Richmond, Virginia (RVA)

If you can do the hour trek Golden Horseshoe in Williamsburg is awesome after the round there is a cool brewery/ taco place in Colonial Williamsburg to unwind and enjoy…Independence is a good time usually great shape and super close to keeping you in Richmond. Viniterra was strong initially, but have not been out in a while. It is a little closer than RNK.

DAMN!!! I used to play high school golf out there…

We did Riverfront -> horseshoe (green and gold) -> RNK last year

I really liked gold but really disliked green

so we are thinking
SH9 and birdwood
Independence (it looks wider then viniterra and we have 1 guy who can use the width)
RNK

thank you

Sounds like a great weekend! Independence you can hit the “new” Hardywood Brewery West Creek. https://hardywood.com/location/west-creek/

Either way have a great weekend! I would be curious how RNKs conditions are. Played last year and it was pretty pretty pretty good.

1 Like

I actually went to independence for golf camp growing up lol. If y’all have a spare hour or two the short course way in the back if the property is sick too. Used to be able to play it for $5.

1 Like

$35 on the weekends now

I’d love to get a round with some people in RVA next time I’m in town. A large chunk of my family are scattered across the city. My grandparents house on Birkdale was our summer base when we lived overseas and the spot I’d drive back to while going to VT.

Obviously played Birkdale a lot. It’s fine. Played Brandermill a lot too which is a decent course. My mom lived on Richmond CC for a couple years but she didn’t have a membership to take advantage of. Played all over the city back in my junior golf days. Great place!

1 Like

Evening folks, I am considering playing Magnolia Green or Pendleton next week (would be first time at eithee). Thoughts on course, current condition, etc? I have heard great things on both and want to tee it up on a fun/challenging course in our area (new to me).

Cheers, B

Have only played Magnolia but it is a fun track. Not too challenging off the tee but the greens have a good amount of slope to them. It has been in great shape the times I have played out there.

1 Like

Played Pendleton a couple times, both in the fall. It was in great shape each time with a nice layout. Fun track and worth the drive up from Richmond.

1 Like

Whattttuppppp. Down for a game any weekend.

Anyone looking to play Sunday? A buddy and I are looking around trying to find something now

Cross post from the VA roll call. There is now an RVA WhatsApp

3 Likes

Morning, has anyone played Williamsburg Golf Club before? I have a VSGA One Day Event there next week and looking for some tips or suggestions.

Thanks

1 Like

Evening, all. I’ve finally joined after lurking on and off for years. I’m in Midlothian, long-time First Tee volunteer coach and golf tragic. Always interested in a game when I’m in town.

2 Likes

Welcome. Be sure to jump in that Whatsapp chat above. Folks post openings in upcoming round in the RVA area in there.

2 Likes

Anyone get out to “new” belmont for some loops yet? This rain hasnt helped for re-opening weekend. Looking forward to when I can get out there. Cheers RVAers.

I joined the founder’s club at Belmont. Played two rounds. It’s a great facility and they did an awesome job with the restoration. The short course is a lot of fun. We’re lucky to have it in Richmond and I’d bet it continues to get a lot of national press.

2 Likes

My daughter and I played on Sunday with @Zeke and had a blast. The greens are still growing in a bit, but so much wilder than I remember. I can’t wait for the putting course to open up.

The haters are gonna hate (there’s a FB group that I follow for the schadenfreude), but I’m crazy-excited to play and volunteer there.

2 Likes

An entire FB group won’t let go of the past or wanted the 18 holes left alone or??

I think this facility takes public golf in Richmond to another level with all the great practice facilities First Tee has accessible to everyone

1 Like