Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

see @pullhooks… i think there are 1 or 2 more as well.

1 Like

Agreed but to praise where it’s due, I think that is a problem they realized - we were letting people making 18 hole bookings with a 2 hour 10 minute split and no one was making the turn on time and our PoP was awful. Let’s make it more clear it should just be 9 holes and hopefully we clean that up a bit.

Granted, they decided to get eliminate an effect (back up on tee 1), not the actual problem (slow pace due to no enforcement).

1 Like

That’s Atlanta being Atlanta.

I can, and do, go to Pinehurst with my family, walk in with putters only, and the 4 of us play Thistle Dhu for as long as we want for free. BJGC charging $10 for a 9 hole loop of theirs just makes me happy to be an OTP guy.

1 Like

Saturday evening I’m playing. 5:24 time. Get to the tee around 5:10 and see 3 people. Assume they’re going out, almost ask to join up with them to consolidate as much as possible. To my dismay, two of them tee off (high school kids, AJGA tags, they were good) and the middle aged guy with his wife (not playing) hang back.

I ask when his time was - he says 5:12. I bite my tongue for 30 seconds and finally say - so are you going to play back with us at 5:24 or what? Cause it makes absolutely zero sense to send you out as a single in between us and just slow everything down. He claims a staff member told him to let them play ahead of him. I call bullshit - he was out there with his wife and wanted to quietly play alone. Which I get. My GF was walking with me too but let’s not fuck up the tee times. He tees off by himself after he was not a fan of my line of questions…

To his credit, he joined back up with the kids on the second hole and we had a nice pace for the round.

1 Like

Yeah I mean you’re laying down a few hundred a day to be a resort guest. That makes sense. And to some extent - I get them wanting to charge. $10 isn’t it and if I’m paying to play 9 holes, I should get a courtesy loop on the putting course after my round.

1 Like

Rivermont is fantastic. Was invited as a guest there before they renovated the clubhouse. Love it.

For low cost, how is River Pines doing these days? I used to play there a lot when I lived in Dunwoody years ago.

You don’t have to be a resort guest to play Thistle Dhu. You just have to walk in from the parking lot. You don’t even have to check in anywhere.

Can you? Sure. Don’t think they’re checking for room cards. It’s a giant green. Are you supposed to? I don’t think so.

1 Like

Been playing Riverpines at least once per week all summer. It’s the best public golf deal around imo, course is in decent shape, it’s just slammed every weekend (and most week days). Hard to get a decent tee time

1 Like

It was my favorite public place before I moved out to Canton.

Played the par 3 at RiverPines last week. The greens were unplayable.

I am also a member.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge on the Old Fort McPherson course? I’d imagine Tyler Perry will just bulldoze when he needs the land but it had some good bones and it would be great to have another course in the city.

1 Like

I thought he had already bulldozed it to make make room for some of the studios. If it is still there I imagine it’s a jungle with 10 plus years of no maintenance.

I remember playing there as a kid when my dad was stationed there. Cool place for a course if it can be made back into a course.

Looking at the latest Google earth images, the course is still there. I can’t remember the routing but it appears all fairways are still there and sand is still in the bunkers. The greens are overgrown and hard to see but you can tell where are based upon the green side bunkers.TPS09302020

Yeah I was looking at google earth it looks like two holes have been taken out so far. Based on how the whole deal went down I don’t have much faith that Tyler Perry would do anything for it to make it a community asset

Would he keep any of It if he ever needed to film something on a golf course?

I’m guessing going to a course to film would be cheaper than keeping one himself on the of chance he ever films Madea Breaks Par

1 Like

I’m a member at Rivermont. Live in town and drive 35 minutes to get there, but it’s far better to do that than the alternatives. Feel free to reach out.

2 Likes

Completely agree.