Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

They’re made with aerial photography and CAD software.

1 Like

That’s not the new tee, if you can believe it. The new ones are another 40 or 50 yards back in a chute of trees

2 Likes

AH, see that looking closer now. I saw it in person in Dec when they had it open - it looks so out of place, especially if they dont clear the trees on the right out. Did you see their twitter back and forth and Andy Johnson torching them?

2 Likes

Can you link this please?

We had a lengthy conversation yesterday about how shitty that tee is and I want more of that circle jerk.

3 Likes

Regarding a new tree on #6

2 Likes

Shoutout @SpartyArmst

3 Likes

Still waiting for my response. I just don’t get what they are trying to accomplish with this move. Sure, it extends it back and will make for a (likely) birdie hole that plays straight away, but it takes the need to be precise out of the equation. Real head-scratcher.

1 Like

When I saw that start, I said to my buddy “well I will no longer need to consider conditions when on this tee, bombs away”

1 Like

I’ve been in that bunker and still think the new tee is stupid. I remember being paired with another twosome out there and one guy says something to the effect that this bunker is very penal. I told him I think that was Donny’s original idea (having no idea if it was part of the original layout).

That bunker brings a lot of strategy into a tough hole. This new tee’s going to ruin it for me. I hope they have an option of turning in scores for Par 70 still to give us the option.

1 Like

You’re better men than me. I would not have played VL yesterday.

1 Like

The ‘chute’ is extremely narrow due to some trees hanging over the original tee box. It’s only about 20 feet wide 60 yards from the back tee. Not really suited for grip ‘n’ rip

Yes. I’d like them to tell us why they did it rather than trying to justify it. There are plenty of other areas needing improvement, so why add this? There has to be some kind of motivation.

Forgot about those, unless they remove per the tweet threads.

Et tu, Brute?

1 Like

FWIW Claude Gendreau, the man who bought Ravisloe, is a staunch conservationist. His goal is to eventually turn the course in a multi-use park area, not unlike St Andrews. Golf will still be the principal focus, but I don’t think he’s the savior we expect him to be.

When he bought it , he envisioned teachers bringing kids to learn about the plant and animal life that lives on the course. Unless tree removal can be completed in a way that doesn’t destroy the trees, I can’t imagine him agreeing to much beyond aggressive trimming.

I also found out who lives in that house on 3/16 that looks abandoned. Mystery solved, @bmgst264, @PinkPantser, @jbors.

3 Likes

Actually was out at Ravisloe yesterday. The wind was insane but the course was in better shape than expected. They were sending groups off on 10 so the round definitely didn’t have the same flow as normal. Some thoughts on the updates/layout:

-I wasn’t aware that they were planning to move the tees forward on 11 and was shocked where they were. That hole used to stick out in my mind when making the turn with a good score in hand. Your tee shot on 11 could determine how the rest of the back 9 went for you. Now, even in windy conditions, its a forgettable par 3 with a ton of area on the right to bail out.

-the new back tees on 12 were… meh. I always loved that hole as a par 4 and always looked forward to playing it. Now, while some may find the chute tee shot exciting, the rest of the hole has lost some of its luster, especially now that the centerline bunker doesn’t seem to be in play.

2 Likes

Links was jammed as well. Played at 10:30, when we got done, not one spot left in the lot and they were parking on the lane.

@JBors @bmgst264 @PinkPantser and I were out yesterday too. We didn’t bother playing from the back tees. There was a universal “from my cold, dead hands” attitude towards the original tee in our group.

I also thought it was in good shape. The only green that had some serious puttability issues was 6, and only from the top left. The wind was challenging but not unwelcome especially with how soft it was. Got to see a lot of cool shots in our group with guys trying to avoid (or muscle through) the wind and after getting into some trouble.

2 Likes

How long did it take to get around?

Damn. I knew about the tees going back on 12. Interested in seeing how it played. Didn’t know about 11. Where did the tees move to? That was a tough par3.