Roll Call: Alberta

Anyone want (need?) a round late this week in central or southern AB?

Late in the day Thursday, or any time Friday would be fine for me. Have clubs / will travel, as always. Calgary / area, or as far as Wolf Creek on Friday for our northen friends… hit me up!

Alberta team - The Duck Club Roost se2 is kicking off in a few days!

As the local ambassador / shit stirrer for Canada’s Premier Roost, I’d love to have some more folks enjoying the competition remotely. Lots of flexibility for quota rounds when and where you please, extra pops if you play with another Roost dweller, and - shoutout @Banjopete - the prospect of majors like The Tussle next year.

Ultimately, it’s an extra kick in the pants to meet up and play a quota round together. Each round has a few weeks as a window, so room to play as and when it suits. September quota round goes live in a couple days - will be squeezing mine in late with @alhunter’s visit.

Tagging some locals as a call to arms - @Bunk @T3J @cav007 to start, and also our captain @BigtimePolecat for signups and whatnot.

Let’s go, gang! You too could win a spot in Kansas / St Louis / Springfield / wherever the fuck next fall…

4 Likes

Was just thinking of these things Duncan. Best chance at racking up some points is to get rounds in for each of the remote quota counter spots. Always happy to have a crack at a quota round with a fellow nlu’er.

It’ll be fun to get into it early this season as I was late to the party this year but had memorable remote quota rounds all the same.

1 Like

Are you still coming down for Alex’s trip next month? You could quota with us on the Monday at MN!

100%

Only question is where I’m staying. Competitive me says I should play my quota round at a familiar course so i can grind, but fun me says hell yeah!

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m ready to jump in. Would be good to meet more if you, and some motivation to get my game into better competitive shape!

1 Like

Hell yeah! I have no clue what to do from here, so tagging @BigtimePolecat to grant access to our Roost thread, and @tniloc for the Golf Genius piece.

Yeah - we do live scoring. Quota rounds are fun when a bunch of strangers are following online and tracking the birdies!

3 Likes

Looks like you guys are already in the Duck Club group, so you should have access to the below thread to see all the details for Season 2, @Banjopete You’re already registered and ready to go, @Bunk, check out the links and get registered on Golf Genius so you can submit your round there for the upcoming season

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/season-championship-season-2/79476

2 Likes

Hey guys!

Ooo we’re down with the Duck Club Roost?? haha

but also, any spots you guys need filled for any of these days? got a day vacation to burn. :slight_smile:

Ooooh one more!?

I’m playing in the roost but am holding out for the separatist roost to take off in alberta. Gotta keep my freedoms in check until then.

I’m a van kid so kind of a foot pointing to mayhem as well. Plus way shorter and cheaper travel west (and better golf? Ducking).

1 Like

Oh i was thinkin of tagging along (if avail) for one of the @alhunter was around.

Tuesday 36 at Kananaskis
Wednesday Stewart Creek

But ya i could consider being Roostable as well! hah!

1 Like

Yep I should have been more clear, I’m coming down to play the LIV Cgy course monday, and the k country 36 tuesday. It would be great to meet another nlu’er.

2 Likes

Hey, @Banjopete and I are booked for 36 at Kananaskis on Tuesday September 27. 9:09 am on Mt. Lorette and 2:51pm on Mt. Kidd. Not sure if there is a third spot at the moment, but definitely check and feel free to book in on one or both those times!

I dont have a tee time at Stewart Creek yet as they dont have accomodations for a single at the moment. But if you want to meet up let me know and I can book whatever is available online for us.

Happy to meet another Nest member!

1 Like

We are booked in as 3 now, thanks for the reminder. I called and updated the time! Leif never got back to me when I emailed… But I get the sense they wont be busy on a Monday in late September, so no harm no foul.

2 Likes

So we played the 36 holes at wolf creek with four of us from Edmonton. Too bad we couldn’t entice the calgary crew but there will be a next time. We had a great time on a beautiful day that started with a frost delay but turned into a hot summer day for the most part.

We played a 2v2 fourball, all square after 18, after @cav007 and I let a 3+ lead after 9 slip away. @southafricancanuck and partner Louw fought well on the back but ran into a few unlikely outcomes and were finally closed out 2+ on the par 3 17th after two up and downs for par beat their two 3 putts for bogey. We finished the fun day with everyone playing spectacular golf on the 18th hole to finish.

Fun courses for both, plenty of challenge and danger, and a few tight holes to really get in your head. Honestly got a little tired of the incessant 200+yd par threes into the wind, including one 240yd (not the tips!) doozy. Course conditions were firm, and the greens were rolling really nicely. The old course was much firmer around the greens thank the links course, and the crowned greens and firm surfaces made for a lot of balls rolling off and resting on the cuffs.

My own shoutout on the par 5 9th hole on the links course I pulled my driver left into the trees off the tee, dropped hitting 3, proceeded to hit a great 4i too far right on the fringe of the trees, punched out sitting 4. I hit a wonderful 8iron from 160yds one hopped and dunked it for a routine par 5 :rofl: to halve the hole. First time dunking and seeing it from this far out, especially fun since Mike and I were dead on the hole with our competitors with birdie dreams and GIR.

Fun times and happy to have made it down there with some good friends for the day.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: Wolf Creek looks awesome. Wish I could have fit it into my trip, but next time for sure. Need to get to Blackhawk in Edmonton too!

Just wanted to let you know I am booked at 11:48 at Stewart Creek as a single on Wednesday Sept 28 in case you wanted to join. Lots of times left.

1 Like

Heads up - 29th is a Thursday, actually. Don’t want you to accidentally miss your tee time!

1 Like

Thanks. Typo! I edited the post. Sept 28 at Stewart Creek

Hey AB golfers. Anyone want to join @Banjopete at Kananaskis on Tuesday September 27. 9:09 am on Mt. Lorette and 2:51pm on Mt. Kidd

I am unable to make my trip due to COVID :cry:
Gutted.

2 Likes