Roll Call: British Columbia

Can someone who’s more familiar with the whistler courses let me know - how would you compare whistler GC to chateau?

Heading up to whistler in July, playing big sky and NN for sure, but unsure which of the 2 is a better choice for our group (playing 3 rounds total) as a couple of the guis typically shoot ~100. I remember chateau as a tighter, more up/down course, but I haven’t played it in probably 8 years so I don’t remember much. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I haven’t gotten to play Whistler yet, but I know @MrVinegar206 has. He may have more insight.

1 Like

Checking in from Victoria. Play out of Victoria Golf Club. Since quarantine I’ve been mostly playing at Vic but have also been out to Bear Mountain a couple times. Courses are in great shape here on the Island!

1 Like

Will have to join you and @MarkInVictoria in that area at some point!

2 Likes

Whistler GC is old school, and by far the oldest of the 4 in the area. It sits down next to the bottom of the valley. It’s just really solid golf all the way around where if you tug it left or right, you might find the ball in pine straw or might go in the creek/pond.

Chateau is up on the side of the mountain; there are numerous holes where you are staring at the ski runs on the hill next to you. It’s really scenic and feels like you are on a fun adventure. As you said, there are far more ups/downs here. If you miss either side of the fairway, it’s a lost ball. It’s either going down the mountain side or stuck up on the side possibly in rocks, so you won’t find it.

If you are looking for a unique experience, Chateau is the course. If you are looking for a normal, playable, yet still challenging course, especially with 20 handicappers, Whistler GC is a solid choice.

You can’t really go wrong with either. Chateau is a can’t miss experience, but I would play at Whistler GC everyday if I had to choose one course to play the rest of my life.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers.

P.S. Thanks, @Sarah for tagging me haha

3 Likes

Did we want to set up a low-key Refuge island round of golf?

@Gogolfing @zoomse

Any others?

Mainlanders of course welcome. But was thinking just a casual round to meet up to start.

If the timing worked out, would definitely be game for trying to come to the Island for some golf!

1 Like

Thanks for that, very helpful!

1 Like

I’m up for a round. Weekends or evenings work best for me.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan Mark…I am a high school VP, so will be way more available starting in July. Nanaimo Golf Club has been back open to guests for a week now, patio and restaurant open with physical distancing…would love to host one there.

https://www.nanaimogolfclub.ca/ Check the link out and watch the new drone footage for the course…it’s pretty cool.

Gladly play somewhere else too.

1 Like

I’d love to hop up to Nanaimo for a round. I haven’t played it yet.

I play at Cordova Bay and would love to host there sometime too.

1 Like

I went to UVIC in the early 90’s, and used to play Cordova a few times a year. My Dad did business with the family that originally built it so got a few passes each year. Would be great to get back out there. Hopefully we can get this going in July some time.

Tardy response but would be up for a meet up on the Island. I’m in The Comox valley, would for sure do a weekend round in Nanaimo or similar.

1 Like

Morning all,

Given that BC’s looking to go into phase 3 in our COVID response, I’m confident about starting to plan a Victoria/Vancouver Island weekend. I don’t know if you’re like me, but I’ve had an awful lot of golf trips get canceled as a result of this pandemic and so I’m super eager to get out and play and at the point where I have to start using a couple of days off!

I’m happy to come to either Victoria area, Nanaimo or elsewhere that people recommend.

Figured I’d throw up some polls to gauge interest and availability and get other feedback etc.

Place?:

• Victoria
  • Nanaimo
  • Other

0 voters

Dates?:

• July 17-18
  • July 24-25
  • August 8-9
  • Other

0 voters

I put other just because I’m favouring September. Still great weather and would hope there would be greater availability of tee times. Also, my September is usually full with a bunch of events which I am sure will not be occurring this year.

That said, I have nothing planned for any of the proposed weekends.

September in the area is unreal! I’d be up for that for sure. I think someone who was interested is a teacher so that might be tough for some.

1 Like

I put in for Victoria, in August…but really any of the July or August dates would work. I am the one who is a high school VP, so September can be a challenge, but if weekends, could perhaps be doable if on a weekend, really depends on what schools look like in September.

I am a member at Nanaimo Golf Club and would be great to host a group here…course plays well through the fall and winter, so we will see what develops.

Getting fit for a new driver, 3 wood and hybrid on July 20 at Cowichan CC so would be good to have them in the bag by then, but likely won’t help my game!

1 Like

I could probably swing Victoria on a weekend day this summer. Where were folks thinking?

Alright, let’s just pick a weekend and do it. Any preferences between the July 18/19 weekend or the 25/26 weekend?

We could do Cordova Bay on the Saturday afternoon. Somewhere else Sunday (Highland Pacific, OV, Bear, other??).

1 Like

Agreed! Either works for me.

Edit: assuming Victoria area

Preference?

• July 17/18
  • July 24/25

0 voters