Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

I’ll have to check out the book. I just did not like the show. The finale was emotion overload in a good way so I was happy watching it, but overall just did not really “enjoy” the show, knowing full well its not exactly something that will bring joy.

So, this came up last night and as @methridge says, some of us actually ended up liking the show more (which is a rarity). Interesting if you did NOT like the show. I don’t know if it’s something to read if you didn’t like the show, since - while there are massive differences between the two - it’s probably not your jam. That said, it’s a very quick read so if you have the time and are curious, why not?

1 Like

New nest member and came across this thread and would like to join in on the next book. Seems like we are in between books at the moment. Is the Google Sheet at the start of the thread still applicable or is there a signup or anything?

2 Likes

Book club is taking a little break as so many who participate are joining @Prof_D in reading Faulkner’s Absalom Absalom - Feel free to join there!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/refuge-university-absalom-absalom-with-professor-dan/49539?u=sarah

4 Likes

Watching the last group tee off today and they said HV3 is from Gastonia. Nice little nod to “The Last Ballad.” Vaguely remember someone maybe discussing this in the call but couldn’t remember.

In regards to Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel just posted her thoughts on some of the more popular quotes from the book on Goodreads. Some of them are fascinating.

“What is?” “Acting,” she said, and that was when a young woman with a tear-streaked face emerged from the crowd, arms outstretched. The woman barely glanced at Jeevan as she took Kirsten’s hand. Kirsten looked back once over her shoulder and was gone.

Her response:

Emily Mandel

If you’ve watched the Station Eleven TV series, you’ll notice this as the first major point of divergence between the show and the book. In the book, this is the last time Kirsten and Jeevan ever see one another; they’re together for only a few minutes in the theatre and then part ways forever. In the series, they see one another again a few minutes later, outside the theatre, and remain together for the next year of their lives. For the record, I wish I’d thought of this when I was writing the book! I think it’s really good plotting.

2 Likes

Hey y’all, we wrapped up Absalom, Absalom! last night with @Prof_D and it’s time to choose a new book. Who is up?

3 Likes

Any suggestions? I figure we can just kick around some options and something will stick :smiley:

2 Likes

Works for me. I thought there was a list somewhere of whose turn it is.

I just started reading Julian Barnes “Arthur & George” - he’s an author my in-laws love as they’ve given me three of his books, and I’ve never read any of them. About twenty or thirty pages in, and enjoying it thus far.

Other thoughts - Jennifer Egan has released The Candy House - the sequel to A Visit from the Goon Squad. I’m also thinking about reading Pachinko which apparently is now an Apple+ show that folks are digging. It’s been on my “to read” pile for some time.

Finally, if we are going the award winners, Tokyo Ueno Station looks super cool and won (alongside Interior Chinatown) the National Book Award in 2020. The description: “A surreal, devastating story of a homeless ghost who haunts one of Tokyo’s busiest train stations.”

2 Likes

Any objections to an executive decision on Tokyo Ueno Station? Probably early June…

7 Likes

I’m in!

You had me at “haunted ghost.” Really had me at “haunts one of Tokyo’s busiest train stations.”

2 Likes

Just placed the order!

Jumping back in after too long of a hiatus. See y’all in June!

3 Likes

Ordered. Hopefully I can join. Y’all thinking either June 8 or June 15?

2 Likes

Preemptive request for the 15th. My daughter graduates 8th grade on the 8th and it would be pretty awkward to skip that for book club

3 Likes

Done

But what if someone’s kid is graduating from 15th grade on the 15th?!?

3 Likes

2 Likes

I deliberately sailed us past June 1 with my suggestions because I fully intend to be on vacation as hard as one can be on vacation. Since we’re all being honest in here.

3 Likes