NLU Texas Cup (Formerly Bucc-ees Cup) Pine Dunes June 5/6 2021

My plan is to unite Team Atx/San Antone–along with all Texans–with the shared distaste
(hatred? jealousy? admiration?)
for my alma mater.

5 Likes

Swoopes there it is!

Indifference

1 Like

Sorry everyone who is taking shots from me at the moment the Spieth round hurt the soul

1 Like

Spieth literally unites all schools, beloved by aggies, sooners, longhorns, red raiders…

4 Likes

What’s it like constantly hearing, “Yeah, but they don’t play anybody?”

I’m even older than @jmg … Jordy Mitchell was two years behind me in high school. That was a kid that completely changed from sophomore year to junior year - he was always a good enough player, but he RAKED as an upperclassman. I did coach Estevan Uriegas when he was in high school a few years later, too (I coached the summer ball team as an alumni for a bit). Dude was like 5’6" 135 as a senior, and was easily my best player (hitter and pitcher). I was STOKED to see him get a D1 offer, and actually get some PT. Super nice kid, super nice family (his dad was my doctor for a hot minute until I moved way south in Austin).

We played our final playoff game at Kyle field my junior year. Nicest field I’ve ever set foot on (nicer than the Disch, I don’t care).

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I am NOT older than @jmg, he’s all of 2.5 months older than I am. But he wears it well.

2 Likes

Westwood, sucks wood! Sorry, had to do it.

Not original and not interested. They are functionally in ACC now.

2022-23 is at Ohio State, Clemson, at USC plus more. I don’t see other teams scheduling similarly out of conference.

The better knock is the big game one. Hard to beat Clemson twice in the same year and generally hard to beat Alabama when they win the national title. :man_shrugging:t3:

Pretty sure Saban is a great coach/cheater. But now I just sound like a :sob:

1 Like

Only a RR Dragon can talk any shit. Esp in baseball, we beat everyone else on the regular. Fucking dragons, tho … I grew up playing with Ontiveros, Langerhans, etc. I’d bet Ryan Langerhans maybe lost 25 baseball games in his entire life, starting with tee-ball.

Went to Westlake, Houston Street was def the best player on the diamond that I remember, unreal arm.

Haha Esty was a Freshman the year I was there. Great guy. Super competitive! I think you mean Olsen? The football field is Kyle Field. If a misread your message sorry!

Huston was an 01 or 02 grad right? I’m pretty sure I hit off him my senior year at a non-district tourney at Blinn.

1 Like

Nope, I meant Olsen. Long day :slight_smile:

1 Like

2001, also set the record for most tackles in a state title game as a safety when Cedric Benson ran all over our ass.

1 Like

If I recall, Street said Cedric Benson was the best athlete he’d ever seen and that it never hurt so much to tackle someone. RIP Cedric.

2 Likes

Came to a golf board to (checks notes) engage in college football smack talk.

2 Likes

Love the hawk. Pretty sure this guy’s cousin nabbed my bantam rooster in my backyard in 2019.

Though fair play, he was a pain in the ass.

4 Likes

My buddy who played as fairly skinny DT for Westlake during this time had a video of them playing I think Waco H.S. and a young and not yet filled out Derrick Johnson just absolutely trucking people at warp speed. Those early aught UT teams had so much athletic talent, and if you grew up in any of the major TX cities, especially in a 5A district, you definitely saw a handful of those guys absolutely dominate skinny regular kids like the rest of us.

2 Likes