Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Any third round at BD is free. Peter Hay was like $35 before the redesign but it was unlimited play which made it worth it (for my cheap ass). I’m sure it’s much better now but I think I’d rather go play Bayonet at twilight instead

2 Likes

Hello friends :slight_smile: I’ve been playing with a great mixed group of men and women - mostly East Bay - calling themselves the Froggers Golf Association (FGA) and they are starting their tournament season this Saturday, March 27, at Poppy Ridge. 27 confirmed, need one more single to fill out the group. $112 flat rate, low net 3 individuals cash and then there’s long drive/closest to pin on both nines, etc. I think lunch or breakfast is also comped. DM me if you’d be interested in grabbing the last spot !

1 Like

Yea… I just called yesterday and spoke with a Bandon Rep by the name of Debbie, and she said you can even go 18 hole course, Preserve, and then have another 18 hole course as your complimentary. Super cool for those that are in shape enough to do it. Nice of the Bandon folks to also not stand on pretense and allowing players to have the Preserve as the 2nd course (looking at financials, that’s a great deal). I’m definitely going to start working out again for my trip there this year!!!

1 Like

Edit: NVM on Pasatiempo question, realized I will be burned out from hiking for 5 days. Did book a round at The Hay for Sunday the 2nd though.

2 Likes

For my bay area guis

Hello everyone!

Just read through this treasure trove of info on golf around here and the depth of local course knowledge is incredible. Thank you all for sharing.

I’m an enthusiastic beginner golfer, live in SF, been playing for 3 years but more seriously in the last year. My go-to courses are the local 9-holers (GG park, Fleming, Mill Valley, McInnis) and one of my favorite courses in area is Bodega.

Listener of NLU podcast and their YouTube channel for the last year. This is my first time on the Refuge.

After reading the las 2,500+ posts, one this is clear. I need to play Corica South. So the question is, how the heck do I get a weekend tee time there? Any tips & tricks are appreciated!

Thanks,
Brenda

8 Likes

Welcome!

Yeah Corica is special. Bag the little par 3 nine holer while you’re there.

Best bet honestly is stalking the site and grabbing a twilight time. Or make sure you have notifications on here bc we’ll often post a late opening when people drop off.

They have a large membership that get first crack at tee times. That’s the other option…

Cheers

1 Like

Welcome, Brenda! I second @fullbodyfix in keeping an eye on this forum for occasional South Course tee times popping up. In the meantime, definitely get over to the short course, it’s incredibly fun, one of my favorite spots in the Bay Area or really anywhere.

After struggling to get tee times during the first re-opening of courses last summer, my regular foursome has handed out responsibilities so each of are responsible for getting a time every 4th weekend. It’s been a challenge but we’ve figured out some tricks, namely the courses that still embrace a good old-fashioned phone call to the pro shop (Northwood, Presidio) and then the courses that operate on 1-week out time versus 2-week out times. Corica runs through the site ezlinksgolf.com which is booking times one week out. So we’ve had some success staying up until midnight on a friday, refreshing that browser at 11:59 PM, and snagging morning times for the following saturday. If this sounds like normal behavior to you, you’re in the right place! Welcome to the Refuge!

4 Likes

Welcome!

Aside from having a quick mouse midnight the week before, I’ve had success just keeping the booking website open and refreshing it. Something sometimes pops up.

Also, when I played last week, I found out that Corica is ending all their membership/card programs, like the Founder’s club and the Resident Card (for non-Alameda) residents, as each membership individually expires. So my Resident card expired recently, so I am out. The guy in the shop isn’t sure what they are going to do moving forward. Bummer for me as the resident card was a great deal, but it’ll be interesting to see what they do moving forward.

3 Likes

Is the 9-holer at Corica part of the course they are currently updating?

No, it’s a par-3 course (called the MIF Albright). It’s all short holes. Corica is actually “Corica South” and there’s a north course that is under construction. They’re doing it in parts, so there will be a new nine on the North open soon, and then they’ll finish the second nine subsequently.

2 Likes

@MaxfliHT90TourBalata great suggestions, I will keep an eye out on here for invites. I have become something of a Pro when it come to staying up until 11:59pm to snag a tee time. I’ll try my luck this Friday when they open the slots.

2 Likes

Who’s the best clubmaker in the Bay Area, ideally North Bay? I have a special set or irons and wedges I want to make, but need everything but the heads. Thanks.

Had a good experience with Sean at Alameda Golf Works.

Guys at Kepler’s in Walnut Creek are class acts.

The best? IDK for sure. Haven’t had a lot of jobs in the area and started tinkering a lot on my own.

anyone want to play sharp park this weekend? seeing 1:40 / 1:50p on Fri or sat. I could do either…

Can’t do weekend afternoons but you know its a drought year when people are actively seeking Sharp tee times in March

2 Likes

hahahaha oh too true. Finding an AM tee time these days anywhere is like hitting the lotto.

I think @greebs and i will try to play at Richmond late friday morning. Can’t guarantee a time until 730 Wednesday but you’re welcome to be our guest if there’s space and you don’t mind playing with a couple shitty golfers

1 Like

I’d be down. Keep me posted.

Has anyone been to the newly rebranded Bay View Golf Club (formerly Summitpointe)? They are touting that the course has been “re-developed” but I’m not sure exactly what that means. Has the course changed at all?

https://www.playbayview.com/course/

I haven’t been there for years. The layout was definitely quirky, but not horrendous, and conditioning was sometimes suspect. I’ve heard anecdotally that things are much improved, but don’t know any specifics.