Roll Call: College Students

Since most colleges are now virtual and the NCAA college golf season and even the NCCGA club golf seasons are now cancelled, wanted to see how college students are handling golf as a college student.

1 Like

Our university course is closed as of right now. Really hoping they open up. For the time being, I’m alone because my roommates have all gone home. I’ve been doing a little chipping on the small area of grass in our front yard

1 Like

What school are you at? That’s good you could stay on campus. Not many students are allowed to do so.

I go to Michigan. I live off campus. They’ve told everyone to go home, but they can’t make us go home if we live in an off campus house. Not too many people have stuck around

2 Likes

Purdue student here. I’m currently working a co-op rotation right now, so I’m not on campus. Just got instructed to work from home for the foreseeable future, which means I work till 3 and head to the golf course right after (provided the weather is decent).

2 Likes

Since my college closed down I went back home. Sucks to have my final season all but fully cancelled, but safety is better then not. Since closing last week, I’ve played twice and will be playing today. Walking each time I play as well. Whenever I play that’s really the only time I’m touching a club at the moment

2 Likes

You from the Indy area?

I’ll use this post as sort of a therapy session as I’ve been struggling the last few days.

The cancellation of the season was devastating. Like everything else, it all happened so fast. We were on spring break in California and all felt powerless as domino after domino fell that Wednesday. We all kinda knew the season was over when the Ivy cancelled spring sports in the morning since we play in a similar league (the Patriot League). But when the NBA news hit and the major sports started cancelling we it was all but official. When the Patriot League officially cancelled Thursday morning the finality of it was brutal for everyone, but especially emotional for me and my fellow senior captain.

College golf is a great thing, but it can also be a bit of a grind sometimes. So much time. A ton of ups and downs. A lot of stressful, cold, windy, long days. But on the whole it is truly a special, irreplaceable experience. It feels unfair that the last month and a half van rides, team dinners, workouts, practices, the last four tournaments, conference championship have been taken away. But obviously a lot of people are going through it and others are going through much worse due to this situation. But still, to have it end this way will hurt for a long time honestly.

Note: your username makes me extremely uncomfortable

6 Likes

Fort Wayne.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear my man. It’s really sucked seeing everyone’s seasons getting cancelled. That’s a lot of hard work that’s going to go unrecognized, and it’s a lot of highs and lows that aren’t even going to happen now.

2 Likes

Guis, as an “old timer” in the college ranks, I really feel for y’all. I played college baseball, albeit many moons ago but when I heard all spring sports canceled, etc. I was blown away…I’ve been there, lost a year of eligibility to injuries that I thought was a slam dunk to get back, but the hard work you put in to just have it ripped from underneath you is mind boggling. I have friends still coaching in the college ranks and this is just…no words man, chin up y’all, hopefully the NCAA makes it right…best of luck with everything truly.

2 Likes

Michigan Tech.
Was really bummed that NCCGA cancled the season, I was super hyped about the third tournament we were going to have. We were set to play Whistling with the second day at Blackwolf Run.
Also it looks like our winter league that the college club plays with the local course club at a simulator was also canned. I’m pretty sure by the end of this there will be a wear strip on my putting matt in my room :joy:

1 Like

Hey guis, glad I’m not the only young guy in here. Just gonna do a little venting. I am a Division 3 college golfer in Wisconsin. Cancelling the season really pissed me off even though I understand the medical and political reasons behind it. I was really looking forward to playing our spring season, our coach really put a nice schedule together. Also our conference tournament is a split season tournament (36 holes in the fall, 36 holes in the spring) so I’m feeling for the teams that had a shot at nationals. Anyway, hopefully the local amateur tournaments are still good to go because I might lose it if I don’t play some tournament golf soon.

Best wishes to all of you struggling with me lol.

1 Like

College student here too who played for a season at a D3 school. I truly feel awful for you guys. It sounds like a lot of high school seniors around the country might not get to play this year either, which would suck too and they won’t get another chance. I understand that there is some leniency now with senior college golfers getting an extra year of eligibility, anyone taking that path? For some it probably isn’t feasible but I am curious if that is a saving grace for anyone here.

1 Like

Damn. Whistling and Blackwolf would have been awesome. Sounds like your putting is going to improve though :slight_smile:

Any word on extended eligibility yet? Could be a lot of grad students playing next Spring…

1 Like

Everyone gets a year back which is the right thing to do. Don’t know if it makes sense for me though unfortunately. Still figuring it out.

2 Likes

Play club golf at Saint Louis University. Great idea on the thread was always curious to see how many other college guis followed the NLU crew. With the season cancelled it means putting and chipping inside. Staying in my apartment off campus and just wish the weather would improve so I could hit the range or go play. Rewatching old strapped and TS seasons is keeping me sane

1 Like

lmao being in college-me since may 17, 2019 about 2:15 P.M. PDT

1 Like

Wanted to revive this thread after hearing my school, Miami (OH), is going remote for the first month. Anyone else facing the same realities this semester? Feel like as a golf sicko online classes will be excellent for my game, bad for my grades. Hopefully all goes well and we can still have good semesters.