Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

I’m playing Ravisloe @ 12:50 tomorrow if anyone is interested in joining

speaking of Ravi they’re throwing heat with the merch.

7 Likes

Glad I didnt see that last weekend.

Have 10:10 at calumet saturday, need a 4th. $45.

2 Likes

Just got back into town from a quick weekend in Galena and after playing the North course at Eagle Ridge for the 50th+ time I did a Google search on the course architect.

Roger Packard designed all four courses at Eagle Ridge, Cantigny, and the two Naperville PD courses (Springbrook and Naperbrook) among many other suburban courses.

I grew up in Naperville playing Springbrook. Coincidentally, I rank Cantigny and the North Course at Eagle Ridge as my two favorite Illinois courses. Such a small world!

6 Likes

That Ravi logo needs a refresh/redo/complete change

7 Likes

I’ve got the noon tee at Village Links on Saturday. 3 spots open.

1 Like

That is super interesting. Cantigny is one of, if not my favorite Chicago area course. Also, I’m headed to Eagle Ridge for a golf trip later this year for the first time, any suggestions on what to expect or how to make it a fun weekend for the group? (~16 guys)

1 Like

Are you renting a house?

You’ll love it! Here’s my power ranking of the 4 courses:

1. North
  2. General
  3. South
  4. East (9 hole)

Each one is worth playing and offer up some great scenery. Not very forgiving if you’re missing the fairways.

The territory is under new ownership and changes have been starting to roll out. Hopefully, you’ll be renting a house. There’s a new restaurant at the General with what looks like a great outdoor area for drinks. Downtown Galena has a decent lineup of bars/restaurants and is ~10 minutes away. Dubuque is another great option for nightlife if a 30 min drive is doable.

Let me know of you have specific questions about the area. I’ve been making multiple trips out there every year for about 20 years.

3 Likes

I live in Dubuque and play Eagle Ridge a few times a year. Shoot me a DM with any questions.

4 Likes

Great info, thanks for that. Right now the plan is to rent a house (AirBnB/VRBO) in the area. I would imagine the group wants to enjoy the local nightlife so I’d assume we’d be downtown Galena at least one of the nights and might head to Dubuque the other night. The trip isn’t until July so still plenty of time, thanks again

1 Like

I’ll piggy back off @Dmfitz2 and see if you can rent a house on property.
We like to stay off the 7th at the South Course, and always sneak out for a few extra holes later in the day.

Other wise, we enjoyed Gobbies for dinner - and a drink or 2 at the General’s Clubhouse (great view)

Course wise I like General > South > North > East…but there’s really no bad stretch of golf out there

1 Like

+1 on Gobbies

2 Likes

Did this last year for our trip for 8 guys. Was fun but with the condition the General was in, would only play once instead of twice. North and South were in much better shape and the East was closed. We’re going to Gull Lake in Michigan this year to try something new.

Check out VRBO vs. AirBNB - you’ll get better pricing. And don’t rent through the resort, way more expensive.

2 Likes

Chicagoland NLU’ers! I am helping the IJGA/MAJGT with their annual Masters Pool and wanted to pass along the signup.
The entry fee is $20 (No limit on amount of entry), 50% of the entry fee’s go towards payouts for the pool and the other 50% goes towards the IJGA’s annual fund/finance aid program supporting youth golfers in our own backyards.
Rules: Select one player from each of the 6 tiers. Your score is based off of your 4 best players out of your 6 players you selected.
Link: https://www.easyofficepools.com/join/?p=127680&e=ovkg
Payment: Venmo: @ijgagolf
Chase: mwennmaker@ijga.org

Feel free to reach out with any questions

2 Likes

I just had a spring miracle in the course!

I’m going straight to the tldr; Finished putting out on 18 at Fox Bend and realized my genius plan of clipping my car keys to my bag had backfired and my keys had fallen off somewhere on the course. I asked the pro shop if i could jump on a cart and drive around looking (I walked my round) and started searching in reverse order (18,17,16…). Found them just off the fairway on #2!

All of my juju from my shitty round must have been saved up for my keys.

7 Likes

Also how great is Fox Bend?

Relatively straight forward course with some fun holes. One diabolical par 3 on the front and some good finishing holes.

1 Like

First time playing the back nine today. I’ve played the front probably 10 times since last September bc I realized if I leave work a “few” minutes early I can sneak in nine before picking up the kids from daycare in a weekday.

It’s got just enough character to make me forget it’s a muni! Some of the pin placements are straight up bonkers.

Question for the group: what is the best affordable course that is within 30 miles of downtown Chicago? Proud member of the push cart mafia so you don’t have to include cart prices when considering affordability

1 Like