Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

thanks all for the feedback!

Is there a waitlist at Dunwoody? Assuming it’s similar to the other in-town courses?

I meant fox creek :smiley:

Home of the worst 5th hole in all of golf.

6 Likes

I think in the same ballpark but maybe a little shorter than places like Cherokee, Ansley, Capital City, etc. It also probably depends on whether you are joining under 36 or not.

Any statement to the contrary is indefensible. The only purpose that hole serves is as a great sledding hill when Atlanta gets its once in a decade blizzard.

1 Like

Me and a couple buddies are playing the Fields for the first time on Sunday. Have a spot open if anyone wants to join. Currently have tee times at 9:40 and 2:30.

1 Like

I’m really curious to see how the GA Pub Links goes later this year. I think a match-play event there would be really cool for all of the unknowns/guestimates that you describe, but a stroke play event out there feels terrifying. I foresee numerous ejections over those couple of days.

1 Like

Last year, I went down a rabbit hole researching membership at most of the Atlanta-area clubs. Dunwoody is the most attractive from a financial perspective, especially if you are young enough to take advantage of the under 36 deal. The only problem is that membership category has a multi-year long waitlist for full golf privileges. Cherokee, Capital City, Atlanta Country Club, and Piedmont Driving Club were all absurdly expensive (we’re talking 6-figure initiation fees in addition to mortgage-payment sized monthly dues) and many had long periods of “posting” before you could get in. You can get full playing privileges at Ansley’s Settindown course right away, but it’s still a 1-2 year wait for any sort of privileges at the Midtown location. I learned a ton about the Atlanta country club/golf scene during this quest and would be happy to chat further. Tron and Neil’s Crash Course on Atlanta was also insightful.

5 Likes

Signed up to play it. Pretty convinced an ultra conservative style of play will do well. Unless they make the forest and brush lateral hazard for pace of play.

2 Likes

Signed up along with @RangerB! Need to put together a practice schedule but it will involve a lot of work getting off the tee and in play more consistently. Getting in play and scores on 3, 5, 10, 12, 17, and 18 will determine who plays well and who ejects.

2 Likes

It’s bad. I heard they pissed off a homeowner so she put it in her will to never sell that land to DCC. I think I might want to blow it up and make a par 3 there if I were in charge of things.

The 6th hole is so nice it made me forget it. 7’s not a great hole either, but the rest of the course is great.

2 Likes

I wanted to share with this crew a fundraising event that we will be announcing on Friday to a select portion of our membership and then next Thursday to the entire GSGA membership base.

Last year, we did a golf marathon in Rome at Coosa where @fanofrockytop and about a dozen other people played a bunch of golf in one day and raised over $30k for junior golf and adaptive golf in Georgia.

We are doing it again this year but holding the event at Druid Hills on Monday, August 23rd (yes, you ride in carts). In addition to the marathon, we will be holding a concert at the Byers Theatre in Sandy Springs on the Saturday before as well as a kickoff party on Sunday at Intown Golf Club for sponsors/VIPs/marathon participants who hit a fundraising goal.

Lots of fun, lots of golf, plenty of food and drinks, and some pretty good tee gifts.

If anyone is interested in it, let me know or keep an eye out for an email from the GSGA or our social media feeds next week.

5 Likes

7 is a fantastic hole, firm disagree there. 6 used to be better prior to redesign.

6 is the par 3? I loved it.

7 is the dogleg left par 4? I can meet you on that. Maybe my tug into the left trees clouded my judgement. The green is good. The member I played with wanted a creek in front of the green, there’s a hidden drainage pipe under the turf already.

Thanks @Tripp_GSGA I still tell the story to friends and family. The Marathon support key initiatives for the GSGA and allows us to give back to the game we love and drives us crazy. When I think back to last year, it was so well run by the staff - from kickoff party the night before with Eric Dodd to a day full of golf (89 holes for me - in a cart). Not to mention, this was all done during the middle of the shutdown last year.

When I look ahead to the ‘21 marathon I’m super excited about the schedule of events for the weekend. If you have the ability to support, please consider it (being completely selfish me - ha!). If you have the ability to play, do it - it’s so much fun.

More to come…

1 Like

Super last minute, but anyone looking to get a twilight round in at Sugar Creek tomorrow (6/11)? $19 to walk after 3pm. New to the area- looking to get a round in and hopefully meet some fellow golfers. Shoot me an email at vanderzwaag.jacob@gmail.com or a text at 5858809793. Cheers!

1 Like

I can’t tomorrow and you may want to call them because after heavy rain they sometimes close the course. I usually go out there a couple nights a week though so happy to catch you another time.

Sounds good, and thanks for the advice. I didn’t even check the forecast, but it does look pretty brutal so may have to push to a different day.

Looked at this when I moved to Atlanta a few years ago - they were running junior membership specials then, and it was extremely reasonable to join. Like @Cottonseed said it’s definitely a players club - if you’re looking for some good money games it’s a good spot. Great greens.