Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Gonna be a great weekend. Palo Alto Golf Club match play championship starts tomorrow. 64 players.

Really hoping for a @giles + @hwb finals.

7 Likes

I’d echo Poppy Hills, which is such a gem. I haven’t played Bayonet or Black Horse but I hear good things and also that they are HARD courses.

If you just want to have an excellent, fun round you can’t go wrong with Pacific Grove, as long as you can wait for the back nine. (The front nine is fun too but the back is god tier).

2 Likes

To echo most other statements -
Bayonet is the more challenging course, though Black Horse has some tricky green complexes. I enjoy both courses and every time I’ve played them they have been in excellent condition.
Poppy is awesome if you are ok not playing on the water, their twilight rate is usually great.
I don’t mind lacuna seca but it really can be overpriced. If you find a hot deal on GN it can be worth the money but otherwise I would skip it.
Pacific Groves back 9 is all world for the price, though the front nine is a snooze fest (sorry if I offend anyone).

2 Likes

While it’s not all world, PG front nine is kind of charming. 7 is probably the worst hole, and even that’s got a blind tee shot.

@TXUte you can also play just the PG back nine for like the first hour of tee times for like $30. So you could do that and then hit up B/B or Poppy.

Laguna Seca isn’t worth it. It’s sort of fun, but definitely the scrappy local track with a higher price.

I would also echo Quail Lodge. It seems pricey, but man it’s worth every penny.

3 Likes

Agree with most of the above. Bayonet is awesome if you’re ready for a brawl. The 74.8 rating is no mistake. TBH Black Horse doesn’t do much for me outside of the views of the peninsula. The anti-Bayonet is Carmel Valley ranch: short and playable but I’ve really enjoyed it the couple times I’ve been out.

As for cheaper options, cosign the above. Laguna Seca is fine if you live in the area and want to check it out, but not worth it if you’ve got limited time in Monterey. I’d echo @oski - I’ve always enjoyed PacGrove’s front 9 (for what it is) and the back is the best deal in golf. I’d throw Del Monte in there as a decent cheaper option if you are playing after 3 (it’s worth the twilight rate, probably not worth the full rate), and it has the best logo in the area.

2 Likes

Appreciate the tips! :facepunch:t3: Pacific Grove is a must. Will see if I can squeeze a second round in.

Only asked about Laguna as its closest to where we are staying. Love the direct feedback :joy:

3 Likes

Does the weather affect playability of any area of courses around Christmas-time?

Seems like it is still decent around my parent’s house just south of San Jose, but what about SF, Monterey, Northwoods, etc.?

I haven’t lived down there in about 10 years but Northwood could be literally under water in December if we are actually getting rain.

Some courses around drain really poorly. Crystal springs and Sharp Park tend to be mud puddles. Corica does pretty well

1 Like

I AM OFFENDED SIR!!!

In my mind a “snoozefest” of a nine holes is one with no variety, no character, no memorable holes.

The front nine at PG hits you with an oddity right out of the gates, back to back par 3s, One is a handshake and then boom you gotta step up and hit a really good shot on. 3 and 4 are fun risk/reward par 4s with options for anyone. The back to back par 5s are meh and 7 is meh but 8 is a good hole and 9 is just ok. All in all I think it’s better than a snoozefest.

Thanks for coming to my TT.

5 Likes

It’s all about rain. Sadly we are in a massive drought yet again so rain is more of a theory, but in normal years you can certainly play all year round it can just get messy and sloppy. Many courses don’t have ideal drainage.

1 Like

Hey I’m all in on your take and I 100% respect it!
It’s been a little while since I’ve played it but I just feel like it really isn’t great. 3 and 4 are fun because they are (depending on LCP) easy holes but besides that the only hole that I really remember being fun is 8. The back to back par 3s to start but the rest of the front is usually dodging golf balls from other holes (insert the “tight piece of property” gif here).
With all that said I would play the front 9 twice just to play the back once - it’s not bad, it’s just not memorable. But maybe that’s because the back is so good?

3 Likes

Yeah, I grew up in San Bruno. It seems like Crystal Springs was always muddy (foggy). Finally played Sharp Park just a few years ago in mid-December, wasn’t too bad.

Crystal Springs kinda sucks. I’ve played it maybe three or four times and it’s never in good shape, they charge like it is, and it’s not really walkable. Some people LOVE it and I’m happy for them but I don’t get it.

3 Likes

Crystal Spring is awesome if your idea of awesome includes 7 hours to play a round.

2 Likes

You know, oddly, it does not.

Of all the things I remember about not liking that course, pace of play wasn’t even one of them but that isn’t helping.

1 Like

It’s maybe 8 minutes from my office but if I have time for an evening round I’d rather go to Poplar. It’s frustrating too, because it’s in such a beautiful place, and could be really good.

Played it once and it was so so. Prices are definitely high for what you get. I just remember the first hole being an abomination.

Crystal springs was our home course in High school. Brutal when everyone else in our division was at country clubs.

But it was a great home course advantage and trying to finish out a stroke play 9 there with OB on both sides on 9 teaches you how to play with pressure

Mills or Burlingame? Not sure I even know what course Cap played at, but I suppose they might have worked out something with Green Hills just next door.

1 Like