OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Knockout Bracket Looms

God damn these are so good!

1 Like

Those are incredible. It would be an honor winning one and being in someone else’s putting line.

3 Likes

I got the 6&5 victory over @CorneliousPoon today at Springfield CC. Thanks to @PersistentlyOverPar for getting us out. It was an amazing experience.

The course was firm and the greens rolled so nice. I got a hot putter and played a lights out round. Starting birdie eagle, it sets the stage for a great day or a boomerang collapse. I felt super comfortable on those greens and was able to steer it home. Dan hit some great shots and with his lower ball flight, hit some bomb drives; unfortunately a few approaches ran just long and if you have been out there, long is no bueno.

Shout out @ZekeH5 and @wreckhockey for rounding out our group!

10 Likes

Just so we’re all clear, @jack67 is burying the lead. The man shot a comfy -2 on a course that’s about to give Pros and elite Ams a run for their money. I had far from my best stuff but it would have taken a career round to contend with that. Very aspirational stuff!

11 Likes

There was a second match at Springfield CC yesterday as well. I feed it up against @Creags in a group that also included @PersistentlyOverPar and @pjsutherland.

After pulling my first drive well left and not hitting it solid at all, I stated my intention was to have fun playing a tough course and not get Ames’d. Especially having seen Nathan pipe his right down the middle. My second shot into one went long and trying to play the chip shot too delicate led to a comfy double bogey. Which allowed Nathan to be careful with his putting to win the hole and go 1 up.

On the second hole I bounced back with a much better drive and Nathan hooked his which left him in some tough rough. I was able to get on the par five in two and two putt for birdie which was enough to win the hole after the rough snagged Nathan’s second. AS

Third hole, I was able to hit the green, though about 30 feet deep. Nathan while missing the green left himself a much more straight forward up and down from the front. This put the pressure on a down hill three footer that I was able to slide in to draw the hole. AS

I cold topped my three wood on the fourth which forced me to lay up short of the creek with my second. Meanwhile, Nathan hit a great drive down the right side. Unfortunately, he was unable to convert on that drive as his second went long of the green. My third shot landed comfortably on the green allowing me to two putt to win the hole after Nathan’s chip shot ran off the front and down the slope. I’m 1 up

Not to be overlooked on the fourth @pjsutherland absolutely killed the fourth hole with a great drive and then a wedge to kick in distance to a pin nestled on a ridge. Great stuff.

Another decent drive for me and another hook from Nathan off the tee of the fifth. I was able to muscle a three iron out of the rough up to the left side of the green. Nathan’s second caught a limb and went straight down and the rough grabbed his club on the third which kept his ball from reaching the area of the green. Knowing I didn’t have to get up and down for birdie to win the hole I played it safe on my chip shot and then two putted for par and the win. I’m 2 up.

Both competitors went left off the tee of #6 forcing both of us to lay up before the Creek. I gassed mine just a bit and went just long into the rough. Nathan followed, but allowed himself a putt. My chip went a bit long, but allowed for an uphill putt for bogey. Nathan’s putt however mirrored my third shot, just too much gas and it ran into the rough in the front of the green. Opting to putt from there Nathan’s run at bogey popped way into the air leaving him with a tricky putt for double to tie the hole which he missed. I’m 3 up.

Two solid long irons off the tee of the 7th set up another wedge contest for our competitors. Nathan’s wedge had the right distance, but missed the green just to the left. I learned from my mistake on 6 and left my wedge on the green, but about 30 feet short. Nathan was unable to get up and down which left me a two footer for par to win the hole which I failed to hit with conviction and missed. A tied hole. I remain 3up.

Again, two solid long irons off the tee of 8 put us both in position to attack the green. Unfortunately for Nathan he caught his wedge a bit thin which airmailed the perched green. This allowed for me to simply hit the green and two putt for the win here. I’m 4 up.

The downhill 9th par three is such a fun hole. So much so that I apparently wanted to see a lot of it. Nathan and I both missed the green. Myself in a front bunker and Nathan off to the right. I was unable to get my first recovery shot fully out and Nathan was able to play a solid chip shot onto the green. My further making a mess of it allowed for Nathan’s two putt bogey to win the hole. I’m 3up at the turn.

The back nine began with two decent drives. Nathan’s second hit the green which put some pressure on me from the rough. This time, it was my turn to airmail the green with a thinned wedge. I went back and forth over the green three times. Allowing Nathan to comfortably win the hole with his solid play. I’m 2 up and beginning to get nervous.

On 11 Nathan’s hook driver made itself known again, but this time I pushed my tee ball off to the right. I was lucky to have a window and I’m not totally sure what happened with Nathan’s shot other than it wound up long. Nathan was unable to get up and down which allowed me to two putt for par and the win. I’m 3 up.

Twelve is a par 5 with OB all down the left hand side. Which could be why I pushed my drive way out to the right again, but is for sure why Nathan took a long iron off the tee fearing another hooked driver OB. I was lucky enough to have a window again which allowed me to cut a three wood out of the rough just over the back of the green. Nathan pushed his second shot out to the right and into the rough. His third went a bit long of the pin and mine ran off the front. Two more shots from each of us saw us tie the hole. I’m 3 up.

On the par three 13th if we got another lesson in being below the hole is the place to be after I chucked my tee shot and Nathan thinned his again. I knocked my chip shot just long into the rough behind the hole while Nathan tried to be too delicate and left his first chip short of the green. I was able to chip my third shot to about 8 feet and I made the down hiller for bogey to win the hole after Nathan’s third shot ran well past the pin and down toward the front. I’m 4 up.

I love the 14th hole. It seems so straightforward, but you really have to be in position and hit the green with your second if you want to score. I hit a bomb of a drive off the tee here and almost ran out of fairway. Nathan’s hook made itself known again, but he found a window and was able to hit the green with his second. Being right in front of the green allowed me the perfect angle to chip up and use the slopes to slow the ball and keep it on the green. Nathan’s first putt came up a bit short and my first putt left me about two feet. Knowing he needed to make it Nathan have his par putt everything he could, but it just slipped by allowing me to clean up my par and win the match 5&4.

All in all this match was closer than it appeared in my opinion. I got lucky with a couple open looks when my drives went a bit wayward and Nathan clearly did not have his best stuff. I could tell when he did have his best stuff it would have been a much tougher match up and I might not have survived. It was great playing with all three of the guys: @Creags, @pjsutherland, and @PersistentlyOverPar. Super huge thanks to Chad for getting us out to allow us the chance to battle SCC during US Open qualifying conditions.

9 Likes

Kudos to @golf4miami though, he kept it between the mustard and the mayo most of the day and allowed me to self-immolate, just a great match play round by him.

Also hard to overstate how good that -2 by @jack67 was. That was one of the most difficult courses/conditions I’ve ever played. I think you’ll see some big time ejections Monday at the qualifier.

Also shoutout to @PersistentlyOverPar for hosting, Springfield is always a treat, even when it’s kicking your face in for 4 hours.

13 Likes

With the way you’ve been playing this is even more impressive. Sounds like you boys are both playing really well this year. Would’ve liked to see this match of some of the best ball strikers in OATW.

3 Likes

A match between myself and @Tigerific90 is scheduled for this Friday at Green Hills Golf Course in Clyde, Ohio.

4 Likes

@smithburger and I are facing off at Windy Knoll in Springfield on Sunday morning.

1 open spot - let me know if you wanna join

4 Likes

@skibum232 and I are all set at Manakiki on the 17th. Winner will try to get a match scheduled with @jack67 quickly to try to make up the time

6 Likes

We changed the time to 4:03 pm and the other two spots are still open. Twilight $31 riding.

2 Likes

Spot open at Winton Woods Mill for 9 holes tomorrow (Tue) early evening, if anyone is interested DM me.

1 Like

Need a marker for the match?

1 Like

I should also say, its just the two of us now. If anyone from the Cleveland or Toledo area want to come out and take a lap around Green Hills, there’s room.

2 Likes

We’re good as 2. Playing quite early and trying to run around there

3 Likes

Woohoo, look what just arrived. Have to get on the road in about an hour for my Match this afternoon.

New Stealth HD driver, replacing a 2014 Aeroburner driver.

• Open it up, grip it and rip it.
  • Leave the box at home.

0 voters

1 Like

These are both made up places.

4 Likes

Surprisingly enough I know people who have played it and have assured me that its in fact a real course. And nearly perfectly between my opponent and myself. No brainer.

4 Likes

It is in fact real. Opened/operated by the same people that run Woussickett nearby. I have played it once but don’t remember much from it.

4 Likes

Alright. Sounding the alarm on the following matches to make sure we are making progress on scheduling:

@Albatrossity and @RyanNas

@Collya and @pjsutherland

@UncleDrew and @cussingmussel

@JoshInCLE and @MDM

I think every other match that’s still hanging I’ve seen a post about saying they have it scheduled. If I missed you guys saying that in here, I apologize. Just trying to make sure we keep the bracket moving.

1 Like