Refuge Swim Club

Sounds like a golf pro that never has time to play

Second. All in favor?

This. I have plenty of time for the range. Less time for the full round.

Just checking in, coach @TwoTonsOfIrony. Swam a combined mile in two separate visits, which is about my distance limit for a given day at the moment.

Herein lies my first problem I’d seek tips on: I am always starving after any swim. It usually ends with something not great for me and defeats the purpose of the work I put in. What are your favorite snacks post workout that fight off some hunger but don’t undo everything and then some? :joy:

Water. Then more water. If you can make it like 45 minutes, you should be in the clear

[crosses out ‘shake down teens for vending machine money,’ writes down ‘water’ on new line]

2 Likes

One of the great things about being a swimmer is how much you get to eat now. So it’s less about how much you eat (a lot is fine), but more about what you’re eating (everyone has heard this). We do an entire course with our high school aged swimmers on what things to eat and when for this exact reason. Here are some helpful hints:

1. Eat an hour before your swim. Having something in your system while you’re swimming will keep you from getting overly hungry and keeps your body from burning off the wrong stuff (keep the muscle, burn the fat).

2. @Mack is right, you should definitely stay hydrated. This is just a general life lesson that does not relate solely to swimming.

3. Now this is where I have to respectfully disagree with @Mack . DON’T WAIT! Have something in your swim bag to eat within 30 minutes of finishing your workout. Most of my swimmers who finish a 2 hour workout are eating on their way out of the facility. This will help keep you from wanting to gorge later on. This will take some planning. The best thing you can do is bring your post-swim snack with you to the pool. Eat it right after and you won’t feel the need to go get something you’ll regret.

Like I said at the top, what you are eating is really key. Fear not though, I promise not to make this depressing. I’m sure you’ve tried something like a granola bar or apple or something and it does nothing to fill you up. I tell my kids to look for good fats and good sugars along with the usual advice of carbs and protein.

Things you may not think are ‘healthy’ can actually be great post workout. One of my favorites growing up was taking a flour tortilla spreading some peanut butter on it, drizzling just a little honey, and then rolling it up. I loved peanut butter so peanut butter and banana was another go to. Look, I’m not saying it’s the healthiest thing, but it will definitely keep you from stopping by McDonalds on the way home for a Big Mac and it will fill you up with some good fats that you deserve after a swim. Full fat yogurt, fruits, and nuts are pretty good guides. Again, don’t worry about the amount so much as keeping it to the good stuff going in. You’ll fill up quicker than you think.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t mention it in my longer post, but stay away from sodium and salts as much as possible. Which means probably everything in that vending machine.

1 Like

Ah, so that Dairy Queen trip for ice cream was a… not great idea.

Duly noted, though. This is a wonderful start. As always, thank you coach!

I got back into the pool for the first time in about a year yesterday, so this hits close to home. Felt good to be in the pool. Will hopefully be going a few times a week in addition to my time on our bike.

1 Like

This is much better (read, healthier) advice, but if the goal is to lose weight, just make sure it’s nutrient rich, not calorie rich. Unless you start swimming 9K yards a day, in which case, do what I did and eat two chipotle burritos immediately after you get out, and then go right to sleep

1 Like

We routinely will run 8k+ practices a d I definitely have a few swimmers who follow this advice. Seems to work for them

Stumbling over this thread is bringing back so many memories, so thank you.

I stopped swimming competitively at ~14 years old to focus on golf (still not good) and hockey (really not good). Having no idea at the time who I was swimming with…Michael Phelps at NBAC (mom had the foresight to save heat sheets for some 8-10 year olds) and Ricky Berens at SwimMAC (have a pic of us when we were 10 years old). Will still say to this day the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life was swim in a 5k open ocean swim…thinking it was over while running to the finish line just to find out it was just a sandbar and faceplant in front of a crowd is a level of devastation I hope no one experiences.

Last time I was in the water was about 10 years ago and that makes me sad now.

This still my favorite snack. In fact I just ate one while typing this.

2 Likes

Never too late to get back in my guy. Swimming is a lifelong sport.

1 Like

And now I’m looking at masters swimming near me

1 Like

This thread makes me miss my lap pool, which has been closed since the shutdown. I love swimming but I’m the type that needs something to train for. All tri’s cancelled in CA has lead to mostly mindless running and gym days. More soreness and less effective in my opinion. Swimming is the only thing that combines (if you’re doing it right) cardio, resistance, and stretching. Maybe a case could be made for rock climbing. I digress…

Man this thread is making me realize I need to get back in the pool. I used to swim three times a week until this last year.

They also had water polo on Monday nights at my gym, that I’m now wishing I took advantage of. I really need to get active again.