Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 2)

I’ve played it 3 times over 2 days (2 different winds) in the fall of 2021. Would you like my full review?

3 Likes

That’s most of the grouping of “Top Tier” priced courses in the area ($105+ greens fees)
A list of course consisting of:

Cog Hill
The Glen Club
Cantigny
Mistwood
Harborside

3 Likes

Not walkable. Overpriced at peak rates (twilight rate feels about right). Doesn’t have a real identity as the holes feel pieced together. It’s trying to be a combination of parkland, links, and Florida golf; but somehow doesn’t capture any of those identities. The driving range faces straight East which was less than ideal for the morning tee times.

#1 Nothing much going on here. Only if the pin is back left does the position in the fairway matter. Bunkers are only an issue into a stiff headwind.

#2 Very generic par 3. Front/right pin is fun to play to. Anything middle or back is pretty boring.

#3 One of the best holes on the course. Less than driver to find your way through some scattered fairway bunkers. A decent amount of tilt in this fairway. 2-3’ ridge that separates the back and front of the green should determine how you play the hole. Can also take driver to the right left. But could end up short-sided and pitching over bunkers.

#4 Generic Redan par 3. Short right is more than fine to a front pin. Forgettable hole.

#5 Par 5 that usually plays downwind. Wide fairway and the rough isn’t that punishing. Forced carry to go for the green in two. But there is a way to run it up the left hand side. In the wrong wind it just turns into a 140 yard par 3.

#6 Poor mans version of #8 at Pebble. Long iron or hybrid to a downhill shot where the green is angled back and to the right. Fun hole when the wind swirls on you a little bit.

#7 Tough driving hole. If you can take it over to the right tongue section of fairway the hole plays so much easier. The first house on the right side of the hole, 94 yards away from the tee box, has Lexan windows installed (don’t ask how my group found this out). Second shot is pretty much blind to a shallow green. Greensite is very sandy and overlooks the lake. Nice view.

#8 Blind tee shot from the top of a sand dune. Slightly uphill approach to one of the more difficult greens.

9# Fun tee shot. Usually plays downwind from a massively elevated tee box. You can get home in two shots. Green is pretty boring.

#10 After a 1/2 mile drive in your cart… Tee to green one of the more boring holes. But this is the hole with the super tricked up green. The pro shop said the pin is VERY rarely in the back.

#11 Short ish par 3 down the hill a bit. The green has 3’ drop off from front to back do the middle. A front pin can be really difficult to play to.

#12 Short dogleg left. Nothing of interest

#13 Long-ish par 3, reverse Redan.

#14 Long-ish par 4 with water all the way down the right and trees left. Requires two really good shots.

#15 Reachable par 5. Wide fairway. Somewhat of a hero shot over the river to the green.

#16 Big dogleg left with water down the left and short of the green. Plays straight back into sun in the afternoon/evenings. Just about always into the wind. Not a fun hole.

#17 The road 15 yards off the tee box is somewhat distracting. It’s like they forgot they had to fit a golf hole into this space.

#18 Again right back into the setting sun. Water right, water left. Very unimaginative finishing hole. It gives PGA National vibes. And enjoy the 0.4 mile ride back to the clubhouse.

6 Likes

It’s the forced carry over a public volleyball court that does it for me

6 Likes

For better or worse, you can’t see the volleyball courts from the tee box. There is a pretty large dune to the right that encourages you to aim further to the left.

The hole sets you up for a good drive, can you dig it? If you bump a good drive, you can spike it close for a birdie putt. Just don’t hit it in the green-side out bunker or else it might lead to bogey. Something something Karch Kiraly

2 Likes

Playing sunset valley tomorrow at 2:57 tomorrow.

Gonna be too nice to work …

1 Like

One of the guys we were paired with on Saturday said those pins were also going to be used in his outing on Sunday. Too tough, no fun!

You have inspired me into playing ole Mistwood after work today, will report back.

6 Likes

Had some guys last minute drop a trip due to biz deals and graduations. If anyone wants to drive up for a round or 2 feel free to reach out or call and add yourself to tee times. I plan on dropping 3 of our guys on Thursday so it should be open then. I understand single rounds can be pricey but thought Id shoot my shot.

June 10 - Erin Hills 11am and 11:10am
June 11 - Irish 10:50am and 11am
June 12 - Straits 9:20am and 9:30am
June 13 - Blackwolf Run 9:30am and 9:40am. Baths 3:48pm and 4pm
June 14 - Meadow Valleys 7:40am and 7:50am

1 Like

I can’t watch him do this to himself

please no gifs | WiffleGif

4 Likes

Anyone interested in Cary CC Thursday morning? Need one to fill out a group at 9:24.
$40 with a cart and a hotdog.

Playing Harborside Port course Wednesday @ 12:20, feel free to join. GolfNow has $59.99 hot deal

13 Likes

Great seats, going to be right above you.

5 Likes

Haha nice! As a Red Sox fan it’s nice to check out the other old ballpark.

3 Likes

Not the best experience today, they got rid of the walking discount which is annoying and have way to many high school age kids riding around in carts skipping holes all over the place, must be good business selling “memberships” to a public course.

4 Likes

Here’s an ad from an issue of the Arlington Heights Herald in August 1931.

Tournament winner at White Pines got a carton of smokes. Food special sounds legit though

9 Likes

Piping hot, no waiting. Where can I find that type of service these days

8 Likes

Back when you smoked the heaters your doctor recommended. :smoking:

9 Likes