Roll Call: East Tennessee

That makes sense…was wondering if the indoor areas are any better from a practice perspective or if it’s just beating balls on a Trackman.
There is the Target driving range up near Karns and it has lighted/heated/covered bays as well. Might check that out sometime soon as well.

1 Like

No trackman inside except on appointment basis I believe. Give ‘em a call. The bays are heated at FnG tho.

1 Like

I’m a member at F&G now. Nothing inside except for a few hitting bays without simulators and a putting green. They still close the range when it’s rainy due to drainage. They did just redo the short game area and it’ll be ready for spring. The tracer bays are solid but sadly close with the range.

1 Like

I got my Sweetens pass for late April and wondering what other courses to check out. I’ve played Sewanee, Sweetens, Bear Trace, and Brainerd. Do any of the private courses open up tee times to the public?

1 Like

McLemore has a shotgun pattern of advertisements on social media, my guess is if you wanted to try it out they’d let you. Definitely need a member for most of the others.

Don’t sleep on Nob North too as a public option

2 Likes

If you request information on their site they 100% will invite you to come check it out with a special package. Anyways, sup guis. Just dropping this on the off chance any of you eastern / SE TN folk (no offense) wanted to come get into some shenanigans.

HELP!!! I have been given some suggestions around Lexington Ky and Knoxville Tn. Any thoughts on these courses? Kearney Hill Golf Links, Island Pointe GC, Gibson Bay GC or Griffin Gate GC. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Island Point is a fun track.
When I lived in Lexington I played Kearney a bunch, its a good course as well, usually in great shape as well.

1 Like

Kearney Hills is can’t miss imo. Such a great property and value.

Island Pointe (fka River Islands) stinks. Pace of play is normally miserable, conditions are suspect, and it’s on its third ownership group in about 10 years. Oh, the routing also leaves a ton to be desired.

Some like it, but I couldn’t disagree with them more. (Sorry @ChuckV247)

Never heard of the other two.

If you’re in/around Knoxville, for public play I’d take Three Ridges or Willow Creek before Island Pointe all day.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Extremely fair points on all of it!! I think 3 Ridges has been the most fun for me and I like Egwani too outside of 11.

11 at Egwani is maybe the worst hole ever conceived.

7 Likes

I fee l like it’s 100% fixable too. Move 10 green back about 45 to 50 yards and then hit the tee shot for 11 down the hill as a short par 4. That hole would actually be fun because there would be options!

2 Likes

Have a group of 8 deciding where to go for a weekend trip this year. Knoxville and Chattanooga are on the radar, but we don’t know much about the golf scene. I’ve been to Sweetens, and we have tried to acquire Sweetens passes for the weekend we would be there but we failed like most everyone. Can people make recommendations on either spot? One guy in our group is a member at a private around Johnson City, so privates may be on the table, but public is probably more our speed, as abilities range from like a 2 hcp to a 25. Also areas to stay would help. We prefer the big house airbnb options, but doesn’t have to be like that.

1 Like

Public golf in Knoxville is kind of spread out. Best options are:

Willow Creek
Three Ridges
Egwani Farms

If your buddy is a member at a private, he can probably get a decent rate at somewhere like Oak Ridge as well. There’s also a fun par 3 course called Williams Creek just near downtown Knoxville.

2 Likes

If you want something public in Johnson City area try Graysburg Hills. 36 holes way out in the country, Resse Jones course and very playable…conditions may vary.

Just out of curiosity, is he a member at JCCC or Blackthorn?

I think you could put together a decent trip in Western NC. You could likely get on Roaring Gap CC with a call from the HP, and add others like Olde Mill, Cross Creek CC, Olde Beau, etc.

27, but this is the answer

1 Like

Haven’t been to Graysburg yet, but reviews have been solid. Pretty sure they have an all day play option, which would make for a good day of golf to just keep looping.

First 18 is great. I think the last 9 is a little carnival-ish, but still good fun.