NLU Texas Cup (Formerly Bucc-ees Cup) Pine Dunes June 5/6 2021

Yeah, same in all sports. The afore-mentioned Jeff Ontiveros (career HR leader for the Longhorns) played at Round Rock when I was in high school. He hit a homer off us during the westlake tournament in '97 (I was catching, I had a GREAT view) that hit a BUS in the fucking eanes ISD bus depot, which is like 17 miles away beyond left field. They’re just different talents, and damn they were fun to watch.

2 Likes

Josh Beckett’s senior year was something to behold. We faced him twice during district. If you made contact with those minus 5 Z-Cores we still used then, the ball was gonna move. But it was basically guaranteed to have 10+ strikeouts, a couple well hit extra base hits, a couple walks and hit batters, a LOT of alpha shit talk and peacocking on the mound, and about 20 pro scouts in the stands. A damn spectacle.

1 Like

I was the skinny white kid getting dunked on from Julius Randle in a basketball tournament.

7 Likes

At least Josh knew where the ball was going. I heard stories from the seniors when I was a freshman of them facing his older brother who threw just as hard, and had NO CLUE. How’d you like 94 in your back? Lol.

That spring team came to the Westlake tournament in '98 so I went to watch (I graduated '97). Westwood dodged beckett, but I went back to watch him pitch. Not many guys in high school make the ball sizzle through the air. He was other-worldly.

Hahaha just remembered another story. Either '93 or '94, the Miami Hurricanes played at UT for their regional. They came to Westwood to practice. Watching Pat Burrell take BP on my field was an experience.

1 Like

Yeah, by that point he had pretty good control. But it would get loose juuuuust enough. He still squared a couple guys up between the shoulder blades. We had some serious athletes on that team too, including a future NFL backup QB and a future MLB infielder and there was no question who was in charge.

1 Like

Burrell was a mad man at that regional.

2 Likes

Grossest bruise I ever saw was a dude that got nailed right in the middle of his back by our major-league-scouted-prospect during practice, JUST off his spine. He had a perfectly white circle where the ball actually hit, and then a large dinner plate sized bruise radiating out in various shades of black, purple, and green.

1 Like

Truth. Of course, he was a mad man all the time.

I faced Clayton Kershaw 1000 times in HS summer ball, and saw Adrian Peterson play football in HS. I would have to say I have never seen another human move like that in person. Also, my brother in law grew up with Mahomes, but he wasn’t the guy you see on TV now but still good.

3 Likes

I was one of the bat boys for Texas a couple of games during that regional. Heard some colorful language out of Coach Gustafson in reference to Burrell.

1 Like

She is always there, and they will swoop down in a hurry if you are near their nest lol.

As an Aggie, I agree that Speith transcends college affiliation.

4 Likes

Agreed.

So who has the best Spieth gear to throw into the raffle?

Great memories.

Notre Dame has the largest outdoor 5v5 basketball tournament in the spring. Football players love to play.

As we got deep into the tournament, we ran up against John Carlson’s team. Up at half with a major upset brewing, until all of Carlson’s 6’5" 250 frame lept from the free throw line to dunk over me.

I’d take a charge every single day but that one.

Bad news: We then lost.
Good news: I didn’t have to go to an Indiana Emergency Room.

Please tell me there’s a video

Not many people might know Mike Mitchell other than @SpiethGotMono, but I was essentially his tackling dummy as a freshman and sophomore.

1 Like

One of my fav pickup game memories from the mid-2000s era was a time when VY, Roy Williams, and BJ Johnson ran through everyone in 3-on-3 at Gregory Gym on campus.

My non-athletic buddy who went all of 5’8” 150 had to guard VY.

At one point Roy threw down a dunk and in a single motion pulled his legs up and slammed both feet against the backboard as he hung upside down. I was really hoping Mack walked into the gym at that moment.

tOSU to Tech to Southeastern is tough.

1 Like

I’ve seen Manziel, Mike Evans, and Myles Garrett all do some crazy shit hooping at the A&M rec center. Fucking sucked when the football players showed up wanting to hoop.

3 Likes