Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

Darn! I forgot. Didn’t get home until a few minutes before and was preoccupied with what had happened at my other meeting last night. Will make it next time, I promise.

Nightcrawling and The Life We Bury both sound very intriguing, down with either.

Ended up taking one of the girls to dance class last night and missed the discussion. Hope it was a good chat. I enjoyed Solito quite a lot and even though I assumed he would meet up with his parents at the end I absolutely did not expect to sob through the last ten pages. What a wild ride.

2 Likes

another vote for Nightcrawling, mainly cause its already in my local Library “Want to Read” queue

1 Like

Would people be annoyed if I unilaterally suggested we go with Nightcrawling?

2 Likes

this is a very discreet display of power

5 Likes

Nah, I think that’s where we are falling anyhow.

Sometimes you just have to call it :smiley:

@Double_Bogey_Dave or @OffTheDole - can you please update to include Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley Date TBD

5 Likes

OK…I was in an interminably boring meeting this morning and got curious, and put the following together. It should have one tab that shows all the books we’ve read (and may I say, it’s a fairly tremendous list!) and the first tab is for folks to put in suggestions. I’ve linked everything to Goodreads since I like that and though it’s owned by Bezos, you can always buy it anywhere. I’d encourage folks to populate the first tab with as many titles as they’d like. I added a few I’d recommended, and others I can remember that others did. The “Previous Books” is probably wrong (I cannot remember when we read Matterhorn as I sat that out, having read it before) so tweaks wherever are fine. Anyone with this link can edit the doc.

5 Likes

We rock!!

2 Likes

Awesome! i added a couple of recent non fiction releases ive been wanting to read in the last year and then two absolute classics that i have been wanting to re-read as it was prob HS when i did and def didnt appreciate them as much as i should…

Gravity’s Rainbow is like a BIG BOOK thou, not sure the RBCs appetite for that, but i see a couple in the past club books so i threw it up there

2 Likes

Ha I just came here to say that you adding Gravity’s Rainbow was a baller move. That might take us a year.

its been on my list to reread for a while, every year i try to read one BIG BOOK (anything north of 500 pages for me)… last year it was The Secret History, which was awesome

Also been wanting to read Infinite Jest but very scared of the vast size of that book, as well as the content from what ive understood. ill conquer it at some point

1 Like

Infinite Jest took me three attempts to get into, and then it became one of my favorite books. That said, every now and again I think of re-reading it and then just laugh off what an insane idea that is. I suspect Gravity’s Rainbow would be at least as tall of a task, but I don’t know much about it aside from how big it is and “weighty” it is.

2 Likes

I might put Moby-Dick on there again because it’s totally worth reading multiple times

5 Likes

You are a bad dude ProfD

5 Likes

@CrucialTaunt I see you suggested Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow. I’m about halfway through and absolutely loving it so far.

Also, I’m new to this thread Book Club thread and I’m looking to take part! Hello gang :wave:

5 Likes

I just finished Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow after waiting months on the library hold list. I wasn’t as crazy about it as some people, but it was a good read.

5 Likes

as the late 90s/early 2000s were my formative video game years i def was very attached to the story very early on, and enjoyed the narrative style taken throughout… agreed, not a 5star read but was one of my favorite books last year.

What’s the typical timing on the Book Club Zoom? Is Nightcrawling a selection that we would review this month? Trying to decide whether to start that now or wait a couple weeks lol

1 Like