Refuge Swim Club

Listen, I know there’s fitness and workout threads where this could go, but I thought having a separate thread for swimming would keep the others from getting cluttered. So…

I’m a chubby gui and can’t knock out a ton of distance quickly, but I love being in the water and think it’s my favorite form of cardio. Running…does not vibe with me.

I’m also a fan of the sport at the college and pro levels. My knowledge is maybe at an average to below average level, but I’m hoping to improve the more I’m able to watch.

That’s enough of an intro for now. Hoping there are some swimmers out there to share this interest with.

5 Likes

Nice thread. Il get amongst. I run a competitive swim club in NZ and have done so for the last nearly ten years now. Happy to chip in with thoughts or advice from time to time.

2 Likes

My kids are competitive swimmers. We are way into the sport at the pro/olympic levels and follow a bunch of swimmers like they are celebrities. Fina World Champs (short course) was in our town a few years ago and my eldest volunteered as a basket carrier they both got to swim in the competition pool while it was setup. Surreal experience for them, as was meeting some of their favs (Katinka being the biggest celeb).

Questions on form or training I can assist with at very basic levels. I’m no coach but have a good idea of “feeling the water”.

1 Like

Safe to assume they’re into the Cody Miller and Michael Andrew vlogs?

1 Like

Cody Miller for sure. My son is a breastroker so thats his guy.

1 Like

This thread is right up my alley. I wish I had a gym closer with a lap pool. It is probably one of the best full body/cardio exercises you can do. Grew up swimming in clubs and in high school, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been in the pool.

1 Like

Nice! where in NZ? my wife’s teammate from college is/was a NZ swimmer

I miss swimming, pool time used to be one of my favourite parts of tri training.

I objectively suck at it though. I have big legs from years of hockey and running, and those fuckers just love to sink and drag.

1 Like

Swimming is the only workout I do. Try to swim a few mornings per week before work.

1 Like

I’m glad I’ve found a way to safely swim during quiet gym hours because it’s so so much more preferable to sweating on dry land to preserve my sanity, haha.

Plus, there aren’t many better feelings than that the full body ache as you lower yourself into the whirlpool post swim

1 Like

Do you guise do different strokes when you swim? I do freestyle almost all the time but I’ve tried mixing in a very questionable breaststroke for something different.

Just freestyle

I’m not a swimmer, but my daughter is. I have decent knowledge of the pro ranks, not so much collegiate. The Pros usually come through Austin for a short course meet in January and so she’s gotten to see Phelp, Lochte, Katinka, etc… in a pool where she’s competed dozens of times. Also met a bunch of big names at summer swim camps at Lousville and IU.

It’s an interesting sport, but as someone who’s followed running for years and bicyle racing a little, I wonder a lot about doping in swimming. It’s another sport where oxygen usage converts directly to medal, dollars and fame.

3 Likes

I miss swimming. Was a lifeguard a long time ago before kids and whatnot. Living in RI, there is nothing better than hitting the Atlantic early am for a swim. Having said that, although I know the workout is real, I feel like I need to hit the pavement and sweat to know the work is happening.

Nice! Swim coach here. I am the head coach for a large club swim team in the DC area coaching swimmers form learn-to-swim up through Olympic Trials qualifiers. I did some triathlons after college and have helped in training a few people who got to a more serious level than me.

All that to say that I spend an inordinate amount of time at pools, but rarely have the time to get IN the water anymore. I would be more than happy to provide some sets or help others with their training and questions they might have. I look forward to checking back in on this thread often.

2 Likes

You shall henceforth be referred to as coach from here on out, coach.

3 Likes

You would be surprised how many people default to that. I don’t make my swimmers call me coach, just by name. Some still insist on calling me coach though even if I request otherwise.

1 Like

Recovering college swimmer, made it to a few big meets in my time, have barely touched the water since but was just trying to steel myself to get back into it. This thread may be my motivator…

1 Like

This thread brings me back to high school. I swam and played water polo in high school and in college played club polo. I only did swim team to stay in shape for polo. But allowed me to be a lifeguard/pool manager throughout high school and college. I also was the assistant swim coach for the high school where I teach. I keep telling myself I need to get back into the pool since there is a gym with an indoor pool that is less than 5 mins from my house. Are there any water polo players out there? I know it’s a niche sport. But I do miss playing. After college, I played with a master’s team in the Baltimora area but we had to move pools and the practice times did not work for me, so I have not played in over 4 years.

Great thread! I swam in college, and it was a great, great experience. I don’t swim much anymore because I’ve enjoyed doing other stuff, like golf, with my time (graduated in ‘18) but I can feel the itch coming back. Will probably get back into it, outdoor pools only though!

1 Like