NLU Ladies

GeauGolf present and accounted for:

Portland Oregon. :+1:

1 Like

This might get my wife to sign up here. That would be sick!

Welcome from a PA native ( who now lives in south jersey)! Thankfully has been kinda mild (or sunny) here and have gotten out a bunch in nov, dec. if it’s above freezing, at least some sun and not crazy windy I’m out (as long as the course is open).

Lots of goos golf between philly and your area, would def be down for a golf meetup.

Also totally down for a mixed tourney!!

2 Likes

Last Friday night, I went to the 5 Iron golf in Manhattan with a few local Refugees.

We (and a handful of other guys) shared the space with a women’s-only golf meet-up. (https://www.gruetergolf.com/) The event at 5i skewed young (20s - early 30s).

I have not taken a deep dive into their mission or content, but I am curious whether anyone here has gone to one of their events? There were a lot of blue chip sponsors involved (Wilson, Adidas, to name a few), so it seems to have no shortage of support from traditional sources.

I don’t know how the two are related, but I know the gals that started Grueter are close with @abbylieb. She may be inclined to share some insight on their impact and how it is either related or adjacent to her Fore The Ladies program.

Cool to see so many of these events all over the country.

I’m admittedly over the map when it come to single-sex groups.I belonged to a fraternity, which was all male, and yet I’m not generally fond of all-male golf clubs.

However, in this case I think it is a good idea to have a women-only event because, so much of the golf space is devoted to men already and I can see how it is intimidating for women new to golf to get involved. Honestly, my reaction when I walked into 5i and the approximately 100-150 women in it, all roughly around my age, was “whoa.”

8 Likes

FTFY

4 Likes

That sounds more like a moment of opportunity than a moment of shock

That’s what the ZF is for. I don’t want this to go off the rails.

1 Like

It would be hilarious if this was the only thread to not go off the rails

7 Likes

Just don’t tell a certain guy from Denver about it, he’ll start some nonsense about affirmative action or some such nonsense.

I’m psyched to see so many ladies here on The Refuge. I wish my wife would take up golf, but she is also quite supportive of me going and playing with my buddies and on golf trips, etc. I’m trying to get my 11-year old daughter to start playing and she’s more excited about it.

2 Likes

Hey all! Yes, Grueter Golf is a fantastic group dedicated to getting more women on the course! They were featured on Callaway’s podcast, which you can also watch here: https://youtu.be/FuK8cmYOK1Q

I run Fore the Ladies golf clinics for women - which I hope will welcome more young professional women to the game in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. It can be intimidating!

17 Likes

This thread not going off the rails is the most significant evidence I’ve seen that women need to take over the world for awhile. Men have had a run of a few thousand years. It hasn’t gone the best. Some good, a lot very bad. I hereby cede all political and social power to women.

I’m hopeful this will result in better healthcare and fewer superhero movies.

8 Likes

This post just set off alarm bells in Denver…

2 Likes

His bat signal is a MAGA hat flipping off a parent who is being too nice to their children.

This makes me want to troll him till he hires Patrick Reed’s lawyer… but I won’t, because white guy victimhood is part of the thing.

NLU ladies in the Mid-Atlantic: did you play this weekend in the balmy weather? I played both Saturday and Sunday. My friend and I were the only women on the course on Sunday, only one other female twosome on Saturday (they’re the best players in our club). Hoping to play again this week before the temperatures go back to normal.

2 Likes

Love seeing these events all around the country! It’s so intimidating to start playing such a difficult game, and it’s hard to know where to even start. These events are a great first step!

1 Like

Played Saturday with 2 other ladies from our club plus my husband and our visiting friend (my husband’s best friend from growing up) so a 3/2 mixed fivesome. Was great to play sans coat or quarter zip in January in NJ.

I overdid it though as I was sick all week leading up to it and woke up feeling like crap yesterday so took the day off from golf yesterday to rest up more.

Next two weekends look like snow/rain soooooo boo.

2 Likes

Kathy Sipes (my wife) says hello!

1 Like