Roll Call: Bloomington/Normal

Just moved back to the Champaign/Urbana area after living in Georgia for a few years. If anyone wants to play around the area this summer let me know!

4 Likes

What are the good golf shops/fitters in the Peoria/Bloomington-Normal area?

Very late response, but I always try and support Illini Golf in Peoria. Haven’t been fit by them, but I know they do fittings.

There used to be a tiny golf shop in a house on Main St, just off ISU campus in blono. I never checked it out when I was living there, but as far as I’m aware that’s the only golf-specific store in town.

1 Like

Just seeing this as well - I also endorse Illini Golf in Peoria. It’s been a while since I have been there but I remember it being awesome. Really small shop packed wall to wall with equipment/merch and a good staff. I got fit for some clubs there back in the day and it was great, not sure if they still do fittings

In Bloomington the tiny golf shop on Main St. is called Bauer Golf. They are really solid at club repair but I’m not sure that they do any other sales. Definitely would recommend for repairs. I worked 4 years at the Golf Learning Center in Bloomington while I was at ISU. GLC used to be a great spot for repairs, sales, and fittings/range. Sadly it has changed management a few years ago and they no longer to club repair and they have severely scaled back on their merchandise and equipment sales. On the flip side, they dumped some money into the range and its a decent spot to hit balls when its not great weather (pizza spot downstairs is pretty solid too).

Other than that there isn’t really a good golf shop in BloNo, which is sad. For club fittings your best bet would be to catch a manufacturers demo day at one of the courses in town

2 Likes

@camgriff2 and I are going to play Lick Creek on Sunday AM. Anyone want to join? @kevjones @phegs32

1 Like

ROOST ROUND!

1 Like

Looking like 7:10, 7:20, and 7:30 are the open times, just to give an idea if somebody is interested!

1 Like

I booked 2 in the 7:20 slot for myself and @DrJ . If anybody wants to round out the group you should be able to book online, if not lemme know and I’ll call and get it taken care of!

As much as I would love to join (I haven’t stepped foot on Lick Creek at all this year…) my basketball program has a tournament in Bloomington all weekend.

My weekends free up in August so rain check for sure! Enjoy the round!

2 Likes

@camgriff2 @kevjones @phegs32 and anyone else in the area want to set up a round sometime this month?

2 Likes

I could make next Saturday or the 27th-28th weekend work!

2 Likes

That last weekend in August could work for me.

I’ll be down at the Lake of the Ozarks next weekend and super unavailable, both physically and mentally.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I think that’s the one weekend that doesn’t work for me. My folks will be in town visiting and probably shouldn’t bail on them for a few hours. But you and @camgriff2 should definitely get together for a round.

If weekends are tough, you guis could always come to my home track (Sunset Hills GC) for a weeknight twilight round. It ain’t fancy but it’s a good, casual time.

Bonus: My house is right behind the 9th tee and the beer fridge is loaded with Lattes.

2 Likes

Love a good twilight round. Weekdays can work as long as I have plenty of notice to coordinate daycare pickup/dinner with the wife.

Didn’t realize the 27th was Illinois football’s first game, so I’ll likely be in Champaign for that.

We’ll have to get something figured out here before the end of the season for sure

2 Likes

There’s a chance I’m not even available to play Monday, but anybody looking to get out on the holiday?

Wish I could, but too busy with family stuff. Most of my golf at this point is on weekdays when I can take a few hours of PTO. Temperature looks pretty ideal though - hope you can swing it.

1 Like

Bradley isn’t off. Yay private institutions.

That said I could maybe get out in the afternoon.