Roll Call: Colorado -- @PJM v Colorado Golfers, @PJM only half guilty

Thanks - so at least it’s not a full resort course setup with 1/4mi btw green + tee?

Not that I recall. I remember a few treks between green and tee, but if you don’t mind walking, it’s fine. It’s just about all I do so I don’t mind and don’t ever remember walking something I wouldn’t again.

Walking CO National is doable. But there are some holes with a bit of an up and down elevation change and a few with bit of a walk between them.

1 Like

I wouldn’t suggest walking CO National, but it’s doable. It’s a course through a housing development, so there are some spots where you have long walks between holes.

1 Like

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Wanted to throw out some praise for Haymaker in Steamboat…fun layout and a nice walk!
Fingers crossed for a good week in Colorado

6 Likes

Scotland light out here this afternoon!!

5 Likes

Some good nuggets on the history of Denver muni golf, including: “The name was an homage to Willis Case Jr., a wealthy stockbroker who’d been killed by his girlfriend in a murder-suicide. Case had left an endowment to the city to build a golf course.” That’s wild man.

https://www.westword.com/news/denver-golf-pandemic-social-distancing-development-11760363

3 Likes

Hey Roll Call: Colorado. I’m new to the refuge so i hope this post’s content is in the correct thread.

My buddy and are are playing Buffalo Run (a muni in Commerce City) this Sunday. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the course. I know its a Keith Foster design…but thats the end of my knowledge on the place.

1 Like

Welcome! Haven’t played buffalo run but report back any findings/spicy takes

My thoughts/spicy takes on Buffalo Run Golf Course.
· Just too begin I want to make it clear that I am just one random golfer and in no way a real golf course reviewer. With that caveat out of the way, Buffalo Run Golf course should be passed up at the current time.

· As I drove north on Interstate 76 past the oil refinery and the Waste Management facility my expectations for a quality golf experience were not high. My low expectations continued to plummet as I drove put to a golf course entrance that seemed to be under construction. As I pulled into the parking lot for my 6:30 tee time there were more excavators and construction equipment than cars to be found. I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the grandeur of the clubhouse and the statue of a buffalo running near the entrance. My initial thoughts on this Commerce City muni continue to improve after talking with the staff and paying 44 bucks for my 18 holes (walking).

· To begin the round golfers are directed underneath the highway through a large tunnel past a substantial practice putting green and a fair-sized driving range. There is a starter who was helpful and informative.

· I won’t break down the course hole by hole, I don’t have the “woke” architectural knowledge needed to properly do so. I will say, however, that the front 9 was a delight. Each hole presented new challenges and interesting topography.

· The back 9 was trash.
I kept having two recurring thoughts while I walked 10-18:

1. I should grab my hardhat because I’m golfing in a full-on construction zone.

2. The Commerce City board of directors must have asked Mr. Foster if he could please make each hole as spread out as possible so the max number of homes could be built.

o Don’t get me completely wrong, 10 years after the dust finally settles from the construction Keith Foster’s vision for the course might shine through…but for now avoid the back 9.

· I won’t be going back anytime soon, there is just so much more good golf in Colorado.

1 Like

I played there last year, and I don’t remember that much construction. Interesting.

1 Like

It was a lot. If you wanna play again I would wait year or so. I walked it with one of the mangers of Ideal Electric who is doing most of the electrical work on the homes being built and the underground coms being put
in. He suggested to me that they have at least 2 more years of work on the back 9.

Both Buffalo Run and Todd Creek have a lot of construction at the moment.

I haven’t played BR in a while but I do remember when it first opened it had a pretty brutal pace of play. So much so that by the 1st par 3, on a normal weekend morning, they had to have marshalls out there instructing people to hit up while the group in front was driving to or just getting on the green (obviously they would know the tee balls were coming).

The last time I played it was immediately on the heels of a scramble tourney of absolute novice golfers. I think it was a construction company come to think about it. 3 hours for the front 9. Thankfully they were done when we made the turn, but by then I was pretty hammered as there wasn’t much to do other than drink.

Other than that, the only thing I really remember about the course itself is that one of the VPs from my wife’s company has a house on the back 9 and he’s usually able to heckle us as we come through.

I live up north and it’s not on my rotation.

1 Like

I liked it just fine. If I’m going to drive that far, I would rather play commonground, Murphy Creek, or Riverdale. Not sure when I’ll be back there.

1 Like

So far this year I have ventured to just CG and Wellshire for public golf. Pretty into architecture, which is why those two have been the main ones. Any other suggestions on public courses I need to try this summer/fall? I live down in Parker, but don’t mind driving 45 min for good golf.

Murphy Creek would be pretty easy for you. Good course, although it loses steam around hole 13.

Riverdale Dunes is good, but that’s going to be an hour drive for you probably. Maybe more reasonable if you take C-470.

Those two and commonground are the 3 better public architecture courses in the area. Walnut Creek is one of my favorites outside of those, but that will be an hour plus drive for you.

1 Like

I second Riverdale Dunes. Anytime you get to play a public Pete Dye course its a good day.

1 Like

I need to get back up to Riverdale Dunes. It’s a hike from here in Highlands Ranch, but worth it every now and then.

New to NLU. Was looking for a thread to get fitted for clubs in the Denver area. Is there one? If not, any recommendations for getting fit somewhere?

Welcome! Here are a few options:

Club Champion - never been here but heard very good things, also heard its not cheap
D’Lance - I’ve been going here for years, owners are awesome, amazing selection, they’ve been doing fittings for decades, but not cheap
Lenny’s - likely your cheapest option for a fitting, but they rock, best deals in town for sure, good selection, and they’re not gonna jerk you around