New Here - Introductions Thread

What do you think Ayn would have thought about (a) iron covers, and (b) whether hot dogs and hamburgers are sandwiches?

1 Like

Welcome to the Refuge, it’s golf and golf adjacent board that’s best described as a mix of the Wild West, an Upper West side cocktail party, an organic farm, history class, and punk show in an abandoned warehouse.

There is a search function that we all encourage you to use, whatever you’re thinking of posting about probably already has a thread. Definitely read the majority of the thread, feel free to respond to old posts, it fun to stir things up.

If you have hot takes, that’s great, share them but be prepared to defend them and when you are wrong admit it and move on.

No racism, sexism, homophobia, ad hominem attacks, doxxing or just bad behavior in general.

There are traditions, for example if you wish to sell something on our marketplace, the Silk Road make sure you follow the rules of naming your clubs, telling a bit about them, show some rug, and your favorite pet (or someone else’s).

So welcome, have fun, and also free to reach out if you have any questions.

1 Like

Haha I’m sure she would have written a tremendous monologue about it - perhaps she snuck it into Atlas Shrugged.

I also appreciated you posting that Reason article about not voting. Voting none of the above is a perfectly reasonable choice.

1 Like

Wait, I was supposed to introduce myself first? I thought this was the internet?

New guy on the board. I hail from the home NLU’s beloved Max Homa. Looking forward to meeting other golf nerds. And for the other on here from Valencia maybe we can meet up and talk about the glory days of good old Vista Valencia!

1 Like

Welcome and completely agree, in my totally biased opinion, on Hooper.
Tom Doak claimed Hooper is the 2nd best (after Whitinsville) 9 hole course in America.

3 Likes

Hey @KeithCapstick I just joined and came across your post when I was scouring the the threads for Canadian mentions. Funny enough my main course if Shelburne GC since I live in the Orangeville area. Pumped to see other NLU fans playing there as well! Im looking to get a membership for 2021, do you or anyone you play with have one? How do you like the course?

2 Likes

Hi all, Prez from Australia here. Long time fan of NLU and just joined the refuge. Looking forward to reading through the forum and contributing - going to be great.

3 Likes

You two picked a helluva day to make an entrance.

First learned of The Refuge when a Meetup was playing Brough Creek National the same day I was at Someguysbackyard. This pandemic has rekindled my golf obsession and can only assume this board will inundate my free time through a Kansas City winter. I haven’t been active on a message board since Nebraska was good at football but I’ll give it my best.

3 Likes

Hey dude,

Sorry I’ haven’t been checking as much.

I was a member at Shelburne last year, likely will be again this year. I love the course, think they do a great job of making it all about the golf, pratice facility is like insanely well kept and designed for a cheap course and the people there are very nice. Lot’s of kids lots of actual golfers.

1 Like

G’day everyone noob refuge member living in the Blue Mountains just outside Sydney Australia.
watching NLU on YouTube has rekindled my love of the ancient game and so I have started rounding again.
cheers

7 Likes

Welcome to the Refuge! It’s a weird and beautiful mess. We’ve got a ton of different special interest threads like Year of the Blade, Roll Call threads, Booze threads, destination threads, PGA, LPGA, etc.

If you ever have any questions, please reach out!

Hi all, just joined the Nest and happy to be aboard. Currently living in Dubai and would love to tee it up with others who live our here, or anybody passing through

6 Likes

Hey Adam

I have a few golf nerd friends in Dubai forming a little community. One guy lives on the Els course.

DM me and I’ll hook you up. :+1:

Tough scene!

Hey everyone, Drake from Tyler, Texas here. Glad to meet you all.

5 Likes

Have no idea if I’m doing this right but I guess here goes… G’day, I live in south eastern Queensland, Australia. Don’t get to play as much as I like (who does?) but I still live and breathe the game. I love the spirit behind NLU and I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to join this community. Shoutout to Panther Mike

9 Likes

Lovely town. A few years ago, I was driving from Tyler to Dallas and a Ford Explorer hit a glass coffee table that was sitting in the middle of I-20. My rental car was showered with glass shards.

Welcome @Nando!

1 Like