NLU Peloton Thread - New Years Resolutions

Did my first live ride today for my 100th!

Got through the first 80 rides quickly in preparation for my wedding last year. Let’s just say the 15 months since have been notgreatbob.gif

7 Likes

So, I’ve skipped to the bottom of the page, but interested to hear folks thoughts on Peloton.

I’ve always preferred cycling to running, so am constantly tempted, and maybe I just need to bite the bullet.

Pros, cons etc etc.

I love it - I don’t use it enough in the summer (rather be out walking a golf course), but it’s great in the fall, spring, and winter. I used to run, but running hurt my knees (and I HATE the treadmill - I used to run on an indoor track at my gym in the winter), so I dove in and got the bike back in Jan 2020. the monthly payment + subscription is less than we were paying for our family membership at our local gym, and really have found the other non-bike parts of the app good as well (yoga, stretching, strength training, etc…).

I love that I don’t need to worry about getting to the gym early enough to sign up for the spin class in time to get a seat in the class - and esp now since I work from home all the time, it’s great to just get up, hop on the bike before doing anything else (well, not in the summer so much) and get a workout in.

3 Likes

Yeah I had like zero experience/interest in spin until we got out bike and now I love it.

I’ll echo what @ChickPhilA said about the other content that is available on the platform as well. I take more strength classes then cycling classes… it’s really been my only form of exercise for over two years now and I’m still not tired of it.

2 Likes

What’s the plan? 2/3/4 times a week. Some tests built in?

It looks funky to just set up a 30 minute class or something and just ride for a bit

I typically try to workout Monday through Wednesday, take a rest day and then workout Friday and Saturday with Sunday off. I don’t really plan anything out in terms of a schedule. I just figure it out whenever I log on based on how much time I have and how I’m feeling that day. I have definitely gotten a lot more out of it since I got the actual bike. The leaderboard definitely pushes me further than just working out on my own. I’ve been doing spin workouts for 7 or 8 years now though, so I’ve got a decent bit of experience pre-peloton. If you have any general spin related questions, shoot them over!

1 Like

Also

Bike vs Bike+….

Get the bike and buy a swivel mount for $50 off Amazon.

1 Like

If you do this it will probably void your warranty just an FYI

Either way I’d get the bike… I’ve never really had a need to swivel the monitor but I guess that depends on your setup

2 Likes

Could always put the other bracket back on if there is a problem with your bike, right?

I use the swivel quite a bit - yoga, abs, weight training – I was against the swivel when we purchased but my wife wanted it. I probably use the swivel more than she does.

We got our Bike in January and love it. We’ve referred a couple friends to it as well. We had high expectations for what the bike and then the membership costs, but we’ve been blown away. The bike itself is a great piece of equipment. The classes are great and the instructors / overall product is really good. There’s more classes we take outside of just the bike. My wife is into the bike bootcamp and yoga. I do the strength classes along with my rides. You really get a lot out of it, but like anything you’ve gotta use it.

Checking in - Happy Friday!

1 Like

Been all in on Ben Alldis lately. He himself can be a little bland at times but I think the structure of his classes is the best out there and he does a lot of A1 playlists. Hit PRs with him multiple times now.

2 Likes

Ben is epic

1 Like

There are a lot of structured programs, both for beginners but also with some focus on specific things, etc. It depends for everyone but I try and ride at least four times a week, and mix it up between Power Zone rides and then just rides with music and/or instructors I like.

As far as Bike Vs Bike+, I’d always just choose the newer technology- I have the original bike and it’s great but swiveling the screen would be nice. (I have the third party swivel but have yet to install it, so I guess I don’t care that much!)

Ben is bland city, loves to reference that time he was deejaying in Ibiza……

1 Like

Tap the top corner of that smaller screen Plenty of times until the Sensor Calibration screen appears. And, then Tap “Get Started.” A screen will appear telling you to “Turn the resistance know all the way to the left, then press calibrate simply.” Turn the knob as instructed, then tap the red “calibrate” button on the screen as well.

Interesting

As an alternate opinion, I have a Schwinn IC6 + streaming membership. I use an app to get peloton equivalent resistance, cadence and power displayed on my phone and then stream peloton classes on a TV in the room. I think it creates 90+% of the peloton experience at a way lower cost. I have ridden my sisters peloton numerous times so I am familiar with the real peloton experience.