Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

Finished Tokyo Ueno Station, probably too early. It was a very quick read and I was thinking about June 1. Looking forward to the discussion, as I read it but didn’t get a whole lot out of it.

2 Likes

I started it, finally, and it is a quick read for sure. I threw it out there since it was nominated for a lot of awards and it’s about a ghost in a Tokyo subway station but that’s not really the best description. Hopefully will be a good discussion but curious …

1 Like

I assume we are not doing the next meeting on June 8th?

I know we threw around June 15th…I’m sorry, I kind of dropped the ball on this!

Is there a date people would like? I haven’t started reading yet but confident I could finish by the 15th

2 Likes

I’ve got the 15th on my calendar, so that still works for me. Probably finishing the book up tonight.

1 Like

Believe the 15th works here as well. A few minutes late should be worse case. Book in hand and 1/2 way through so far. Looking forward to reconnecting w the discussion group….

I haven’t started yet but was planning on the 15th

@OffTheDole or @Double_Bogey_Dave can you lock in the title of the thread for Tokyo Ueno Station by Yū Miri for June 15

I’ll do better with next selection folks!

3 Likes

Done

Boom Club sounds awesome.

2 Likes

I don’t regret the error.

2 Likes

The possibilities are ENDLESS

1 Like

Book comes on Friday just in time for us to go to the lake for the week planning on zooming in from vacation.

1 Like

It’s a very quick read. I think the discussion will be quite interesting even though I’m not sure how much I loved it. Trying to find some good discussion questions…

4 Likes

I don’t know that “enjoy” is the right word, but I thought it was excellent and unusual in a good way. Not subtle but still artful. I’ve also spent time in that park and lived in a (different) rural Japanese prefecture for nearly a year just a few years before the end of the novel, so it might have clicked a little more culturally for me.

4 Likes

Looking forward to chatting with ya’ll tonight (6pm PST)

I think this one will have some split options - I tried to find some discussion questions and couldn’t. Sorry that I super dropped the ball on this! Will be better next book :smiley:

Does anyone have a zoom link we can use? (@mcdonart22 ??). Also, for next book, I have a suggestion arising from a TV club discussion but if others want to bring suggestions, always appreciated!

4 Likes

My son has a lesson with his baseball coach that ends at 8 (cst), so I may be 30 min or so late jumping on, but I’m intrigued at what people have to say about this. I’m kind of interested in translation theory, and a book like this seems to have a lot of things you could say about that

1 Like

On top of this, I am looking forward to comparing with The Makioka Sisters

1 Like

Ryan McDonald is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Refuge Book Club
Time: Jun 15, 2022 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 934 4143 5861
Password: 156930

One tap mobile
+16465588656,93441435861# US (New York)
+13126266799,93441435861# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 934 4143 5861
Password: 156930
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom