but a lovely course and it’s not every day you can say you played an MacKenzie design! If heading from Dublin to Kerry via Cork then I would include Mount Juliet on the way down, if you’re looking to get a few parkland courses in that is. I’m happy to host at Killarney GC if our calendars align which I hope they will. I know a running joke during Tourist Sauce was “no Old Head?” - it is a stunning spot and if you can make it down there while visiting Cork then I would - plus the Blacks Distillery is nearly ready for Tours too!!

Into Kerry and Clare in the South West - availability is tight at Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch but if it’s just you then you should be okay - keep in mind Tralee and Ballybunion don’t offer weekend green fees unless you’re teeing it up with a Member. RCD as far as I know is booked out for the whole year now but as a Single they might be able to fit you in, our last enquiry there was for 4 golfers and they had literally 1 tee time left and that was a few months back. I think a Norn Ireland Trip should be in 2024!! You could St Patrick’s Links as part of this, it’s nearly 7 hours from Killarney to Rosapenna but still worth the drive if you have the time and inclination.

If playing Carne then try to include Strandhill, Co Sligo (Rosses Point) and Enniscrone. Right, that’s my considerable 2 cents…!

5 Likes

Dooks GC is a good alternative if you don’t get out in BallyB or Tralee or have time to fit in an extra course.

Depending on how you travel from Kerry/ Clare you could play Connemara GC (I am a Member so am a bit biased but is a lovely track) on the way to Carne and then play Strandhill and Enniscrone on the way from Carne to your next location.

Donegal has a few great courses and you could nearly do a full trip there alone these days but St Patricks does look to be the main one as of now (playing there myself in June this year). The Glasheedy at Ballyliffin is a great course in Donegal too. If you are venturing towards Royal County Down and have time I would look at Ardglass which is nearby and Royal Portrush which is a couple hours away.

2 Likes

Good call on Dooks, love it there!

Playing Connemara on Friday 5th May, looking forward to it. I missed playing there with the Murrays & Tom Coyne back in 2021.

4 Likes

cough NAME DROP cough

2 Likes

Do you need some calpol @AndyDowney ?? :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry, don’t know what came over me there. Something caught in my throat!

1 Like

Hello everyone! Thanks for the insights! It’s a tough balance of not overcommitting but needing to get times reserved ahead. The full pay with no refund are tough terms, so fingers crossed no setbacks or delays :crossed_fingers:

Anyway, to the fun part. Here is what I have penciled so far:

Sun. Arrive to Dublin and see how I feel. Hopefully feel up for playing somewhere in Dublin (@Thinbullet do you have a favorite if I play Sunday). Night in Dublin.

Mon. 10a portmarnock
See how I feel whether stay in Dublin or head west.

Tues. 2p Tralee (if drive mon then maybe try for Dooks early am)
@TomKGolf I think you are somewhere in this area correct? So depending what your schedule looks like closer to trip time, maybe we can connect on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wed. 10a Waterville
See how I feel and either head to Ballybunion or try for Dooks pm

Th. 7:22 Ballybunion
4:30 Lahinch
Probably crash nearby after long day

Fri. See if last minute opening at Lahinch to have 2nd crack or head up to carne

Sat. Free day to hopefully get on rcd, portrush. Or another carne or enniscrone or Sligo. Or st Patrick’s.

Sun. 12p flight from Dublin

Feel free to call out any issues or misses. Or if anyone has connections for portrush or rcd I would not hate that :crazy_face: all this planning I wish I could go next week!! Once all finalized the wait is going to be brutal….

1 Like

Corballis is a nice little links (according to most people . . . it’s completely wrong for my game!) on the Northside of Dublin if you’re looking for a game the day you arrive. Shouldn’t be too difficult to get on, and it’s only about €35 or so iirc.

My only concern about your trip is that you’re doing an awful lot of driving. You’d be better off committing to either Carne (plus Enniscrone, County Sligo, Strandhill, or any others I haven’t listed) or doing the courses up north.

1 Like

It’s May isn’t it? Just making sure I have your dates right!

Okay, feedback!

Sun. Arrive to Dublin and see how I feel. Hopefully feel up for playing somewhere in Dublin. Night in Dublin - Portmarnock Links is a lovely hotel or the Grand in Malahide

Mon. 10a Portmarnock
See how I feel whether stay in Dublin or head west. I would head South West after the golf if finishing around 2/3pm at PGC

Tues. 2p Tralee (if drive mon then maybe try for Dooks early am)
Happy to meet up either on the Tuesday or Wednesday, if you head for the SW after PGC then stay in Killarney if you have a late start at Tralee. We might get an early morning game at Killarney!

Wed. 10a Waterville
See how I feel and either head to Ballybunion or try for Dooks pm - I would do both if you can, play Dooks in the late afternoon and head onto Ballybunion after that. Would recommend Teach de Broc, 19th Lodge (Mary puts Baileys in the Porridge!) or Cashen Course House which are all custom built Guest Houses right across from the golf club. Ideal for those early tee times!

Th. 7:22 Ballybunion
4:30 Lahinch
Probably crash nearby after long day

Fri. See if last minute opening at Lahinch to have 2nd crack or head up to carne
Head up to Belmullet, play 27 holes at Carne and stay the night up there. Make sure to call to McDonnell’s for a pint!

Sat. Free day to hopefully get on rcd, portrush. Or another carne or enniscrone or Sligo. Or st Patrick’s.
Enniscrone gets my vote, unless you get on RCD or Royal Portrush. St Patrick’s is a long drive, although worth it!

Sun. 12p flight from Dublin

3 Likes

Corballis is the way to go on your first day. Portmarnock is one of the best courses in the world. I’m still loving that you’re playing these courses around Dublin, it baffles me that most on this board don’t.

5 Likes

Hi Dan,

I joined The Refuge about 15 minutes ago and was scrolling through to see if there were many members near me.

Funnily enough, I live and play at Chippenham Golf Club!

I started playing Golf in 2019 and although each year I meet new people to play with, i dont have many in my group and im keen to explore the Golf in this area and play new courses.

If this post still reflects your situation, feel free to message me!

Regards,
Joe

4 Likes

Welcome aboard

2 Likes

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/ireland-trip-recommendations/9976/2497?u=greebs

Wondering how expensive golf balls are over on the Emerald Isle…

any particular brand, you get Prov’s for 50-60 euro

1 Like

Okay. That’s so much but they’re roughly the same in USD here so good to know. I play Srixon Z-Stars or ProV1x usually but at some point I’m not good enough to be hyper picky.

1 Like