Olympic Prolific 2 (Tacoma, WA): 2022, Sept 16-17 - A Playoff To Remember & TC Loves PNW Cuisine

ALWAYS on LowPo, bud.

1 Like

3 Likes

Anyone know what the actual yardage was? This has to be a typo

Especially since Cascade is back at 7159

1 Like

Big difference between lounges being packed and there being an hour+ wait just to get in.

6 Likes

Gotta think they’re tipping it out.

And today……really tipping it out

https://twitter.com/ucdavismgolf/status/1572274612066746370?s=46&t=VEFCMLwnLP74HThVPwzjRQ

7 Likes

Thats the “normal” gold tee. Thats why it’s 470 or so on the card. They just move up the gold tee for normal play :wink:

1 Like

I’ve teed off there for a tournament. Got wrecked.

1 Like

One of the parents just told me it’s playing firm and fast, which you guys probably saw. As of right now there’s 4 people under par in a field of 78.

@Albinobluesheep they adjusted all the rounds on golfstat to show its playing 7159 on the olympic course.

3 Likes

Alright, recs/reflections from the PNW:

On the coffee front, got to BlueBeard on Thursday, Olympia on Friday. Slept in Saturday and did a couple local coffee shops Sunday and Monday.

Friday night we ate at our hotel’s restaurant (ended up staying at the Palladian, which was delightful), and then Saturday we wandered around the market and then went out to Woodinville (did a tasting at CSM as Alex had some industry connections there - great experience with some of their wine club-focused wines + Col Solare. And then we went to W.T. and had pizza/vino at Novelty Hill/Januik), came back to take a nap, then went to Chez Phinney for pre-dinner vino and it was as good as advertised. Then to Canlis for a late dinner. It sounds like the chef there is relatively new and has really made her mark since coming onboard last year, with all sorts of Japanese flavors integrated into each dish. The themes of our experience were very much mushrooms, umami-bombs and Burgundy. The space was as striking as I’ve ever seen, the pianist was en fuego, and we had a great seat to watch dinner service from - some impressive choreography going on and then the views to the city in the background. And Randy would’ve been in heaven with the silhouettes of the trees on property. Had a nightcap in the lounge afterward. All-in it was a 10/10 - would return, and compared to other meals in/around the city it wasn’t outrageous.

Sunday we slept in a bit, went to Le Pichet for breakfast (fantastic rec, thank you!) spent an hour in Metzkers Maps (YES!) and then wandered around on the waterfront before Uber-ing to lunch at Musang. The chef is a friend of a friend (didn’t realize until afterward that it’s been subject to some serious acclaim of late) and it’s a Filipino restaurant and then they do some Hawaiian dishes during brunch, too. Fun drinks, some kalbi ribs, and then a noodle dish that was out of this world. We did a locks boat tour on Sunday afternoon - started in Lake Union and ended downtown. Was fantastic way to see the city from a different angle. Plenty of salmon, too. Then went over to Boat Bar and ate about 50 oysters between the two of us. Cool space with massive windows that open up and then a great steak restaurant next-door you can order from, as well. Had a bottle of Pinot Blanc that was among the best 2 or 3 bottles of wine I’ve had this year. And on the oyster front - the Baywater Sweets from Washington are my new undisputed favorite. Had them at three different meals - can’t get enough. Such a deep cup and gorgeous salinity.

Didn’t make it to Shiro’s (just didn’t have a window for it and Alex wasn’t in a sushi mood, Walrus & Carpenter we were trying to make happen but called and the wait was too long, Percey’s, Museum of Flight, Lobo Hills, Field Bar, and a few others. Plenty to do next time.

I plan on making this trip every year - perfect respite from the heat in Jax and a taste of everything we don’t have in NE Florida. Hanging in Ballard, getting over to Bainbridge, exploring the Olympic Peninsula, and carving out a few days to get to Gamble are all in-order for the next trip.

Thanks to everyone for the recs, to @Ghost_of_Ty_Webb for the gear, to my new engineer buddies @Albinobluesheep @jasonnutter @RegularDraw for the company on Friday, and to @MrVinegar206 and the PNW for everything you do to put this event together - this is the gold standard of Refuge events. Thanks for having me!

We gotta get your airport figured out, though. Gosh that was tough.

39 Likes

Vancouver is better for sushi than Seattle in any event

3 Likes

Fly into Spokane and make a trip to Pullman for Palouse Ridge, then Walla Walla for Wine Valley, then Brewster for Gamble. All 3 are worthy of Crash Course videos, IMO :eyes:

(Or flip that and fly out of Spokane. Spokane has some quite good and very affordable golf, too. We’ve been trying to get the Strapped Boys out there!)

Now we just need to get some of the other NLU gents to join and understand what you and @sundaybag have been preaching about!

5 Likes

:raised_hands:

1 Like

This is the play, BUT The Inn at Gamble Sands is booked solid August 19-20 already, and only a handful of rooms are available the following weekend. So people would need to lock in their reservations early for OP3 IF it takes place in August.

Do you have to stay at Gamble to play?

I vaguely remember having to stay in Brewster last time I was there

You don’t have to, but as someone that stayed at Gamble twice this month, that hotel/resort is freaking incredible. One of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at, with the best putting green I’ve ever hit putts on just outside a sliding glass door (with an INCREDIBLE view as well).

10 Likes

I want to figure out one more course in between Gamble and Wine Valley to break up that drive and do this loop in a 4-5 day trip next year.

5 Likes

Only decent courses between them that I can think of are Moses Pointe and Desert Canyon

My guy, I’m your huckleberry.

1 Like

This has been fun to follow from a distance, love to see how much fun people had. OP1 remains one of my favourite trips of all time. Will be back in the area in September 2023 for a couple of weeks for a wedding, don’t care if it doesn’t line up, I want to play golf with any of you beautiful bastards.

7 Likes

My guy, I’m YOUR huckleberry too.

1 Like