Roll Call: Alabama (Spring Match Play Info - Post #676)

I think Kiva Dunes got beat up but I read this week that the course is back open. Can’t speak to the conditioning post flood. Not sure about others like Craft or Peninsula

Hey guys, I’m looking into a small golf trip to north Alabama early spring to escape the Midwest winters a bit. I stumbled on Goose Pond Colony. I’m trying to do this on as tight of a budget as I can and was drawn in by the pricing on their website. Stay away or is it decent? Also saw Eagles Nest and Gunters Landing to potentially round out the trip.

On another note, my grandparents lived in Daphne for years on Lake Forest Country Club. Absolutely loved that golf course but saw it apparently has fallen on hard times. Went down for a spring break trip when I was in college and it was only $85 for golf with a cart for the whole week since we stayed at my grandparents house and they were members.

How long are you planning to stay. Those courses are good. The rtj courses down the road are also pretty nice.

Not sure about the Good Pond Colony but can ask my buddy who plays north alabama a lot.

a. What do you mean a tight budget? Like how much, how many rounds and over how many days? A lot of people used to come down to play the RTJ trail. If you just stayed in north alabama you have about 4 or 5 sites to play: two in Birmingham, 1 in each of Anniston, Muscle Shoals and then Huntsville. All are quality golf.

Another place to check out is Purcell Farms. They have some places to stay on site but I would just drive up and play it a day and stay in Birmingham and then play the two RTJ courses in Birmingham as they are close to each other.

Tight as in as cheap as humanly possible while also not playing absolute goat tracks. I align much more with the strapped boys than the c suite. Probably 2 nights and 3 or 4 rounds depending on daylight.

Ok fair enough. Ross Bridge and farm links are out as both are 100+ a round. Most of the RTJ trail spots are in the 65ish range with a trail card but there would be driving involved each day. But the spots have 36 holes plus.

You can get some good twilight rates at some spots on the trail too.

I’ll be in Montgomery next week and the weather is looking pretty good right now. Any nine hole courses in the area I could check out after work?

Gateway Park isn’t bad for the price. The greens can be rough with pitch marks but they roll pretty good if it’s been dry. The 5s are short and the 3s are long so it’s kind of a strange course but a good value. Pace isn’t great but if you only want to play 9 you should be ok.

Checking in from Fairhope any lower Alabama golfers in here

1 Like

I’m heading down to Gulf Shores tomorrow. I’ve got a tee time at Kiva and plan to play 1-2 other times. I’ve seen a lot of talk about Peninsula, Craft Farms and Rock Creek, but I was kind of hoping to find more of a Strapped type place for a round. Any decent muni’s in Mobile?

Goose pond is good for the money. I really like both guntersville courses. If you do an rtj course, I would recommend the one at muscle shoals or silver lakes(gadsden) over the hampton cove courses. But if you want to stay in huntsville obviously hampton cove is more convenient. Terri pines in cullman al is a good one as well.

1 Like

Also there are two courses I want to play but havent played them. They are cider ridge in oxford al and horse creek in dora, al. Have heard great things about cider ridge. One person told me they liked horse creek. The photos look good but cant tell for sure.

Azalea City

3 Likes

Glen Lakes in Foley is a great track for a great price. I’m playing there this Saturday

2 Likes

Definitely play Oak Mountain or Frank House. Im a dirt poor college kid and I play both of those regularly. Frank House is $21 a round and that includes a cart (no walking allowed). FH has dead flat greens and uninspiring fairways but the price and cheap beer is great for some practice or fun with buddies. Oak Mountain is arguably the best muni course in the state. Cheapest option is to walk it. As a student I can walk a round for $15.50. Definitely go there if you want bargain golf that still presents a challenge.

Birmingham native and resident checking in here. College student at UAB. I usually play at Oak Mountain or Frank House. Been playing golf on and off since I could walk. Just got back into it back in June. Shot my best round yet this weekend (93). If you see a young guy with a baby blue NLU rope hat, matte pink Titleist Velocity balls, and a green Wilson bag then that’s me.

What are your recommendations for a few courses to play over the course of three days?

Planning a little trip with some buddies in the next few weeks. I go over to the Grand every year for a conference and play at Lakewood while I’m there. One of the clubs I play with has the club championship at Rock Creek every year as well.

Some of the guys are on a stricter budget than others, so I was going to throw Rock Creek in the rotation, but need some more places to hit while we are out there.

1 Like

Quail creek is a good option for a good price I think like $45 with a cart and if you don’t mind a little drive gulf shores golf club is a really fun course to play and you can find good deals on it with golf now for around $50 I think… you also have azalea and magnolia grove in mobile that are both fun

1 Like

Is this thing on? Any of y’all busy in the next 2ish weeks or so?