Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Foxtail South is very back and forth but is fun for an evening twilight round in the summer with a few beers. I went to college in Rohnert Park and I’m a very big fan of Foxtail North(good walking course). Greens are typically in very good shape and roll very true if you play early. Course can be stretched out if you play from the tips, plenty of challenge and the course is well bunkered from a design perspective, but the bunkers are in inconsistent shape.

Played this past Saturday, course was wet but it was a very enjoyable walk.

2 Likes

Hey All - brand new to the Bay Area (moved from NYC to Redwood City a few weeks ago). Trying to get out every weekend now that winter isn’t a hurdle! I’ve played Old Course at HMB, Pasatiempo, Shoreline Links and Poplar Creek thus far. Don’t have a golf network out here yet so hoping to make some friends to avoid these solo tee times every week! Look forward to year round golf and friends!

6 Likes

Welcome, Matt! We have a solid group of players here in the Bay Area. And lots of different courses. This thread is a great spot to check out where people are from, which courses they prefer, etc.

Get your butt to Corica Park.

3 Likes

Welcome in. Like Pat said, pretty active crew here. Someone is almost always up for a game. :+1:t3:
Baylands and Cinnabar are worth a look down your way. Cheers to year round golf (from a NY transplant also)!

3 Likes

Still need to check Cinnabar off my list!

1 Like

Great course. I’d make that trip.

2 Likes

We’ve got a nice Refugee contingent planning to come out for the Frigid Flask in a few weeks:

@gremlingolfer
@BeenMacKenzied
@leric90
@Slim
@fullbodyfix
@brett
@cjones143
@bdimugno

6 Likes

Going to be awesome to meet everyone IRL. Thanks for setting it up GG.

Also @brett and I are going to crush!
(I get like, lots & lots of strokes…right?!) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Completely agree on looking forward to meeting people! Taking the Refuge offline is where it is at!

4 Likes

played it a month ago, and spend an hour looking for balls just off the fairway. definitely going to be a bomber’s test in May.

1 Like

that strip of public golf from Corica to Metro to Monarch is an embarrassment of riches considering all are 5 mins away from each other. definitely ranks in that order - had avoided Monarch due to the pace of play reviews, but just played it this weekend was pleasantly pleased.

1 Like

Hi Everyone, I’m flying in to San Jose from Michigan Wednesday morning (Jan. 8) for a job interview, and have the whole day free. I’d love to get a round in, but unfortunately I’m not going to be able to bring my clubs…
By any chance would any of you fine California gentleman (or ladies) want to play 9 or 18 wednesday afternoon/evening, and have a set of clubs lying around that you wouldn’t mind me using?
Kind of a long shot, I know, but maybe the refuge can pull through! Cheers, crack on!

Gentleman and ladies of the Bay Area.

I will touch down at the Monterey Airport around noon, Feb 1st. Looking for recommendations on where to play.

1. Saturday afternoon - thinking Monterey Pines, Bayonet Blackhorse, or Laguna
  2. Sunday am is booked at Pasa. Shoutout @BeenMacKenzied. Keeping Sunday afternoon open, maybe Bayonet on the way back down to the BnB in Del Rey?
  3. Monday am is booked at Pac Grove. Nothing slated for the afternoon. Replay Pac Grove, catch Golden Hour light on the back 9?
  4. Tuesday is carrying Hermie’s bag around Pebble

This is more of a Strapped trip so trying to keep fees per round reasonable.

I’ve seen @GremlinGolfer mention Monterey Pines multiple times. This seems like the play for Saturday afternoon.

Any recommendations on must-eats/do’s, etc. I’m all ears.

And if I’m in the wrong place, I’ll hop out and start my own thread.

Thanks guis and gals!

4 Likes

If you’re flying into Monterey, nothing is really gonna be more than a 30 minute drive. You renting a car?

Bayonet and Black Horse are both awesome, and if you wait until 2pm or so it’s only like $45 with a cart. The other option that’s great and somewhat reasonable is Poppy Hills, I think twilight is around $80 and it’s absolutely worth that.

Monday might be the day to hit Monterey Pines as it’s super close to PG relatively, and I’m not sure if @GremlinGolfer has played it yet or not…

Must do’s: If you’re a wine guy, Carmel Valley has 20+ tasting rooms that are all fantastic, Joullian is a personal favorite of mine. There’s also some great restaurants but CV is kinda out of the way.

Here’s a few food and beverage recs: Monterey, CA Area Restaurant / Bar Suggestions

Wishing I was in town that weekend to join you for a round, you’re gonna have a ball

1 Like

Question for the seasoned competitive Bay locals - what’s the deal with the City championship? I was on the site trying to sort out how it works. All I cold figure out was there is some qualifying rounds and then match play. But no real specifics. I’m assuming it’s all gross? Are the qualifying rounds stroke or match also? I know I’m not at the level to compete. Just curious. Thanks.

2 Likes

Flaherty’s Seafood in Carmel is really good, kinda expensive but really good it’s where we went Sunday evening at the U.S. Open

2 Likes

Was gonna suggest Poppy for your afternoon round after Pac Grove

2 Likes

The way I understand it is there are a bunch of different flights. So you sign up for the flight you belong and then play gross against your flight from there:

36 holes of stroke play qualifying then a cut into match play. Not sure where they are playing the stroke play and match play portions for the non-championship flights…

Sounds like a fun trip! @Mack nailed it…and I’d do whatever I could to play the back nine at PG around 4 pm

My recommendation for food is the Monterey Fish House.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I see now: 6.4 or lower for championship flight index, Open flight is open…play around at Lincoln to determine seeds, then match play. thanks G

2 Likes