Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Hmmm… my company just bought a private course in the Monterey area.

1 Like

Pasadera?

1 Like

Pray it isn’t coral de Tierra

Pasadera just got sold. Has to be it.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one. Read up on it today, it’s been through quite a few hands over the last 24ish years.

1 Like

Yup. Supposedly pretty difficult. Never been able to play it, but grew up across the highway from it and played tennis there a ton when it first opened.

It is right next to Laguna Seca Golf Course and you can see Pasadera from 14th tee of Laguna Seca.

Is coral bad?

It’s one of the least inspiring courses I’ve played and the membership is wildly overpriced. If it were anywhere else in the country it would’ve closed down 10 years ago

2 Likes

lol, disclaimer: i was a very average to below average golfer at the time, but this was my junior high school team’s “home course,” and I don’t think i remember a single hole except for maybe 1

2 Likes

Disclaimer #2: still a very average to below average golfer

1 Like

Played Pasadera once a few years back. It’s a bit of a hodge podge design wise. I think there’s probably enough interesting land out there for a good course. I just don’t remember anything standing out other than it was in good condition and there’s a crazy forced carry par 3 (that I almost aced) followed by a crazy mega long down hill par 4. Tbh that might be my general feeling about most designs by Jack. Just kinda meh (exception: Mayacama which is sweet).

The other thing about that weekend was I played Stanford, and Quail Lodge before pasa and it was fairly easily the least fav of the 3. Def not bad. But not great.

When was the last time you played corral? My parents recently relocated and my dad joined, so I’ve played it 5-6 times in past year. I strongly dislike the two par 5s on the back but don’t really otherwise share your opinions. Could partly be because all the private memberships where I am (LA, lol) are wildly cost prohibitive. I guess the caveat is you don’t really need a membership in the Monterey area given the public scene, but still.

2 years ago. The problem with Corral imo there’s nothing special enough about corral to make it worth the initiation and dues.

I did some budgeting when i lived there and could play 3 rounds a month at del monte/bayonet & blackhorse/PG and once at month at spanish bay or spyglass for what it cost in dues at corral.

1 Like

Morning Everyone, Joined the Nest last summer but never really scrolled the forum. Live in Oakland and have been here since 2012 after moving from Oregon. Run a Golf Club (not a country club, but a golf club that has an affiliation with a public course to host our tournaments) so golf is a huge part of my life.

finalized my divorce in December so have some more time now and want to use it playing golf. No kids but I got the dog who I spoil as much as possible.

6 Likes

Just sent you a message!

1 Like

Responded, added slack and filled out the form. Thanks for getting after it so fast!

1 Like

Which course/club are you affiliated with?

Headed up to the Bay next week. I have a free day before I fly home Monday evening (1/22). I know Mondays are probably a tough ask but if anyone wants to tee it up that day let me know. Flight is at 6 pm for tee time reference.

1 Like

Yo! What part of the bay will you be in Monday? Weather looks awful but I’d be down to give Monday a go

Yeah weather looks brutal the entire time I’ll be up there. I can kind of be wherever in the Bay on Monday tbh. I’ll be coming from Novato in Marin but may check out my employer’s office in San Mateo depending if/when golf happens then flying out of SFO. So, potentially all over the place.

If later works best for golf though then very open to skipping the trip to the San Mateo office.