NLU Content Idea? (+ Favorite College Town GC's)

On the latest Trap Draw:Chop Session with @Randy and @Tron they discussed taking a boat to watch this year’s Miami(OH) @ Northwestern game. This topic got my brain firing about a possible content idea for NLU.

We need to put the “U” back in NLU.

I can’t decide if this is more “Strapped” or “Tourist Sauce” adjacent, but it might cut a line between them. The NLU team could follow the Miami(OH) RedHawks on their road trips this year and play the campus course of each opponent and local municipal courses. It would also give the NLU crew a chance to explore some great campus towns during the fall.

Below are the RedHawks road trips this year:

@ Northwestern
@ Notre Dame
@ Toledo
@ Eastern Michigan
@ Ball St.
@ Bowling Green

I humbly submit my NLU: Back to School (working title) idea to the court.
@Soly @Tron @MerchCzar @Randy @djpie

Bonus: If you end up coming to the Notre Dame game and need tickets, let me know. We have season tickets and I can get extra seats as well.

18 Likes

For larger conversation:

What are everyone’s favorite college golf courses and favorite college town courses in general?

4 Likes

This is a great idea. I’d co-sponsor that bill.

1 Like

@ Eastern Michigan

Submitting myself as sherpa for this leg.

I’ve already set the itinerary… too late to back out now!

1 Like

Get @mearley44 a cameo as a Miami and Notre Dame grad as well.

1 Like

Biased but the Rawls Course at Texas Tech is my favorite.

4 Likes

The boys literally say all the time their travel is decreasing and becoming less frequent. Good idea but no chance they’d be gone that many weekends.

2 Likes

Course at Sewanee at University of the South has to be in the top 3.

7 Likes

Ok so:

1. @ Northwestern: easy, as Canal Shores is re-opening this year.

2. @ Notre Dame: Warren is obvious, but Burke should be played as well, since it’s getting another little redo to accommodate more campus construction. It’s stupid how cheap and easy acces that place is for ND students.

3. @ Toledo: I have no Toledo opinions, golf or otherwise.

4. @ Eastern Michigan: Use it as an excuse to play U of M

5. @ Ball St: Muncie is a totally fucking depressing town. Do not recommend. (I’m sorry to any residents.)

6. @ Bowling Green: Confirmed that their I-75/football stadium adjacent on campus course is now a full time cross country venue, RIP.

3 Likes

Favorite campus courses I’ve played:

Culver - 9 hole L&M and super is doing dynamite job restoring
Sewanee - so overshadowed by Sweetens but the views are elite
Purdue Ackerman-Allen - so much more enjoyable than Kampen, felt like I was challenged but not getting my teeth kicked in constantly

Others I have opinion on:

U Ridge (Madison) - solid overall, but RTJ went a little deep in his bag with some of those holes (s/o tree in middle of 16 approach shot)
Kampen - see above
Warren (ND) - wanted to like it more than I did, but the heather within feet of the fairway of some holes really seemed to go against the CC ethos.
Stone Creek (Illinois) - fine for a housing dev course
Scarlet - just waiting for Jack to die for the restoration to commence
Finkbine (Iowa) - sneaky OK? Doesn’t wow you, but well maintained and more land movement than you’d expect for east central Iowa

7 Likes

Sending this to the Muncie Chamber of Commerce.

Bowling Green can now be a speed golf round to end the season.

1 Like

Did a quick check and sounds like BGSU plays Stone Ridge Golf Club now

Wrong. There is a Viking bar that does Viking theater upstairs, and there’s an incredible dumpling place in the back of an Asian grocery store

2 Likes

They hadn’t been using this for the golf team for quite a while anyway. It was a bad course that cost a crazy amount to play for what it was. I think they play out of Stone Ridge now, which is perfectly fine course

1 Like

Stone Ridge for some BGSU events but a majority of their play/practice is at Belmont in Perrysburg/Rossford area

2 Likes

UNC Finley, Duke GC, Lonnie Poole (NC State), then head to Winston Salem and play Old Town

3 Likes

The Heorot…oh what great memories. Pretty sure my name is still on the bar somewhere back when they did their 100 different beers challenge.

2 Likes

Feel like you gotta find a way to work “The U” into the title somehow.

With that said I wouldn’t limit it to Miami and its opponents. I would do more of a Crash Course: The U, just picking cool college courses and towns.

2 Likes

For sure. Definitely a lot of spin-offs or places you could go with this idea. You could also do a different conference every year as well.

Could be a cool thing for Jordan to lead. She seems to be pretty locked in on the college/amateur golf scene.

3 Likes