Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

The best part about Cherokee Run is the zoysia fairways. It’ll spoil ya, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

good call…Legacy has some classy touches with the free refreshments for sure.

Some higher dollar options that are a little further out but worth it:
Achasta
Chestatee
Lake Arrowhead.

sry ok ill stop just listing all the courses in GA.

1 Like

I was talking with a guy who was a member out there and they’ve had some major drama recently. Owner was at odds with the HOA I think? I forget the details but it was pretty wild.

Pure golf award goes to the UGA course though :wink:

That place is mint and the only place where I’m encouraged to walk.

3 Likes

Hey all - if you’re looking to join a place that has some #woke architectural significance and is the best value in Atlanta, look at Rivermont. I joined this year, if you’re under 26 it’s $190 a month and $650 initiation - one of my favorite courses i’ve played here, and the membership is all about golf

3 Likes

Also always willing to host this winter if you’re looking for a game!

2 Likes

I looked at joining Rivermont earlier this year, but we had to do some roof work and it is pretty far from ( I live in the West End area), but it seems great.

I play Bob Jones, Browns Mill, Lake Spivey and Candler park a good bit.

Growing up I would play Dogwood and Creekside out in Paulidng a lot .Plus some cobblestone, Marrietta city club.

I will agree with some of what is above. On the right day the Frog is supreme.

1 Like

the mont! that place is sick. I was going to join but we ended up moving at Athens.

Gosh the greens at the University course are maybe the nicest I’ve ever played, so pure.

Outside of downtown, the UGA course was the second-biggest reason I lost my HOPE scholarship…

Love that place. Back nine always had the more memorable holes to me, even if… 13 (I think), par 5 over water was always a pain in the ass.

1 Like

that hole SUCKS…12 i think. Other than that, just a proper golf course. Love their vibe. RIP to your HOPE though…

The number of 80-yard wedge shots I hit just to get close enough to the water to make the green reachable (not to mention the number of layups I dunked in that lake) still gives me nightmares.

Had some fun times out at Lane Creek, too… and some interesting post-round drives back to 5 Points.

If anyone’s wondering, ~37 degrees might be too cold for golf. Still recovering from a) the elements and b) how out of control wolf hammer got.

6 Likes

So for @gatorz7888 and all the rest who had Cherokee Run advice, thanks! Gator, I did not play from the tips, went from the Augusta greens. I had a blast out there. And shot a gross 98, so pretty happy about that. Made for a respectable net.

Got off to a great start with par on the first (take that, Arnold). Missed a few more par putts on 2-6 by mere inches. Course was in great shape, the Naturday was flowing, everything felt good.

Then came 7. That hole railed me. Tee shot went OB in my first truly bad strike of the day. Second tee shot landed high on the hill to the right. Approach landed short of the front bunker. Chipped up and over the green. Putted back downhill, rolled into the front bunker. Got out of the bunker, and then three putted.

So naturally I was brimming with confidence as I rolled up to the 8th, which many of you (esp. @mearley44 here) reported as one of the gnarlier holes in the state.

In the spirit of NLU, I decided, “f*ck it, let’s go get a stroke back on this bitch” and tried to rip a five iron over the corner.

Somehow, I made it. My ball was on the left rough, and I had about 220 yards into the front of the green. Definitely doable!

But the lie was atrocious. It looked like my ball was perched on the fraying toupee of a badly balding man. It was also well above my feet on a weird slope, so this was going to come out with a serious draw. Not trusting my 3 iron to do its usual ~240 yard work from the lie, I decided to rip a driver off the deck, with one leg up against the rope fence of the cart path.

I whiffed/chunked and sent the ball skittering about 80 yards down, into the chaff on the opposite side of the fairway, so it was basically a layup anyway. Next shot? Splash. With no one behind me and a looming Atlanta traffic jam of golfers ahead, I used the time to fish my ball and a half dozen others out of the creek in front of the green. I took practice lobs with the half-rotted balls (strokes don’t count if the ball partially disintegrates on impact, right?), and then finally took my own ball. I skulled it straight into the rocks across the creek; it kicked back over my head and landed ten yards behind me. I finally chipped that into a semi-respectable position astride the green and two-putted.

Rest of the round was actually not too bad. The par 3’s are phenomenal, and I nearly reached the 18th green in 2 (this time with a more successful driver off the deck). But damn, 7 and 8 are brutal. Definitely gonna have to go back now that I’ve seen it.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome, ATLiens. I’ve learned my lesson: heed the refugees.

3 Likes

Don’t mind me, I’m just over in the woods punching out. Then dropping one into the drink. Good times.

3 Likes

Only shot I have from a dark and chilly start, @rmattgolden on the tee at 4, shortly after which I would go alone, lose the hole, and throw in a Bin Laden for good measure.

2 Likes

Amazing. That photo is great with the frost, and fog in the background. One of the best holes on the course.

1 Like

#4 is a great hole, that I have never seemed to get right. Lay back off the tee and have a longer iron to a green that is not very deep with water in front. Very nerve racking chip back towards the water if you go long.

1 Like

Any takers for Saturday morning at Bobby Jones? $57 right now. Trying to go out at 9ish. Get done before the big games kickoff

I am going out as a solo at Bjones at 8:30 saturday. Forewarned I stink.