Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

my takes on it, putting aside the obvious benefits to “serious” golfers. I think the pros outweigh the cons but not by much

pros

1. short course/youth course - this is a big deal, there’s nothing like this in the city or remotely nearby. this has the potential to introduce people to the game in a way that the city’s current portfolio of golf facilities do not
  2. the land in question is already mostly golf course(s).
  3. jackson park at large is huge, there is still plenty of open park space for the current use patterns (cookouts, sports fields, disc golf, walking/running, dog parks, fieldhouses, etc) even after the library and combined golf course eat into it

cons

1. the nature sanctuary in the SE corner next to south shore beach is awesome, it is a shame they intend to use that area for the golf course. I know they’re expanding the adjacent nature areas to compensate, but still stinks
  2. the infrastructure required (2x underpasses) is going to cost the city some real $$$$. it’s a tough sell
  3. plenty of people that play there today will be priced out. the clientele will get noticeably more affluent and, to be blunt, more white. even with a torrey pines type setup, the local green fees will still be at least what, 3x what they are today? that sucks
3 Likes

yes it is! awful…

my shots on that hole were driver, 50 yard wedge , 3 hybrid. you used to be able to run it up the right side by the cart path, but they filled that in with trees now (probably because too many balls ended up by those apartments on the right).

FINALLY made it out to Blackstone.

It is VERY much worth the hype/trek out west.
Conditioning was outstanding, played in 3 hours, and lots of fun shots to hit. Great par 3 variety as well.

3rd hole with a tree in the middle of the fairway was a little quirky…but still super fun

I’ll definitely be back out here again.

8 Likes

I like Blackstone, but you can’t convince me the third hole doesn’t stink

How were the greens?

3 Likes

Firm, fast, and pure. Some of the best greens I’ve played on all year

It felt like on the front 9 the play off the tee was FW or long iron into a specific area so that you had a look at the green. At the same time, I also felt like that there wasn’t a lot of risk/reward shots. Either you were able to hit into the areas or you had trees blocking everything.

Course is short enough that if you can hit it 200 off the tee that you’ll be able to post a score.

1 Like

what did you think of 18 green? Great complex and easily a 1 shot difference if you hit to the wrong side

1 Like

With Bent at the Crook and War at the Shores, we officially have two Chicago refuge events as we enter winter.

I think we need one in December as well…

The Eggnogural 9 Hole Festivus for the Ref-tof-us

10 Likes

What courses would be open? Some people are saying that Villa Olivia would be fun, but it’s also a ski hill

We’ll have to Mull(ed wine) this over

Me and my cousins have played Chick Evans around the holidays the last few years, we call it Chicksmas.

5 Likes

I played Billy C. on December 21th 2019, Elvis Christmas Albums jammin’. Gets dark about 345 pm.

1 Like

Does the pond on 6 freeze or too much, uh, runoff enter to change the freeze point? Cuz bouncing one off the ice and up the hill would be sweet.

3 Likes

What could go wrong

1 Like

Pretty sure Cary CC stays open all year.

2 Likes

I’ve played Bartlett Hills in January before lol

2 Likes

Awesome green. Love the tiers that funnel your long iron towards the middle.

Yeah I tipped it out at 6700, and only needed driver 3 times on the front. I appreciate that anything played short of the trouble/bunkers leave a blind or semi blind approach. Outstanding risk/reward strategy.

1 Like

I would not advise touching that pond now nor frozen. I’d go like 3i off the tee and see if it skips up high enough.

1 Like

We played Highland Woods on 12/27 last year. Firm and fast! Skipped one across the ice on the dogleg right par 5 on the front. Fairways were like concrete.

2 Likes

I played Sydney on my birthday last year, 12/29.

2 Likes

Anyone want to play 9 at Robert Black at 6:30 on Monday before other holiday commitments?

1 Like