Roll Call: Duval

Knew I could count on you… paging @JCO

1 Like

Does anyone here have personal experience with the Club Champion Jacksonville location for a fitting? Tried looking around to see if anyone had posted about this specific location but couldn’t find anything. Want to get fitted here but want to make sure it will be worth the money/drive from South GA. Thanks everyone.

If you’re really wanting to do the Club Champion thing you should check out Bryan Golf in Fleming Island. He used to fit for Club Champion at their Jax location and went out on his own.

He knows his stuff, has all the clubs and shafts, uses a GCQuad for his numbers, and is fastidious in his club assembly.

4 Likes

I don’t have any experience with CC but I did do a PGA Superstore fitting for my last driver on a trackman and loved the results.

Depending on what you’re looking to fit into, I would 100% recommend the Jacksonville location. If you want I can look up my fitter’s name. They charge for the fitting, but if you buy something the fitting fee is waived where CC doesn’t do that. Also, from what I understand there’s no OEM shafts at CC and you’ll be testing mostly overpriced gear.

I’ve heard of people getting their fitting done and piecemeal the clubs from the fitting on their own to save some $$$.

1 Like

I’m available Saturday if you still have a spot.

We have already found a 4th, my apologies I should have edited the post. If anything changes I’ll dm you right away.

1 Like

No worries! Thanks!

as @OffTheDole says, Bryan is amazing. I have a tough time finding shafts to handle my swing, and Bryan had it all, not to mention the amount of knowledge he has, plus a cool shop.

4 Likes

Me too but I can assure you it’s for a completely different reason

2 Likes

Hey folks,
In town with my Dad to hopefully watch our Colts clinch the playoffs this Sunday. Planning on getting one in on Jax Beach just cause I’ve seen it so much in video and have always wanted to play. Sawgrass seems a little too rich for our blood so looking for something a little less pricey. Also any recommendations on some good restaurants or bars around Jax would be appreciated, especially for CFB championship on Monday. Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone interested in playing in the 2-man scramble this Thursday at Jax Beach? I might be swayed into going if I had a partner

first time, long time…
Does anyone have a recommendation for lessons / golf teacher out in the beaches area? Bounced around a few folks, but most have moved away at this point

1 Like

Bob Mattiace - Teaches out of UNF & Blue Sky. Very old school but a savant
Justin Ragognetti - Teaches out of The Yards. Works with pros (like Andrew Alligood) and a lot of college players
Hayes Farley - Teaches out of San Jose Country Club. Excellent teacher, second-generation PGA pro.
Dan Carraher - Teaches out of South Hampton. Works with pros and college players.
Reed Webb - Teaches out of Coastal Indoor Golf so you get TrackMan 4 or GCQuad numbers.

4 Likes

yes! Thanks!

1 Like

@Carini I second Hayes Farley.

1 Like

I took a lesson a few years ago from Dan Carraher. He’s definitely got a great way of explaining things and was very encouraging. The only issue was that he really wanted to make some wholesale changes to my swing that I couldn’t commit to. I understood what he was asking, why he wanted to do it, etc., but I just knew that I wasn’t going to be able to practice nearly enough to make the type/extent of changes he wanted. Dan really understands the golf swing, just was not the right fit for me.

That’s not surprising. Dan does know a lot and has strong opinions about how people should swing.

IMO that works for high level juniors and college kids, not necessarily for us old folks.

1 Like

I’d recommend Tim Spangler at St Johns. I worked with him in college and he’s super knowledgeable.

1 Like

New to JAX area. Played Blue Sky and JAX Beach so far. Any must play munis?

Will add: I’m looking to get back into golf and I don’t know ANYONE here. I’m very open to joining tee times. Lol.

2 Likes

There aren’t necessarily a ton of traditional munis here like Jax Beach that are owned by the city. But there are a lot of public access/semi-private courses you can play.

Can probably look through the thread for suggestions but my favorite courses in the area that anyone can play would be:

Jax Beach
St. John’s Golf & Country Club (not to be confused w St. John’s Golf Club, that place sucks lol)
South Hampton
North Hampton
Oak Marsh
Amelia River
Eagle Landing
Eagle Harbor
Queens Harbour

Some of those can be expensive but you can find decent deals for most on golf now. Didn’t include Sawgrass that anyone can play for $4-500.

Dyes Valley/King n Bear/Slammer n Squire are three more that you can play that are really nice but are a bit pricey.

2 Likes