Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Small world, fourth year at Weston upcoming!

1 Like

Calgary Bearspaw member checking in.

Another Canadian NLU fan checking in. Originally from the GTA, moved out to Victoria 10 years ago. Already got my first round of 2019 in (wearing shorts may have been a little aggressive). Normally play at Cordova Bay here.

Hey all. Just checking in from Kitchener/Waterloo. Been following the NLU crews for about a year (‘researching’ my 2019 Scotland trip) but just discovered the forums… Member at Deer Ridge GC, a private McBroom in Kitchener. Happy to host any NLU fans this spring/summer/fall… just reach out. 14 cap. Avid golfer.

1 Like

A little late to the party, but what can ya do. I’m from a little north of Toronto but recently moved to Vancouver (under false pretences that I’d be able to golf year round). Haven’t gotten to play many tracks since moving so if anyone has suggestions I’d love to hear them

1 Like

Been on here a little while. Live in Toronto, member at Scarboro.

1 Like

@jimmay I just moved to KW! I was in Calgary for the last 8 yrs but moved here for work. Without the mountains to entertain me I’ve spent the last few months obsessing over golf… Warner weather can’t come soon enough.

I’m definitely taking notes on courses mentioned in the thread so far, but I’ll take any and all recommendations to get to know the scene in the area.

And as for Cabot, my new job takes me coast to coast occasionally. Definitely pulling off NS once the days get a little longer - one of our managers lives in Antigonish and says it’s everything you’d hope for. Between both of them and Highland Links that’s a solid week of work right there!

Hey Duncan. Nice to connect with you! I’d be happy to host you at Deer Ridge once it opens and will send you an ‘overview’ of the golf scene in KW to get you started. Will send tonight, cant send while I’m at work…

Drew

1 Like

btw, where were you used to playing in Calgary? Did you play Banff and Jasper? I hoping to get there summer of 2020…

Local Calgarian here, can give you the run down and help you plan your trip if you want.

1 Like

I’d love to come out and play, thanks for the offer!

In Calgary I played at Inglewood a lot, and Delacour east of the city. As someone mentioned above, Inglewood is one tree-removal project away from being exceptional - even as it is, I think it’s a wonderful course. Not overly long, but a great variety of length and shape to the holes and good use of the space along the river. Greens are usually decent too.

Delacour tends to produce a love or hate reaction depending on putting ability! Those greens are pretty wild - huge, multi-level and quick. I always enjoy it out there, super laid back vibe but well maintained.

I have played Banff but I never made it to Jasper with my clubs unfortunately. I think it’s phenomenal, but you definitely pay for the pleasure. Also mentioned before is Stewart Creek in Canmore which is pretty special. I find Silvertip in Canmore a bit gimmicky and tricked up, but that said it’s pretty amazing to play in those surroundings so I’d never turn down a round there.

Looking forward to connecting - I have some buddies here who play (at least one other member at Deer Ridge I believe) but it’s great to know there’s a fellow NLU’er out here.

A colleague of mine did pretty much a dream trip last year, you need some time and I might mess up the order of some of the courses in BC, but curious as to your thoughts.

Budget was fairly aggressive (also American so had that dollar going for him) but he loved it.

Day 1 - Fly into YYC Drive to Kananaskis - twilight round
Day 2- 36 holes at Kananaskis and quick drive to Canmore
Day 3 - Stewart Creek and a hike
Day 4 - Silvertip (against my recommendation, way too gimmickry for me) and quick drive over to Banff
Day 5 - Banff and drove to Golden
Day 6 - 36 holes at Golden
Day 7 - rest and drove to Invermere
Day 8 - Radium Springs
Day 9 - Copper Point
Day 10 - Eagle Ranch
Day 11 - Grey Wolf and drove to Kimberley
Day 12 - Trickle Creek
Day 13 - Bootleg gap and very short drive to St. Eugene
Day 14 - St . Eugene
Day 15 - Shadow Mountain and drove to Fernie
Day 16 - Fernie and drove back to Calgary
Day 17 - flew home

Only thing he said is he wish he did it in reverse and finished with the mountain courses.

1 Like

Thanks @Chadvb will connect when i start planning that trip!

1 Like

wow that does look like a dream trips. haven’t played in AB or BC (except Whister area) so can’t comment, but certainly some courses with great reputations on there!

I live here and want to do that trip, haha.

I have played most of those courses, although most over 10 years ago. Another solid place to consider going is Kelowna

Been here for awhile but first time poster from Windsor, ON. Been following the NLU crew since they started, would be happy to travel to or host a game in SW Ontario.

1 Like

Road trip down to Roseland! Super interested about it since someone mentioned it further up here - I’d make the trip down for that for sure.

Sounds great! I play there all the time, I would be to host. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Checking in from Halifax, member at Brightwood G&CC. For all of you who dream of the trip to Cabot, you won’t regret it.

1 Like