Roll Call: Colorado -- @PJM v Colorado Golfers, @PJM only half guilty

I’d prefer CG as well, there are 1:10 and 1:20 foursome slots open, I can book one of those and see if we can fill it out. If you’re down I’ll book it.

Hey CO refugees - I’m going to be traveling to Vail for a wedding 9/6 - 9/8. I’m looking to squeeze a round in maybe saturday am day of the wedding with a few of the guys. Any suggestions? Likely renting clubs as well. Thanks

I would be open to a Friday round on the 26th, depending on the location.

1 Like

Awesome! Waiting on one guy to confirm now for morning round at Bear Dance. If he’s out wanna play there? Since it’s my bday I’m planning on playing all day, so might go for a 2nd round at CG in the afternoon if you wanna play there instead

If you’re willing to drive a bit (~30min), then I think the Raven and the Keystone courses are the best mountain tracks for what you pay.

Vail Golf Club is sandwiched between the highway and the hill - there a few decent holes on the back but the front is a combat zone. Plus it’s expensive.

The Eagle Vail course is better.

The cordillera courses in Edwards are outrageously priced and topsy-turvy carnival rides.

Lakota Canyon in Glenwood offers good deals. The back is a bit of a waste, but the front is actually really interesting.

I may be missing a few. Not generally a mountain golf fan, but hope this helps.

1 Like

Sonnenalp is in the area as well.

If you’re staying at a Vail owned property you can play the Red Sky Ranch courses which are two private courses. They alternate which one is available to the resort guests each day. I believe it is Norman on odd numbered days and Fazio on even ones. I prefer the Norman course, but they’re both great. I got lucky to play with an employee at an extremely reduced employee guest rate, but the normal resort guest rate is over $250. It’s also lush and green since their mostly out of town members want that when they come in the summer. The courses could be so much better if they played firm, but they’re still the best ones in the mountains for publicly accessible courses. Looking at the web site they currently have a $360 deal to play 36 holes anytime within 4 days.

2 Likes

Appreciate the feedback here. EagleVail was my first attempt, but they couldnt get us out till 10:40am (playing on 9/7, thought we’d be able to get on the tee sheet early this far in advanced, but clearly thought wrong ha). Scooped up a Vail Golf Club tee time on Supreme Golf for 9:10am. We’ve got a wedding that day at 4p at the Sonnenalp, so VGC should serve it’s purpose.

We’re a 3some, so if anyone here spots a discounted solo spot for 910a at VGC, that’ll be with our crew!

While we’re at it, I’m coming from Denver early friday morning (getting in late morning thursday, planning on doing a few breweries/bars etc. and the evening in denver) then drive out to the mountains Friday am. Any recommendations on hikes/activities along the way to Vail? My initial thoughts were we hit a hike in Breck in the morning and town for lunch, then get to Vail in the afternoon to meet up with our crew at our Airbnb. No plans for sunday after the wedding we don’t fly back till monday afternoon, so any recommendations would be appreciated! I’ve hiked Mohawk Lakes, St. Mary’s glacier, some parts of RMNP.

Thanks for your feedback

That Mohawk Lakes (Spruce Creek Trail) is my favorite hike in the Breckenridge area. I also like going up Boreas Pass, though the downside is it’s not a loop so you have to decide when to turn around. Great scenery, though.

1 Like

If you have time on the way out, get a beer at Golden City Brewing in Golden. Or stop at TommyKnocker in Idaho Springs.

I’d head straight out to Vail, and do the Booth Lake Trail past Booth Falls. It goes Northward out from Vail - the trailhead is in East Vail near the Mountain School, at the dead-end of the road. Parking is tight if you’re not there early so it’s usually easy to park in the Village and take the East Vail bus over.

Hiking around Breck is less available, and a bit out of your way. If you’re sticking with a hike in that area, get lunch at the Distillery off Airport road.

In Vail post-hike spots are endless, but the Red Lion, Bart and Yeti’s (Lionshead), & the George are good options.

1 Like

Up in Broomfield, a mile from Broadlands. Feel free to message me if you’re interested in a playing partner.

5.7, 32 years old, love to let the big dog eat (as long as there isn’t a house nearby)

1 Like

Anyone ever play Eagle Trace near Broomfield? Buddy got a tee time there this Sat, can’t seem to find much about it.

Yes. It’s the muniest of munis.

The driving range is off of (rather crappy) mats out into a pond.

There’s some really dumb holes, but it’s not completely horrible. Broadlands, Legacy Ridge and Walnut Creek are all much better courses in the same area and worth paying the slightly higher rate for. If Eagle Trace was dramatically cheaper I’d say go for it, but it’s saving you less than $10 over the others on the weekend and the others are dramatically better courses.

Aw man. I’m one of the very active Denver guys over there. Don’t hate on us too much, though as a new member of NLU this site seems far more my speed. So, uh, hello everyone.

This snow is killing me.

4 Likes

Greetings from Highlands Ranch! This snow is killing me, but can’t wait for spring.

Greetings from like 3mi west of you

For everybody who has a problem (like me), there is at least one driving range open in town!

1 Like

Watch your wrists. They have some of the worst mats in Denver. Might as well hit directly off the concrete below.

Where are the driving ranges with decent mats around Denver? I’m usually at Overland or CG in-season