NLU Content Idea? (+ Favorite College Town GC's)

Is this starting soon? Haven’t been back to campus for a couple season and was thinking of doing a 27 hole day some point this summer.

1 Like

" 2024 Golf Season - The Burke Golf Course is under renovation

“The Burke will be reconfigured, but remain a 9-hole course. When completed late this summer, it will feature four par-3 and five par-4 holes. Construction progress this winter and spring followed by the summer growing season will all guide the greenskeepers in determining when the course is ready for play” - Doug Marsh

In season, Burke Golf Course is open to students, faculty/staff of Notre Dame, St. Mary’s, and Holy Cross, as well as to the general public. A valid student or faculty/staff I.D. is required for reduced rates."

3 Likes

Well, good to know. Looks like I should aim for late August, not June.

1 Like

I was hoping to play it this year…but that may have to wait until the fall at this point.

Sounds like it’s going to an executive length Par 32.

1 Like

It wouldn’t have to be the entire crew for all of them either. Different people could join for a different weekend throughout the fall. Jordan(or anyone) could be the one constant…or hell…different people at different courses each week.

1 Like

I used to beat this course up with the $60 semester student pass. My wife and I are going back for our 10th wedding anniversary and I was bummed to see the project plan. The Warren course is nice but I have so many more memories of the Burke course.

Other university course highlights are the University of Florida course and the nine hole University of New Mexico North course. The UF course is an old par 70 Donald Ross with a lot of elevation change and a good mix of tough and fun holes. We probably missed our opportunity for the NLU to swing through Albuquerque but UNM North is a delightful stroll surrounded by a popular walking/running path.

3 Likes

This has been suggested a few times and did seem like a logical step from Strapped. But like others have mentioned, it seems the NLU mission is drifting away from traveling and making travel series type videos. Would be a really cool series for someone to do and I’m sure plenty of sponsors would be interested, but I don’t expect it to come from NLU.

2 Likes

Come on tdogg!

@RolandOfGilead It’s wild to see what’s going on with campus right now. New dorms, the museum over by Eddy St., the soon to be started Football Ops Building. It’s unrecognizable in many ways from when I was there in the 2010 area…let alone my mom in the 80s or my grandpa in the 40s.

5 Likes

That’s the spot. Met up with a dude from Indy to trade beers and that’s where he suggested. It was so damn cool, and the beer selection was insane. Granted, this was like 7 years ago. We haven’t been back to Muncie because it’s just a hair farther than we like to drive just for a little day trip, but I do someday want to get back to that place.

2 Likes

I believe all 3 of us were at ND around the same time… it’s incredible how much it has changed…

But as to not derail this thread, I’ll bring it back to topic, I think it has been suggested a few times in the past but glad a thread was started.

I personally love playing university courses when I can and thought it’d be a great series. Doesn’t have to be as in-depth as the Stanford: AWITL video but showing the course, campus and possibly a golf team highlight would be good to see.

3 Likes

The dreaded ‘pivot away from video’

2 Likes

This is a banger of a trip. Old Town is clearly the star of the show, but there is some variety between Finley, Duke and Lonnie Poole. I still have no clue of why Lonnie Poole has bent grass greens in that climate so it’s painfully soft in the warmer months. Hurts me to say this, but I want to see the renovation at Finley that got done recently by DLIII.

3 Likes

Trust me, I’d love to see it. I think I first brought it up after TS:Scotland and seeing the Big guy loving life walking around St. Andrews. But like I said, I just don’t think that’s in their life or business plans anymore. Might just have to be something the Refuge does itself.

2 Likes

I am here for this. Plan all my Georgia Southern football travels around what golf courses to play the day prior. Make a full weekend trip of Golf/football/exploring

2 Likes

NLU: Refuge Splinter Cell forming…

2 Likes

Was curious to what course USC-Aiken calls home…and it’s Palmetto…must be nice

1 Like

Randy and Neil wandering around Notre Dame asking professors what they can tell them about St. Rappeo and trying to research him in the Hesburgh library would be must see YT.

7 Likes

I’ve never played it but how we have this many posts without Karsten creek being mentioned seems off.

ASU at their old course pre Papago move, ASU Karsten, was one of my most memorable college courses played and mainly for bad reasons. Horrible plot of land and a peak goofy dye design.

2 Likes

don’t forget the Chalk Mine!

1 Like

The Heorot Rules (or did 10+ years ago when I went to Ball State)

3 Likes