Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 2)

Very cool, wonder what that vinyl floor stimps at?

8 Likes

Nice. Let’s plan on a Jan open house/ meet up!

3 Likes

Just played a quick 9 at River Bend…course is my nemesis…

2 Likes

Booked the 7:40 tee time at Calumet for this Saturday if anyone else wants to join. Only booked for myself so there should still be 3 spots available online

I’m up for a voyage up there sometime. Played last Fall with @FlapjackNickelsack @BigBird and @TrajMahal and had a blast.

4 Likes

great golf course. they raised the rates but it’s still worth the trip imo, even moreso if you catch the fall rate.

3 Likes

If anyone wants to play Stonebridge in Aurora this week, I have a 12:10 time on Wednesday, two spots available. Only catch is you pay full guest fee and cart. I assume that means accompanied fee (if they differentiate), but that’s all I can tell you.

1 Like

Played MP this morning (“Of course you did”) and saw something pretty cool.

Played one group ahead of this group of 20 seniors who play every Monday morning at different courses in the NW burbs. I checked in behind one and he said “I’m the 10:10 in the northwest league” and the cashier knew what he meant. The group is run by one of the MP starters. My girlfriend’s dad is an MP starter (“Of course he is”) so I sat around with them after the round for a beer. As we were getting up to leave the guy who runs the league said “Alright, Fox Run next week. Check the group chat, text if you can’t make it.”

It’s like their own Roost!

Also, one guy aced 7 from the senior tee by literally slicing the ball over the road to the left and bringing it back to the green. Hit the green and one hopped into the back center hole location. They were in the group immediately behind me so I heard them yelling before I teed off on 8.

16 Likes

That’s some impressive curvature on the ball to move it that much from the senior tees.

7 Likes

A elderly bubba Watson some would say.

9 Likes

I hope he paid for aforementioned beer.

4 Likes

I didn’t know him so I bought my own! But he was gracious enough to open a tab and let everyone else in the group have one.

3 Likes

Ironic you shared this today because I had a similar content idea come to me lying in bed last night. Would be a video series highlighting the storied members or “roosts” and the beauty of what you witnessed this morning at MP. Have to imagine there are some incredible weekly foursomes and characters like the guys down in Long Island that still religiously play their Nassau games at the local muni or the group of sickos that founded the 5am Breakfast Ball here at Sydney. Ya know, the real bones of the golf world, right?

In theory, seemed very on-brand for NLU or TGJ to be apart of something like that given the success of “Strapped” and the spotlight stories in TGJ. Figured I would share the idea with some fellow addicts for a workshopping.

5 Likes

If you wanna see an already made version of that idea watch this video and try not to get emotional when the guys discuss how there will be a day they don’t play together again

2 Likes

Next you’re going to tell me that they put a man on the moon…

5 Likes

I caught the tail end of some of the endless St. Andrews “the home of golf” schlock on Golf Channel today. They were showing some footage of golfers in various pubs and the general culture around the town etc. There was a clip of this big group of guys singing a self-deprecating song about how terrible at golf they are, downing pints and just having a blast and that looked pretty damn great.

7 Likes

Learned to play golf there during my early teens… yikes

1 Like

Truly experienced the Royal and Ancient Golf of Chicago.

Sweet though, great for them. Did you attempt to explain (gestures) this?

3 Likes

I did not. I just sat around the table and listened to them all talk about their rounds. It was us if you added 30 years on average and subtracted 50 yards a hole.

Edit: probably 40 years on average

3 Likes

I’ve seen more impressive curvatures on that hole.

2 Likes