Roll Call: East Tennessee

Yeah they renovated 3 and 17 in addition to the short game area. I think they consulted on some other aestheic changes around the course

1 Like

DM me, my guy. I can help.

Did GM fill up their 15 slots before the price hike yet? Thinking about it too…

1 Like

Only one way to find out!

(I have no idea)

1 Like

Total Chattanooga novice here. Meeting a buddy mid March for a quick overnight and all day golf. He is in Louisville and Atlanta for me, so figured Chattanooga a good meeting spot far enough South for hopefully closer to spring conditions. And good recommenations for a couple double digit handicappers trying to pull off 36 on a Saturday?

3 Likes

You mean besides Sweetens Cove?

• Bear Trace is pretty fun public option
  • Nob North is solid
  • McLemore May allow some public play
  • if you can get on private clubs the order would go (honors, cgcc, lookout or Black creek, council fire)
2 Likes

It’s not Chattanooga, but worth considering Old Toccoa Farm as well.

3 Likes

Sweetens Cove + Sewanee in the same day is the move. They’re 20-30 mins apart from each other. And it makes for an unbeatable day. Hit Sewanee in the morning and eat lunch there. Drive down the mountain and play 18+ at Sweetens (and have your camera ready at golden hour).

1 Like

Only trouble with sweetens (or anywhere in East Tennessee)in March is you’re smack in the middle of mud season.

Have a backup planned, just trust me.

4 Likes

Formula for East Tennessee winters lately:

November through early January - 40 to 55ish degrees with random spurts of maybe snow maybe not. Still sunny

Late January through March: (as holeout mentioned) overcast and rain more times than not and as of the past few years probably will have flooding out west in March

1 Like

100%
I have friends and co-workers in Murfreesboro and Nashville and they have said that the last 3 or 4 years have been as wet as they’ve ever seen it in March. Warm, but very wet.
I will probably have to wear out F&G if that’s the case this year. It’s been on my list of things to check out for about a month.

2 Likes

I had a former coworker who spoke highly of F&G when he had been a member/paid for it however that works. I think that had been awhile ago though. So other than him I don’t hear much about it. I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

1 Like

@ChuckV247 @Tristar Fairways and Greens is pretty solid when it’s not dumping rain. I think they’ve made improvements to the drainage, but the last 5 months I was a member there in late 2019, whenever I wanted to go practice (at night or when it was raining since they have covered bays) they would be closed because they couldn’t pick the range due to it being a swamp.

I joined a club soon after, dropped it, and didn’t look back. I think they’ve improved some, but they also don’t cap membership so in prime months the grass gets chewed up pretty badly.

If you’ve never been a member before, they’ll usually let you try it out a couple times before you decide to join (at least if you ask they likely will). The golf boom has likely made this less likely now, but it’s worth asking.

1 Like

That makes sense…was wondering if the indoor areas are any better from a practice perspective or if it’s just beating balls on a Trackman.
There is the Target driving range up near Karns and it has lighted/heated/covered bays as well. Might check that out sometime soon as well.

1 Like

No trackman inside except on appointment basis I believe. Give ‘em a call. The bays are heated at FnG tho.

1 Like

I’m a member at F&G now. Nothing inside except for a few hitting bays without simulators and a putting green. They still close the range when it’s rainy due to drainage. They did just redo the short game area and it’ll be ready for spring. The tracer bays are solid but sadly close with the range.

1 Like

I got my Sweetens pass for late April and wondering what other courses to check out. I’ve played Sewanee, Sweetens, Bear Trace, and Brainerd. Do any of the private courses open up tee times to the public?

1 Like

McLemore has a shotgun pattern of advertisements on social media, my guess is if you wanted to try it out they’d let you. Definitely need a member for most of the others.

Don’t sleep on Nob North too as a public option

2 Likes

If you request information on their site they 100% will invite you to come check it out with a special package. Anyways, sup guis. Just dropping this on the off chance any of you eastern / SE TN folk (no offense) wanted to come get into some shenanigans.

HELP!!! I have been given some suggestions around Lexington Ky and Knoxville Tn. Any thoughts on these courses? Kearney Hill Golf Links, Island Pointe GC, Gibson Bay GC or Griffin Gate GC. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.