Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Sunset Valley in Highland Park is fun and interesting

3 Likes

Can’t imagine how the membership is feeling right now. -4 winning score last year vs -27 this year, and I could be mistaken, but don’t recall seeing a single waterfall on last year’s broadcast.

4 Likes

Ok this I did not know. I’m gonna give it a shot. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions and insights.

Anyone want to play in the NW burbs today?
Or the west burbs. Or Southern Wisconsin.
Or the south burbs.

You know, pretty much anywhere…

3 Likes

Ravines in Saugatuck is a great course.

1 Like

Check out the names who played Tam O’Shanter

4 Likes

Both great courses.

1 Like

@Ballgame and I have 1 spot open at Shepherd’s Crook this Saturday at 9:10. Let us know if you would like to join

Edit: @andrewf will be our 4th

2 Likes

Has anybody ever played Hickory Hills Country Club?

Wild experience. Clearly an old country club that became public, more than 30 years ago according to staff. Less than 6000 yards, I think this is a place that used to be “championship” length but cant keep up with technology.

Started off by the ranger/starter attempting to bribe me i think, asking for $20 cash to bypass the club house (even with a sign forbidding paying people to get you on right there.)

Then the second hole was closed because they were doing construction on it, like 15 guys or so digging up the grass, I think there were like 4 vehicles on the hole, either steamrollers or dump trucks or whatever.

Several holes had a tee shot that went down like 20 feet only for the green to go back up the 20 feet uphill.

The 9th and 16th holes are almost identical, except 16 is longer. Again, downhill tee shot, uphill approach, but this one had a cart path splitting the fairway, also the cart path was like 1/6th of the fairway. I almost drove the green because my shot just kept rolling.

Basically its a country club course managed like a CPD course, but i wasnt paying park district prices and it didnt have the ease (for myself at least) or CPD courses or the charm (dudes walking down the fairway with no shirt, ball guy, etc)

Still a wild experience if you are ever down there.

5 Likes

Yes, definitely one of the wilder courses I’ve ever come across. When I mentioned to some friends that I was playing it, they just laughed and said, “You’re in for a treat.” The greens were like shag carpet when I played there a year or two ago. The regulars definitely outshone the course; pretty sure the clubhouse is where sloppy steaks were invented.

1 Like

Was definitely a public course back in the 1970’s. We played it in college, super cheap. Weekend tee sheet was always jammed. Starter would sneak in his buddies so tee times were always backed up by at least an hour.

Hole where cart path makes up 1/6th of fairway

7 Likes

Lol, that’s wild

Username checks out.

11 Likes

Yeah I played there last year and greens were really gnarly. Pretty wild course, but honestly some cool holes with all the elevation changes like you said. But also some pretty dumb holes. I believe the other 9 was designed by Langford

yah, looks like where some guys who are pieces of shit hang out

3 Likes

Too good. The course’s hair looks like it would slick back real nice.

2 Likes

Anyone wanna play Calumet on Monday? Tee times are only 30 bucks all day and it’s byob for anyone looking to get loose on the holiday.

I played there once. Really thought that hole should have been considered for the Yuck Club.

@baldvinny and myself have two open spots in our foursome for the chili open scramble at Shepherd’s Crook on Saturday, October 9th. 9am shotgun start. $75 for greens/cart fees and a bowl of chili. DM me if you are interested!

EDIT: The team is made and it’s gonna set the (scramble) course record.

5 Likes