Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

If I had to choose one I would play Presidio. Better course than Harding Park for a much better price. I’d argue that Presidio is one of the best courses in the bay area. It has a lot of elevation changes, the greens are interesting, and the conditioning is typically very good. 11-15 at Presidio is one of my favorite stretches of holes in the Bay Area, with 15 being my favorite Par 3 out here.

Harding Park is fun, but the conditioning leaves a lot to be desired. The rough is long enough that you lose balls, and the greens haven’t been very good the last few times I’ve played it. The back nine is very fun, but the front nine isn’t very memorable asides from a few holes/the walk in the trees.

Only downside to Presidio is the course is going to be soaked but it’s wet most of the year anyways.

4 Likes

SF City champ is during your dates, so Presidio might be tough to play. If you’re able to venture outside the city, I’d probably recommend Half Moon Bay Ocean.

Half Moon Bay Ocean is a great recommendation.

Baylands, or Corica Park South are other good courses to play if you’re able to travel outside of the city. You could play Corica Park South/North and play 27 holes. Plus, Corica Park North is one of the best 9 holes in the Bay Area.

2 Likes

More than half the course is played uphill save 1, 4 (par 3), 7 (par 3), 9, 11, 12 (down then up), 15 (par 3), 18. Most of the downhill holes are par 3s which leaves a lot of long holes going up. Since the course is almost always wet, it’s usually cart path only so it makes more sense to walk but it’s a tough uphill walk for most of the round.

It’s still very interesting and very beautiful. The bunkers are gorgeous (but the rough around the bunkers is super penal). It’s also one of the older courses in the country from 1895, which is probably considered a new build based on UK&I standards!

Course is great, just wanted to warn you about the uphill. Harding has the advantage of being a host venue for PGA and LPGA events so if you do get to play it then you can watch those events and understand the holes better maybe.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I’m heading up to the Pacific Grove Monterey area this week and was wondering if anyone was interested in playing one of the more budget courses in the area like PG on Thursday.

Definitely the right thread. I can’t join but we all love PG. Poppy Hills is also a great track, better deal for NCGA members but still relatively inexpensive to the other courses on the peninsula.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and advice! It looks like there is availability on Saturday 18th / Sunday 19th late afternoon, so I’m going to get on Presidio if they’ll let me as a single player and can rent me some clubs! Anyone is welcome to join if they are up for it.

2 Likes

If you have a few extra hours and the course is fairly open, might be worth checking out Lincoln after playing a real round at presidio…

Disclaimer, the conditioning of the course will be far different(less manicured) than Presidio but it’s plenty fun, has a lot of funky holes, walkable, awesome views, and the greens are the best I’ve seen them in years(for lincoln standards lol). It will also be a very affordable twilight round.

2 Likes

They do rent out clubs for $50ish and it was a nice set of Taylormade or Callaways last month. They’ll just join you up if you’re solo. I didn’t wear golf shoes so that’s poss one less thing to pack but I’d definitely recommend waterproof trainers/sneakers!

Ben Church’s email address is on their site, he helped me book as a solo rather than calling internationally

1 Like

@RACDGNorCal

Hello friends.

Hit me or @hwb up if you want to play! Or click link below.

https://www.golfgenius.com/register?league_id=9117673038635125582

3 Likes

All are welcome! Nest members or not.

27 holes at Corica north.
Alt shot
Two person scramble
Four ball

Raising money for CASA of Alameda.

It’s a true can’t lose situation.

1 Like

I’ll ask around the BCC chat. Do they need to register on the golf genius site? It currently shows as waitlisted

Yes. Sign up there. It’ll auto-assign them to non waitlist once the player they are replacing officially drops.

I’m traveling to downtown SF for a work trip in mid-April and have an extra day for golf. I’m leaning towards making a day trip up to Northwood to play 36, but wanted to check with the group here to see if there’s any place else I should consider for a day trip from SF.

I’ve played Pasa before and am leaving the Monterrey courses for another time. Presidio, Sharp Park and Harding are of interest, but I’ll probably leave those for another time when I just have a half-day free.

Thanks!

1 Like

My $.02

Instead of 36 at Northwood, do 18 at Northwood first off in morning, then head southwest 30 minutes and get out for an afternoon round at Bodega (if you don’t mind a bit of breeze and some house lined golf)

14 Likes

36 at Northwood is four trips around which is awesome but you might want to do Bodega Bay (18) and then as many loops on Northwood as you can. They’re about 30-45 minutes away and is an amazing combo.

5 Likes

Sold on Bodega. Thanks for input!

3 Likes

Great choice!

1 Like

The drive through western Sonoma county is great as well, brings you out of redwood forests and to the coast, a great between round cruise!

2 Likes

Also… slow play on Northwood between the hours of 10:30-4:00 can ruin your plans. If it’s a weekday fair enough. But over the last 20 years vacationers have started going to the Russian River more and more. Thus creating the slow downs at Northwood.

You can get 18 in after 5pm without breaking a sweat.

1 Like