Richmond, Virginia (RVA)

I live in Midlothian and play at the Foundry. Would enjoy catching up once life starts to get back to normal.

Played Williamsburg National Golf Club (the Yorktown Course) this weekend for the first time. Highly recommend the course. Both fairways and greens are in great shape. The are power washing the carts between each round. Well worth the drive if you are in Richmond.

Hey there, I happened to just see this post. I’m up in Manassas and played in 2-3 of the VSGA One Day Events last year. I enjoyed each of them. From my experience the majority of the crowd is retirees or guys that can regular get a day off during the work week to meet up with their buddies.

That being said, there are some competitive players as well. They group you by handicap so you’ll play with players similar to your skill set. Everyone I have met during my events was friendly and I enjoyed the tournaments.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

Currently live in Charlotte, NC but went to University of Richmond. Wife’s family also lives in the West End. Visit frequently and would love to play Federal or Foundry at some point. Will repay with rounds in Charlotte.

Feel free to reach out!

Midlothian resident here. Played at Stonehenge the past two years but just ended my membership, so always looking for a game anywhere in the area!

1 Like

Good Morning Richmond folks, I have introduced myself in the Roll Call Virginia thread but this looks a bit a more narrow of the group I would like to get to know better (greater Richmond folks). I live in Midlothian/North Chesterfield and always in for a game anywhere. I typically play at Hunting Hawk (association events) and like to play Viniterra but I will travel. I made this greater Richmond golf map for myself early in March before Covid19 so I thought I would share with yall if interested (somewhat newish to Richmond since Fall 2017).

You should check out Pendleton Golf Course near Lady Smith if you like Viniterra. I see you have it listed on your map.

1 Like

How is that course? I have a voucher for a free round there but have never played.

If you are interested in a golf league on Tuesday nights check out RVA 9. They play mostly at Hunting Hawk. Free to join and you are not required to play every week. It is mostly a social, you keep your own score, no press to play, just for fun.

1 Like

shout out to glenwood…fun little muni with lots of cool history

got some decent sized bass in the ponds too

2 Likes

Sick, do you keep a pocket fishing rod in your golf bag? Actual excellent idea

1 Like

Stonehenge is a fun club to be a member at because it’s very relaxed. The course, itself, is just fine in my opinion. They do a good job keeping it in good shape, but a lot of holes run together as there isn’t much to be had architecturally speaking. Very easy to walk.

1 Like

thats my buddy, but yes he does…hes caught quite a few nice bass off that fold up rod and spinner bait combo

2 Likes

Yep I am on the RVA 9 email list awaiting events. I made it to the drive shack event earlier this year. Good group.

Hunting Hawk Association events are fun tourneys too and good group.

Brave soul venturing over to Glenwood

1 Like

Honestly man, I absolutely loved everything about it.

Drove up from NC early on a Saturday am and met a buddy who came down from NOVA for a round prior to a memorial service for a good buddy of ours in Richmond.

There was a few of old timers hanging around the pro shop shooting the breeze, telling old stories and hanging out. Everyone was super nice and welcoming. Got to hear some awesome stories about the glory days of the course and the incredible history it has.

It clearly wasn’t the best area of town and was far from a country club, but I never felt threatened or in danger and I’m 100% certain I didn’t lock my car while I was out of the course.

I think anyone who plays golf around RVA that hasn’t been out there at least once is doing themselves a real disservice. It’s as muni as muni gets and the type of place that just has soul to it.

I’d stop back by there in a heartbeat if was up that way and looking for a cheap round. The lack of public golf right around Richmond is pretty staggering.

1 Like

I’ve only played it once so don’t have any strong feelings about the course other than the location. There isn’t a lot of land in Richmond to have any golf but plenty of tracks within 30 minutes drive time. You should checkout Dogwood Trace if you make it up this way again.

1 Like

agreed on Glenwood. Only played once and was paired with folks. Its solid muni honestly. I would second dogwood trace too.

1 Like

Dogwood Trace gets the nod for they have a driving range and better conditions. Last time I played Glenwood they had a par 4 shortened to a par 3.

2 Likes

Not locking your car at Glenwood makes sense the same way that not locking it parking downtown makes sense. Just don’t leave anything in there worth stealing and you are fine, plus you have prevented the possible damage from someone breaking in. In all seriousness though, if it is busy, not a big risk of someone in the parking lot, too many eyeballs around.

As for on the course, I personally know two different people who have been mugged while playing. Both on the hole that runs along the chainlink on the far north side of the course. One was relieved of his wallet, the other took a poke at the guys with a club and they took off. This was a few years back, so hopefully it is better now.

2 Likes