Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Anyone playing at Schaumburg today?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTVEg8ggskBlcI8STAZZgDj34tPffZv0PKncjI0/?utm_medium=copy_link

2 Likes

I’m looking to play one of these courses for the first time in a couple weeks. If driving distance doesn’t matter, which would you pick? I believe they are roughly the same price.
-Lac La Belle
-Cantigny
-Deere Run
-Cog No 4

1 Like

Thoughts?

1 Like

Can we get a better design team???

2 Likes

WE’RE BAAAAACK BABY.

Deets and signup for the 2021 War at the Shores:

7 Likes

I like the plan, it’s a good plan. It’s got a youth/short course, it’s got wide-ish fairways, its got runoff areas around the greens, it’s got mega detention capabilities that should fix today’s drainage issues, it has the clubhouse at the turn in the middle of the course which is a smart move, it’s got TW’s name attached which you would think would help fundraising efforts.

4 Likes

May you please unprivatize the sign up?

2 Likes

WHOOPS

try it now…should be good

3 Likes

Another question…anyone been out to Heritage Oaks yet?

Seconded. Looks pretty cool online.

I played the 9 hole course. It was nice. Its still growing in a bit, the greens are running true but a little slow, the fairways and some approach areas a little mushy. Fairways are much wider. More short grass around the greens. I think some of the greens are little bigger. Fewer Trees. The new clubhouse/proshop/bar are cool. Nice new putting green and short game area. The range has trackman sensors that you pair with the app with the range WIFI. I don’t understand how it works buts its kind of cool. Its on my def rota for early bird golf.

1 Like

Feels like they have just recycled the same story for 5 years.

6 Likes

Lac La Belle is supposed to be incredible. Have played Cantigny and Dubs, prefer Dubs, though bunker conditioning is superior at Cantigny.

I’d do Lac.

2 Likes

Deere Run is doing a bunker renovation that has only 14 holes open

3 Likes

Well there are plenty of community and land use related arguments to be made, both pro and con. For example, the city has historically tried to maintain the Burnham idea that the lakefront belongs to the people.

That is all very important and complex, but simply from a golfing perspective, the obvious pros would be a golf experience that will be more fun/challenging/attractive to a lot of golfers. I would think this course would be better well maintained with better facilities.

The cons would be, you are reducing the number of holes while most likely increasing the price. Right now, you can pay $45 total to play 27 holes between south shore and jackson park. My guess is it would be more than $45 to play just 18, even for city residents. Also, you would be losing the charm of municipal golf. I doubt we will get guys just hanging by the 1st tee all day drinking beer or people walking their dog down a fairway.

Those would be the big arguments either side. On top of this, a pro argument would be that there is still affordable muni golf with muni charm available in the city still with marovitz, marquette etc, and that this is a course you wont need a car for. The con side of that is there are courses that can get close to the standard of this Tiger Woods course not far out of town.

I hope this clears up some of the arguments without starting an argument. I dont think the NLU boards are a good place to debate the socioeconomic merits of building a golf course in an area needing economic investment but also worried about gentrification. The boards are for pointing out wild courses that already exist and trying to meet strangers to play golf.

And for the record, I am against it.

While the price would go up and above that $45 amount, I believe when it was originally announced they were taking a Torrey approach to pricing for residents v. ‘tourists’?

Overall, I just don’t think this will go much further because of Chicago politics. Just look at the mess Obama has had to deal with for his library.

this thread is generally a politics free zone, but the refuge at large? pssh

4 Likes

missing out on the lucas film museum was a shame.

1 Like

played both the 9 and 18 multiple times! my overall sense is that they opened a little bit too early…more thoughts below:

• they took out a lot of trees on both courses, giving both courses a much bigger feel
  • more elevated green complexes - and some of the old par 3 green complexes that were a little too tricked out have been turned down
  • greens and fairways were slow. basically no roll on drives (even in the fairway). probably played about 300-400 yards longer on account of this
  • the par 5 17th still sucks. top 5 worst holes in chicago-land area
  • trackman range is COOL - but a pit pricey ($18 for 100 balls)
  • halfway house and drink carts were not open when i played - have heard from the pro that they are pretty short-staffed…(like everywhere else)
  • closing hole on the 18 is great. seeing the new clubhouse framed in the background of a long straightaway par 4. even better if you can finish right around golden hour and sit on the lawn chairs for a drink!
2 Likes
  1. Is this the 17th?
  2. Submit to the Yuck Club asap

2 Likes