Roll Call - GB & IRE

It is indeed! He and I are pairs partners in a society we’re both members of. Got to the semis this year but we both had a bad day at Muswell Hill.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, small world…I’ll mention we are connected next time I see him at West Hill. Where do you play your golf?

Essendon Country Club in Herts. You’re more than welcome any time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First post in this awesome community. North London based and hopelessly addicted to golf :grimacing:

I’m based in Bristol and play at The Kendleshire :golfing_man:‍♂

Welcome @anon3456542. I’m in Herts just outside town. Member at Essendon. Where do you live / play?

Hello @Grantley1988 too!

Thanks @The_Cad_Says… play at Centurion. Not played Essendon but heard good reviews

Likewise, heard good things about Centurion. I know a guy called Sid Cox who’s a member there but I haven’t played it yet.

Essendon has good bits and bad bits. The Old Course is better than the New but both have their merits. And things that are shit! But it has a great clubhouse and ownership and members. That counts for a lot!

1 Like

@Grantley1988 @BertWooster @AndyDowney @AD87 @mcboo @Fitzy @AllanTB2

Hi all.

I’ve just started another thread on here about starting a NLU wide golf playing society called The Royal & Ancient Company of Dishonourable Golfers (RACDG), which is basically a fun way to potentially get together and play a round or two over the course of the year. A couple of you have already given the idea thumbs up but I thought I’d throw it out to the rest of the GB & I to see if there was much interest.

It’ll just be a bit fun and silliness. A match somewhere to crown the RACDG Champion Golfer of the Year.

Any takers?

3 Likes

@ckflagshagga @evalu18

(see above) :slight_smile:

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Love it…I’m in

1 Like

This sounds like a good idea and I’d certainly be interested in seeing where this goes :+1:

1 Like

Should have mentioned @The_Cad_Says, welcome at Centurion if you fancy a knock. I’ve only been there 6 months so getting to know the members, haven’t bumped into Sid yet.

I was at Hendon before. Nice enough Colt design but awful in the winter with the heavy clay

1 Like

So away from the craziness of the RACDG thread, I was thinking that we wee inaugural meet of the GB&I chapter could be Alwoodley in Leeds. It’s the first course MacKenzie ever designed and I’ve wanted to play it for a while. Plus its kind of the middle of the country so I can make it up from London and the Scottish contingent can make it down in about the same length of time. My fellow Paddies would have to fly but there are cheap flights to Leeds and we’d have a few months lead time.

They’ve actually got a special deal on to play there and then Moortown the next day, with B&B locally for £189. I’ve always wanted to do that on Masters weekend so we could play The Shut comp, then retire to the bar to watch Rory win The Masters. BTW, Moortown is a RTJ but I kinda like the irony of a MacKenzie, then an RTJ for the Hangover Cup!

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Great idea @The_Cad_Says… can’t argue with that

1 Like

sounds awesome

1 Like

Hi @mcboo… huge fan of Hadley Wood, actually had an interview to join there a few years ago but didn’t join in the end as I didn’t fancy a 45min drive. Just love the place…

Have you been there long…?

Hi there…I joined two years ago when I got back into golf. I’m really happy there, very good members club and a properly testing course. I played last weekend with some of the old boys (two of whom have been there for 50 years), they said this was the best condition the course has ever been in. There’s a very young and progressive management team, that and the conditioning has attracted a bunch of very good young new members in the last couple of years…scratch county champs, highest handicap in the team is 1 now I think.

How are you enjoying Centurion? Top notch conditioning there too I’m told.