Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

What’s the consensus on the top 3 Naperville area (within 20 mins of downtown) public courses? Just recently moved to Naperville and I hardly ever came down to this area to play so I’m unfamiliar with the courses.

1 Like

Orchard Valley in Aurora (very good, but slow pace of play risk)

Tamarack in Naperville (delightful track, flat but good variety, scruffy conditties)

There are others, but I’ve only played those two

1 Like

I’m in Aurora my top three local are Cantigny ($$$$) Village Links Glen Ellyn ($$$) and Bolingbrook ($$$$) some of the better muni’s are Phillips Park and tamarack. Haven’t played Orchard

3 Likes

Some good suggestions above, I’ll just throw in Arrowhead GC. 27 holes, overall pretty fun and challenging from what I remember. Also a great clubhouse and practice facility.

3 Likes

The 11:20am foursome is still wide open online if anyone wants to grab that. Last year this time we had two foursomes play a team best ball together for $20 a head and it was a great way to end the season. Lowest net score per hole gets written on the card and lower overall team wins.

Gonna laundry list tag people here: @ChiFFI @TeddyPargame @Ballgame @TheAbeFroman @TCRBrad @BabblingBrooksKoepka @kmcswain @VenkmansLament @FlapjackNickelsack @McDuffin

6 Likes

also @BadBrad @HackMarkham @treeputttim

Tamarack and I have never gotten along, so I’m not keen on recommending it. I’ll will stump for the park district courses, Naperbrook and Springbrook. Springbrook is slightly better, but they are both affordable and surprisingly fun to play.

2 Likes

Downers Grove. Range open year round with heated bays as well.

1 Like

Yuge water feature guy

3 Likes

yeah I was shocked to see Tamarack getting so much love here. In my humble opinion it stinks. Housing development track with water on all 18 holes. Springbrook and Naperbrook both better options.
No thank you

9 Likes

They call me Scuba Slice, Scuba Steve’s cousin.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions gents, I’ll have to try them all out

@TCRBrad seems like Tamarack is a freezing cold take haha, that’s the only one I’ve played in this area and I was not happy with it

3 Likes

Played the Iron Man Open at Village Links on Sunday. Was absolutely f*cking freezing! Rookie mistake not having a cart cover and heater… will definitely be investing or borrowing for 2022. Still a great time, I believe the final count was 122 golfers (so 61 teams) which I’d say is a good turnout giving the conditions. We didn’t play all that great… starting off on 16 (1-6 scramble, 7-12 best ball, 13-18 alternate shot) did not help our cause… alternate shot ending up being our kryptonite.

Will definitely be doing it for years to come though!

2 Likes

Also played in this. First nine was fine but second got very slow. Ended up playing a sixsome after our buddies had to leave due to a family emergency. It was cold. I was pretty well prepared, but it was still cold.

2 Likes

Cold golf?

Is this something you may be interested in?

March Mudness bump.

Event format, raffle details and more will be shared shortly.

5 Likes

Yeah it got slow once we got to the front 9… waiting virtually every shot, just resulted in more beers than I had planned :slight_smile:.

I think I know your buddy’s partner… stinks they had to WD but good hear all is OK.

I was a last second replacement, and they’re friends with my playing partner, so I just met those guys this weekend, but enjoyed the 12 holes we played with them. They were gone in a hurry, but sounds like everything is ok.

Guys we joined were hilarious. Love joining 65 year old dudes who have blown through two flasks of bourbon.

I live in Aurora.

Tamarack sucks.

Orchard Valley was fine, but it is aggressively penal.

Springbrook I think is a really fine muni. Tee-times on weekends are very hard to come by and pace isn’t the best.

Phillips Park is an underrated muni and it is like $35 to walk. I always have a blast playing there.

4 Likes

Haha! Some entertainment I’m sure!

1 Like

How good are the heaters. I recall at Cog, they were fine at about 30 degrees, but much colder than that was a no go. I live about 90 seconds from the Downers Grove course, so that may be a nice winter option until I get my garage range set up.